She swallowed a coin.

Philippines
June 30, 2008 12:33pm CST
My friend's niece swallowed a coin and was rushed to a hospital. The doctor in charge conducted some tests for two days without doing anything. My friend and the poor little girl's mom decided to ask for a second opinion from another hospital. The doctor from the said hospital said that they could take out the coin easily without much tests. They rushed back to the hospital where the little girl was confined and to their surprise, the doctor did not permit the transfer. They have to have a quarrel with the staff before the patient was permitted to leave. Finally, the coin was easily removed using a magnetic instrument. The girl's health already deteriorated because of the two day confinement in the hospital that has no procedure for this type of accidebt. Beware..
4 people like this
19 responses
@deebomb (15322)
• United States
30 Jun 08
I am surprised that the Dr didn't tell the parents to take her home and give some prune juice or something similar. Some years ago my granddaughter swallowed a piece of wire about 1 inch long. I was scared that it would puncher something as we waited for it ti be expelled. The Dr. took an x-ry to make sure it Wasn't in her lungs. Since it wasn't the Dr sent us home and told us to keep checking her poo to make sure she expelled it. It is the same with coins. No matter how closely we watch little ones they do get things in their mouths and swallow them. Most times they expel them with their poo. But it is better to be safe than sorry. I'm glad that your friends niece is doing OK.
@golfproo (1841)
• Canada
30 Jun 08
Hi there, Well I am glad it turned out that the girls came out of this ok. That would be very scary for everyone involved. I think with any type of business or service it does help to be demanding at times. Sometimes people's needs will be overlooked if they are too passive. I have found that out from experience. I am glad it worked out in the end. cheers,
1 person likes this
• Philippines
30 Jun 08
Yes, If lives are at stake, we must move heaven and earth.
1 person likes this
@Jhordie (5115)
• Philippines
30 Jun 08
I am glad it was already removed. I wish her well and my God bless her and all other children too. To parents... please take care of your child and never give them something that they can easily put inside their mouth and swallow. God bless you too.
1 person likes this
• Philippines
30 Jun 08
Yup, this incident is kinda breathtaking. gOD bless, jhordie
1 person likes this
@PearlGrace (3172)
• United States
30 Jun 08
Gosh, this is a scary story about a child swallowing a coin! I do not think that our coins in the U.S. are magnetic, so I must assume you live elsewhere. I hope that the little girl is now fine and knows not to swallow coins. It is a difficult situation when hospitals and doctors disagree on what the proper treatment should be. But, glad she is okay. PearlGrace
• India
3 Jul 08
i dont understand why the doctor took two long days to remove the coin.. had he lack the know hows..really.. he could have advised the patient to be shifted to other hospital. If the doctor is confident that he could remove the coin easliy.. then why to wait.. i think.. i could have consulted some other..but his ego stop him, in accepting that he does not know..what to do in the situation... Really disgusting to see.. to take risk..against a little one. Thank God.. she is okay now.
• United States
2 Jul 08
Oh wow, thats not good!. hopstials should never permit someone not to leave. they should warn aginst it if neccesary, but never tell them YOU CANOT leave. im glad this little girl got that coin taken out.. but im sitting here and trying to figure out how they got it out. yes with a magnetic machine of some sort but how?? lol
@shorty08322 (1270)
• United States
1 Jul 08
hospital dnt care about noone and the doctor dont care about us so why do we go it is no need to go
• United States
1 Jul 08
I cant believe that they didnt just tell the parents to wait it out, that the coin would pass. About 6 months ago my grandson, (then 1 1/2 years) swallowed a penny and I had to to take him to his doctor (2 days after swallowing it) They took an exray and showed me exactly where it was located and informed me that within 2 days he would pass it. Sure enough, in 2 days there was a penny in his diaper...lol
• India
1 Jul 08
I am glad that the coin has been removed. Many doctors generally give medicines that promote defecation for removing the coin. You would want to be carefu woth such doctors as him, as I see may doctors are looking toward their patients as a source of money rather that paying attention on curing them.
@tessah (6621)
• United States
1 Jul 08
i honestly cannot see why doctors would behave in this manner over a simple swallowed coin... unless it was some giant coin that was obstructing the childs bowels on its exit.. most docs would just tell the mom to relax and wait until it appeared in the childs diaper in a day or so. ;looks confused;
@wachit14 (3600)
• United States
1 Jul 08
My own daughter swalled a penny when she was about two and a half years old. I immediately called my doctor and he, of course, asked me if she had any trouble swallowing or breathing. She appeared to be fine otherwise and he told me to have her eat a piece of bread and bring her in for x-rays. The penny never showed up on any x-rays, but eventually passed through her system without any problems at all. I'm not exactly sure why this little girl had to even be admitted into the hospital in the first place. Most of what occurred could have been completed on an out patient basis and the little girl would have not suffered the effects of confinement. Shame on the hospital for being so negligent!
@chiyosan (30205)
• Philippines
1 Jul 08
some doctors really do not know what they are doing! ha! i dont trust most of them, its like they only let you wait anf pay more..
@mimico (3619)
• Philippines
1 Jul 08
Oh my how awful! They should sue the first hospital where the doctor didn't immediately perform any treatment. I definitely would seek legal counsel. In any case, it's a good thing that the niece is now doing better. Hopefully she has learned her lesson not to swallow things compulsively. And someone in the household should always keep an eye on her.
@arddi2007 (202)
• Albania
1 Jul 08
i saw this thing on a movie. i felt sorry for the girl in the movie, but for this girl you just mentioned, i feel much more sorry. its not her fault, she should have been taught to not do these kind of things! but that is a lesson for her. i am glad that the doctors could remove the coin without any other procedure. i thought that sha was going to have an operation!!!
• India
1 Jul 08
It is very bad on the part of the hospital for conducting so many tests and confining the child to the hospital for two days,just because she swallowed a coin.A simple solution is to use a magnetic instrument and remove the coin within hours so that the child and her parents get relief.All these things suggests that the hospitals are worried about collecting more money from the parents rather than giving a good treatment.So I think this is a good example of how a worried patient is treated in a hospital.
@tammytwo (4303)
• United States
1 Jul 08
The item will usually move through the child's system, thus the reason for no action. My cousin swallowed a pinball when he was a kid and the doctor just had them come back every other day to be certain it was moving like it was supposed to.
@mscott (1924)
• United States
1 Jul 08
That is a crazy story. I don't want to pile on but now imagine the insurance company denying the claim because the first doctor didn't see it necessary. As high priced as insurance is can you imagine? This is the type of stunt they will try and pull.
@raclie (1732)
• Singapore
1 Jul 08
dont worry... if she swollowed a coin it will come out from the other end... but if it was stuck... maybe it will be better if you went to a hospital... hope she is recovering well!!!
• Canada
30 Jun 08
I can't believe the negligence of the hospital. If the girl could have gotten better treatment elsewhere, they should have legally had to release her. That's one of the saddest things I've ever heard. It's absolutely unbelieveable!!!