Texas Justice

@bobmnu (8160)
Joe Horn was not indicted by the Grand Jury for shooting and killing two men who had robbed his neighbors and were trying to flee. He called 911 but then took action after being told to stay in the house. Under the Texas Castle Law that gives people the right to use deadly force to protect your property and your neighbors property. Doy you agree with this Law? Should this law be changed?
Yes, this law needs to be changed. Lethal force should be allowed in the defense of property to a greater degree than it is. This would soon after being enacted result in much lower crime rates after a few petty criminals were killed. The resulting increase in civility and the decrease in lawlessness would be the worth the price of a few criminals suffering an early demise.
@bobmnu (8160)
If you can't defend your property and the police take time to respond. There is a story going around the internet about an old man who calls 911 to report a break in and is told that an officer will be there in about 10-15 minutes because non are available now. He calls back a minute later and tells them to cancel the request the, because he just killed the burgler. Within 2 minutes several police arrive on the scene only to find the burgler exiting the house with the stolen goods. The police ask the old man I thought you said you shot the man and the old man replied I thought you said there were no police available. We need to protect our selves and our property and the criminals need to know that we will.
@myklj999 (17054)
Yeah; and you also used to be able to shoot someone for cheating at poker; and dueling was an honourable way of settling differences; and we used to hang people for rustling. I think we're way too easy on criminals myself, but it's going to come to a day where someone sees someone climbing through a window, shoots and kills them, and then finds out it was the new neighbor that locked his keys in the house. I have no problem shooting some jerk that's in my house; bit I think this guy got just a tad carried away. After all, when the police dispatcher told him not to go out 'cause he could get hurt, his reply was "Wanna bet? I'm going to kill them."
We are not in disagreement that this so called Texas hero probably broke the law. Neither are we in disagreement that there are those who would mistakenly shoot people who were not committing a crime. The thing of it is, anyone who mistakenly shoots an innocent person would be held accountable. The upshot of this is that in practice very few people would shoot criminals committing property crimes. Even when it was legal it did not happen often. It would not happen often now as people would be aware of the possiblility of making a mistake and not want to risk going to prison. The few times citizens did shoot criminals for stealing their cars would dramatically depress crime, instead of increasing crime as happens when criminals are emboldened because they feel the citizen does not dare shoot. The fact of the matter is that coddling criminals while making it difficult on non criminal citizens to defend their property and persons is what has given us our ridiculous crime rate.
@myklj999 (17054)
He took action after telling the police dispatcher he was going to kill them. That's premeditated murder anywhere but Texas.
@bobmnu (8160)
One report I heard stated that at least one of the men was shot coming toward Mr. Horn and one had a club or something that looked threating. Mr. Horn felt he was defending his and his neighbors home.
@myklj999 (17054)
If you would go to the discussion I started about this two days ago, there's a link to the article about this stating that both men were shot in the back.
@myklj999 (17054)
http://www.mylot.com/w/newsarticle/829293.aspx
@gewcew23 (8011)
I am glad that Joe Horn was not charged. I remember hearing this story on Glen Beck show a while back about Mr. Joe Horn's story. Mr. Horn protected his neighbors property, while putting his own life in jeopardy. To me he is a hero, and deserves to be treated as such. I think the Texas Castle Law should be a law in every state.
@myklj999 (17054)
He went outside and shot two men in the back while the police were on their way there. That isn't a hero that's a vigilante.