Should I still go for it? It was my dream home but...

Malaysia
November 7, 2008 6:06pm CST
Helo everybody. Times flies so fast and without realizing it now it is already nearing Christmas and the end of the year. We have a little more than a month before we are celebrating our new year 2009. I am writing this to ask for your opinion on a house which I saw last week. It is a condominium and the minute I saw it, I fell in love with the house immediately. It has 3 beds, and 2 baths. The concept of the house is modern and it has its own yard and balcony so we won't feel so trapped living in it. We are able to breathe fresh air and it so happened the unit I was interested in is at the 10th floor. The view from there is great and the price is very reasonable. The original price is RM120k but I think the owner is going to sell it to me less than RM100k, because he had told me so about it. I saw he wrote on his business card which I got from the security guard of the condo, the price is RM80k which makes me feel even happier. My husband had already went to the bank and our money is more than enough to purchase the condominium. The question now is the owner is suddenly reluctant to sell. During our first conversation he told me he had to take the key from the developer first, because he still had not gotten the key to the unit. I was curious how come he didn't have the key because I can see the building is not that very new. I predict it must be more than 3 years. Then the owner asked me to deal with his secretary and until today she keeps saying he didn't get the key yet. It is as if they are trying to delay so that I would give up and change my mind from buying. If you are in my situation, what would you do? I really love the house and I think it is perfect home. It has a swimming pool and parking is available on the basement. And it has all other condo facilities. Maintenance fees is RM100+ and it is affordable for us to pay. What would you do now if you were me?
4 people like this
17 responses
@n30wing (4771)
• Philippines
8 Nov 08
Well if it's really meant for you it will just happen. Why not look for other houses or condo units their might be something better. Call the secretary of his to call you up when the keys are already there. But still look for other houses or condo units while waiting. Patience is a virtue my friend. Take your time, look around. God has always something for you. Think positively. Have a nice day!
1 person likes this
@Sir_bobby88 (8245)
• Singapore
8 Nov 08
Well i think it is better for you to buy it later because nowadays the economy isn't good yea , i think next 2 or 3 years will be the best time to buy
• Malaysia
8 Nov 08
Now the price is already down and I think now is the best time to buy. The banking BLR is so low, it never happened before. Anyway thanks for your response. Take care.
@KrauseHome (35035)
• United States
22 Dec 08
This really sounds like a Nice place, but if there are problems still with getting the place, then you need to be warry of this place as well. For me, this does not sound right of them not having the Key, etc. for you, and if he does ever produce it, I would be making sure things are done the legal way for sure. Your Best bet really might be to walk away from this, and count your losses as Good and start looking for something else.
@ronaldinu (12445)
• Malta
17 Nov 08
†+ If you like it and it is affordable yes I would go for it. However I would have a cooling off period so that you decide with lucid mind.
@Roseo8 (2947)
• India
13 Nov 08
hi ladysurvivor, I am not much of an expert when it comes to real estate.....If you really like the place,but the owner is reluctant to sell it,I guess its a waste of time waiting for him to change his mind.....You say the flat is 3 years old already.perhaps it would be beter if you ask the owner to show you the papers of the flat.You can show,them to your lawyer,and first find out if all the paper work is in order.Then you can even enquire in the near by flats about the owner,and about the particular flat.It appears you have not seen the inside of the flat yourself....So you have two options left..Either directly quote your price and demand the keys,and if he is reluctant,start looking else where......Good luck to you...
@4mymak (1796)
• Malaysia
10 Nov 08
i am quite surprised that you could buy an apartment for the price you mentioned.. very rare case where property is sold below the market price... i think the owner realized this, is probably trying to get a better deal now...i think the owner has found another buyer, and now trying to get a better deal from either one of you.. probably waiting for the other buyer to give her a price, and i think he'll go to you and ask if you can meet that price also.. if you wont/cant, most probably, he'll make some excuse to sell it to the other person.. i think it is probably be best also, if you could talk to some of the neighbours to see if the apartment is really as good as it looks.. talk the security as well.. just to be sure.. well, if you and your husband believe that you're making a good purchase.. why not wait, and see what happens... good luck !!
• India
9 Nov 08
Ask for a meeting with the owner and discuss the issue frankly with the owner. in all probablility he is getting a better offer or probably he is surprised at eh readiness with you accepted the offer and is wondering why he did not ask for more. he may be hoping that you will up the offer and he may be albe to make soem additional money. Just talk to him frankly.
@MsTickle (24962)
• Australia
9 Nov 08
I'd say he has changed his mind...he is probably regretting dropping the price by a third. He may have another buyer willing to pay more....offer him an extra 5k and see his reaction. It certainly seems like he is trying to discourage you for some reason....you could always put him on the spot and ask him for the delaying tactics...if you really want the house you may have to come forward. Good luck
@robert19ph (4584)
• Philippines
8 Nov 08
hello ladysurvivor, I know how you feel about it for looking for a property to buy is really hard and tough. Need to consider everything, the location, the style of the house, neighborhood, facilities and most especially the price. In your case, everything is perfect for money is not the problem plus the fact that you like the property. The only problem now is the owner, I think you need to confront him/her what's really is the reason why he/she is doing that - delaying tactic. In this way, you'll not suffer/expect that much and be able to know if that condo is really is for sale. If you really like it, have the right to know the real reason. If it's really for you, no matter what - then it will be done.
@mariposaman (2967)
• Canada
8 Nov 08
First I would make sure he owns the condominium and if you buy get title insurance. There may be other units in this same building so there will always be something coming up sooner or later. I can understand your impatience, however the guy is acting suspicious. Is that avatar a picture of Angelina Joli or you. If it is you, you look a lot like her.
• Philippines
8 Nov 08
think about it first don't rush things
@zemlene (354)
• Philippines
8 Nov 08
well i think the owner is reluctant now to sell to you because maybe he has another buyer who wants to pay more than you do. He is giving that alibi so you will be impatient for the delay then consequently forget the deal you had with him and find some other place. When that happens , the owner will have a better deal than yours. That's only my speculations though. Anyway, if you really want that house so much, then you have to talk with him again personally and not through his secretary. Make it a point that he sees your views and you too knows his reasons for the delay. Then maybe you can lure him off with a better deal not only for your part but the seller as well. Hope everything will be fine and you can close the deal as soon as possible for you dream home.
@sara1981 (10)
• China
8 Nov 08
very glad to share your idea.From your word,i am sure the house must be very beautifu and the price is suitable for you.but the question is the owner does not want to sell it now.no matter how good the house is,it is useless .so ,in my opinion,you should face the turth,if i were you, i would give up.i will not think about it,and i will find other house. i am sure i can find another one.you shoud know,"where there is a will,there is a road." have a good time
@stephcjh (32328)
• United States
8 Nov 08
I would stick with it if you are that interested in it. I would not let them detour me. I would keep asking about it until I got it.
• China
8 Nov 08
Having read your description of the condominium,i found i also like this condo,it seems like that this is also my dream home.now the owner is reluctant to to sell,you can find a whole time to talk with him,tell you that this condominium is your dream home,it is important for your life,you are not just finding a house,what you are finding is a home in your heart.i think the owner can understand you,then you will get it.good luck for you!
@oriental (1051)
• Uruguay
8 Nov 08
I think that it all depends on how much you have advanced in your conversation with the owner. Have you any paper signed by him or it has all been talked. In this last case I don´t think you can do much, except offer more money. Good luck!
• United States
8 Nov 08
I would proceed with caution, since the seller is acting weird. This is a huge purchase, and you don't want to rush in.