Should the CA Attorney General Defend Prop?

@bobmnu (8160)
The people of California have spoken on the definition of Marriage. Now there is a group challenging the issue in court. The Attorney General, who works for the State of California and there fore the people, has come out saying that he supports the courts overturning the voters of California. Should the Attorney General be working against the people of California? If he supports the overturning of the voters should he resign from his post?
@anniepa (27244)
I'm going to play devil's advocate here; part of me doesn't understand why something like this was even put to a vote before the people. I mean, if it's something that's going to affect everyone, like a tax increase or a new law, then the people should have a say in it but why should I get to say who you can marry or vice versa? It wouldn't change my life in the least bit but the ban hurts many people. What will be the next thing somebody decides to "redefine" that will interfere with people's private lives? What if somebody decided everyone has to get sterilized to keep the population down and the majority voted for it? What if only those who wanted and were able to have children were allowed to marry? What will be next? Annie
@anniepa (27244)
Technically, the CA AG should defend Prop 8 since it is the law but I feel it should take more than a percentage or two to amend the state constitution. I'm sorry, I know that's off-topic, too, but I do find it disturbing that some people are so concerned with the personal matters of others when there are so many pressing problems to worry about. I have no personal stake in this since I'm not gay and have no family members who are, but I do have some gay friends and some of them have been together longer and are more faithful and devoted to each other than many of my straight friends. I don't think the Religious Right will be happy until everyone conforms to their standards. Annie
@bobmnu (8160)
Why should one judge or a panel of judges have more say than the people who are folloing what their Consitiution says? I beleive that the orginal ruling was that the Consitiution was mute on the subject so the judges decided that gay marriage was legal. The issue was pointed out that polomigy was only forbidden by law and not the Consitiution so was that not legal also? The people voted to define marriage as one man and one woman and a majority of the voters agreed, as is the legal manner. If they want it changed then the proper way is to change the consititution not have a judge say I don't think it is right.