Prison Population Back On the Streets...

@LadyMarissa (12162)
http://www.wgntv.com/search/wgntv-quinn-prisoners-release-sept20,0,7268016.story The state of Illinois has decided to release 1,000 non-violent prisoners in order to save money. These prisoners will be on ankle monitoring until their sentence is up (in most cases about a year). I don't know why, but this idea makes me nervous. Instead of a blanket release why not release those whose tenure is questionable??? I know they say it will be the non-violent population. Somewhere along the way, a violent prisoner will make their way out & kill somebody. I hope this does not become a trend across the country. Does this bother you as much as it bothers me??? What are your thoughts on the releasing of prisoners???
@malamar (784)
I don't think that would really bother me very much LadyMarissa. After all, if they are going to be released in another year anyway, are they any more dangerous today then they would be next year? Also, they will be monitored to some degree, so that is good. There are a great many bad people in the world, not all of them have even been to prison. After all, if this release was done without publicity, you wouldn't even know about it in the first place. In a way, this gives you a heads-up to be diligent about safety, which you should be with or without this situation.
@stephcjh (32328)
It scares me too. i hope it does not become a trend across the country either. I think alot of them should be locked up. the ones who have committed musrder should not be living either since they took someone elses life.
@cbjones (1157)
You could kinda see this coming those. I mean, news shows have done reports on over population of the prison system. How many of these non violent prisoners really deserved to be there anyway? How many were busted on weed charges, and got thrown in there with a five year sentence? Are those people really such a dangerous to society that they need to be locked up with serial killers and other riff raff? You have too many judges who think a prison sentence can fix any and all problems. I say go for it, release the guy who got locked up for credit card fraud. Keep the truly dangerous mofo's in there, and reevaluate what crimes fit that punishment. I understand the panic on this issue though. How do you know that certain jails won't try to save a little extra money by releasing more than just the non violent prisoners? You'd be foolish to think that dollar signs wouldn't cloud the common man's judgment at least a little bit.
@dragon54u (31607)
So what is the deterrent to people who commit crimes? This is a good economic move but a terrible example. People will know that if they commit nonviolent crimes they will probably serve little or no time in prison. Yes, this makes me uncomfortable. How long till they release violent criminals?