cats can really taste sweet foods like chocolates?

Philippines
January 28, 2010 2:08pm CST
my cats always crave for the chocolate! they perhaps state the sweetness of foods huh! \
9 responses
@owlwings (37689)
• Cambridge, England
28 Jan 10
Chocolate (and onions) should not be given to cats or dogs. Chocolate contains theobromine which is harmless to humans but is toxic to cats and dogs. You should read the following page: http://cats.about.com/cs/catfood/a/humanfood.htm . from About.Com. It has some very good and reliable information
1 person likes this
• United States
29 Jan 10
I didn't know about the onion, what about garlic? One of my labs got hold of a bulb (not a clove, the whole bulb) and ate the whole thing, she is alright as this was a long time ago, but man! Did her poops stink worse the normal for a few days.
1 person likes this
@owlwings (37689)
• Cambridge, England
29 Jan 10
Bellerophon, it appears that dogs can tolerate small amounts of onion and garlic without noticeable effects. Cats, being smaller, perhaps, may be more sensitive. It is difficult to find conclusive advice but it seems that the effects vary from individual to individual and that even though an animal may seem OK on one occasion, another time may need emergency treatment. This page may be of interest: http://www.vetinfo.com/dtoxin.html
1 person likes this
@jb78000 (15178)
29 Jan 10
they shouldn't be given chocolate at all, as several people have pointed out. but to answer your question, no cats can not taste sugar. they can detect the texture of fat which is probably what they liked. you can give them cream as a very occasional treat instead but please no more chocolate.
1 person likes this
• United States
29 Jan 10
Chocolate is on every list of foods that are poisonous to cats and dogs that I have seen. I've known many people to think it's ok to feed them because they've done it in the past and had no adverse results. But please don't do it. I've read that toxins can accumulate in their liver and all of a sudden it's too much and can cause them to become very ill or even die. There's no set amount that is safe before it affects an animal.
1 person likes this
@mcat19 (1358)
• United States
29 Jan 10
Aside from the fact that chocolate is poison to cats and can kill them, cats have no taste sensors for sweet things. They cannot taste anything that is sweet. They like other things. There are treats made specially for cats. If you need to give your cat something special, give your cat those cat treats.
1 person likes this
@kaylachan (4778)
• Daytona Beach, Florida
29 Jan 10
I've had cats attracted to strange foods that they normally wouldn't like, but I wouldn't give it to them. Chocolate could be harmful to the animal, but it depends on the qunity, the breed and how often they are offered/given the treat. For example, cats are suposed to be able to tolarate milk in small controlled amounts. I had one cat however that was alleregic to it. So just because the cat seems attracted to it, doesn't always mean its good for it. Be very careful.
1 person likes this
@tuyakiki (3026)
• India
28 Jan 10
As far as I have heard,chocolates are harmful for cats and so, it would be better if you don't give them these types of foods.It also may kill them. Cats crave for chocolates..????This information is quiet new to me.
1 person likes this
• United States
28 Jan 10
Hello. I am not sure you are supposed to be feeding a cat chocolate. If I were you I would read up and make sure it doesn't harm them. I have always heard that it could kill them. I don't think they can properly digest chocolate.
1 person likes this
@minx267 (10995)
• Hartford, Connecticut
28 Jan 10
DO NOT GIVE CHOCOLATE to CATS!.. It is deadly to them and can kill cats and dogs.
@5mayday (1054)
• Norway
28 Jan 10
I really want to know too... my mom have given chocolate to my cat. But atleast the cat is healthy now =) I will tell them to stop giving such food to them.
@owlwings (37689)
• Cambridge, England
28 Jan 10
Some cats (and dogs) can tolerate small amounts of chocolate. Chocolate, however, contains things (for example, theobromine) which can be toxic to cats and dogs. Humans and cats have very different metabolisms and we can eat things that would make a cat sick if they ate them, just as cats can eat things that would make us sick if we ate them.
2 people like this