Why Multiple Same Category?

Why does Mylot allow the same category to be opened more than once? The are, to my knowledge, 3 Internet, 2 Politics and 2 Health. Why not consolidate these same categories and have only one of each? While I understand that a topic may fall in more than one category, why 2 or 3 sets of the same category?
@anklesmash (1416)
I agree that it is a little bit pointless having more than one of the same interest categories.However it isn't really that big of a deal is it i mean it isn't hard to join multiple groups is it and the most recent discussions are shown by category at the top of the page and i find this more useful in finding a good discussion to contribute to than looking at the topics i have stated as my interst.
But why the multiple groups for the same interest category? I have had a friend notify me by email of discussion in one category and assuming there was only one category for an interest, I went to the one I first saw only to later find the discussion was in another group of same category! Why don't you tell me the big deal in having multiple groups of the same interest category? Would you not like to know that all topics in an interest category were available to you whenever you check-out a category?
@mysdianait (64056)
All interests are created by users here and it should be their responsability to make sure that there is not already an interest available before creating a duplicate/similar one.
"They never hesitate to delete discussions with views they simply do not like!" The threads I deleted of yours were guideline violations, I could honestly care less what the views expressed in them were.
GoAskAlice, what discussion do you speak of and what guideline violations? I have had several discussions deleted for simply stating facts, especially those stating facts about prominent conservatives. Except for one discussion days ago in which I gave link to one of my online documentations (so I would not have to load my response with pages of information), my deleted discussions had no obscenity or personal weblink and the deletion surprised even some top contenders here on Mylot. GoAskAlice, I am glad you posted here. For if you are the person in my deleted started discussion "Japan's 9.0 Magnitude Earthquake Engineered" (reposted) who did not like my opinion and later noted you would get the discussion deleted, I have wanted to remember you.
You can join anyone you like and leave the others alone. I have joined mylot and mylots because I like getting more to read and respond to. This is one of the good things about being on mylot. You are not forced to join all of these.
It is not a matter of being forced or which to go to. When I visit Mylot, I would like to know that when, for instance, I am in category Politics, all topics in Politics are available to me in the Politics category I am viewing. These are the same category, why more than one? It appears stupid and very disorganized to have more than one of any category!
@jend80 (2068)
it's a side effect of letting users create any group/interest they want and them not being controlled by mylot. I agree it's annoying when there's similar groups with slightly different names or more than one for a tv programme/band but one's a typo. Mylot should at least add something to the create an interest section that suggests already existing interests with similar names.