A company did this!

@maximax8 (28284)
United Kingdom
On television I saw a program in which electric waste was tagged to see where it would end up. The law is the electric waste should be recycled in my home country. Only electic goods that are in working order are allowed to be shipped out to poor countries. Then they are sold at low prices so the local people can afford something like a second hand television. The tagged items that were electic waste arrived by container ship to West Africa. They got to Nigeria and Ghana. They showed a river side with all the electic waste. There are dangers the poor local people. There are gases and lead coming from the electic waste. They showed a 12 year old boy with sore hands getting copper. What do you think about this company sending electric waste to West Africa? How could this be stopped do you think? Is is possible to help the people that are in these poor African countries?
I think the only way to stop this is for the countries to protest them shipping their garbage there. But perhaps as you mentioned maybe they'd hope that people stripping things like copper out of the old items would generate some income for people but then what do you do with what is unusable? I question all these items and wonder why we've allowed things to be made that cannot be reused or break down in time? It makes no sense.
It's possible the dangers of materials used where unknown as of production... Or conveniently withheld from the public by malicious and greedy people. an example would be materials used in computer casings, keyboards, and accessories. These materials are neither biodegradable nor recyclable. In the end, these e-waste turn up in developing countries as "surplus." It's high time production companies become environmentally responsible.
@watergirl (569)
It's horrible but true. Developed countries "donate" e-waste to developing countries. These e-wastes find their way into local markets in the disguise of "surplus" and "pre-owned" gadgets and appliances.
@bounce58 (17526)
I think this is horrible! This I think is the problem with companies in industrialized countries. They always try to ship their old products to poorer countries in the guise of goodwill, when in reality they are just actually shipping their garbage overseas. And then they cause health issues. All of these, out of sight of the richer countries' citizens.
@GreenMoo (11842)
I didn't see this story, but I've seen so many stories about 'recycling' being shipped abroad and then dumped that it doesn't surprise me at all. Sadly, there are companies who will do anything for an extra buck.