The boy got electrocuted

India
January 15, 2013 5:55am CST
And the reason was ‘kite’; this morning a boy aged about 8 years was electrocuted and his body was burnt; while on way to hospital he died. I received this information over phone from my son. There is a transformer near our home in Sambalpur which is almost open; any one can go near it. In the past cows, goats have died due to electrocution. The boy was flying kite on occasion of Makar Sankranti. His kite stuck on the overhead electric wire, to get it back the boy tried to ride the electric pole; he climbed over the big transformer and got electrocuted. One can see such unprotected transformers, electric poles with bunch of wires hanging down; not only in my city but many other places. Birds, cattle, monkeys, human beings die; but the government as well as electricity department is silent over it. What is the scenario in your place? Please comments on this please. Thanks in advance. January 15 2013.
3 people like this
9 responses
@dorannmwin (36698)
• United States
17 Jan 13
Occasionally there are people that are killed around here as a result of electrocution, but this is not something that is common to have happen at all. I have personally never known a person that was killed as a result of electrocution, but I know people that know someone that has. As far as kites and electrocution go, I've never even heard of someone that was electrocuted as a result of flying a kite, that is personally or even something that I've heard about on the news.
1 person likes this
• India
22 Jan 13
Here every thing is possible, the municipality, the officers workers of electricity dept are all corrupted, thanks for the information at your place.
@marguicha (94728)
• Chile
16 Jan 13
When I was a child that was a terrible thing that happened often. Now I don{t hear much about it, but I don´t know if it is because transformers are more protected or because with the arrival of so many cars, there is no such thing as playing in the streets much anymore.
1 person likes this
• India
16 Jan 13
Thanks for response Sister. Hope you are fine.
@jenny1015 (13389)
• Philippines
16 Jan 13
Kite flying isn't that famous here anymore, most especially that I live in the city and kids here are practically glued on their seats holding their latest game consoles and gadgets. But I guess, in certain provinces, where there are large space that would allow kids to fly kites, that is still possible. But I have never heard such accidents for the past 10-15 years. Maybe there were freak accidents but were never in the news.
1 person likes this
• India
16 Jan 13
Thanks for detailed response, glad to know such accidents don't occur there.
@louievill (18663)
• Philippines
15 Jan 13
Then why not put a barbed wire fence around the transformer so no on can go near or enter it?
1 person likes this
• India
16 Jan 13
When they fix the high voltage transformer they do build walls, or put barbed wire fence, but the walls are broken, the wire is stolen by some lol. Thanks for response.
@Cutie18f (9563)
• Philippines
15 Jan 13
Why did he do that? Didn't his parents tell him that it is dangerous to go near such things? I can't help but blame his parents for the boy wouldn't have done that had he been properly informed or warned. And what is your government doing to stop these bad incidents of electrocution?
1 person likes this
• India
16 Jan 13
This is not the first time it happened, you can see branches of trees touching the electric lines, creepers reach the wires too, when there is protest, they come put some kind of fence, cut the branches, creepers, but they do appear. Some parents do teach their kids though. Thanks for response.
@mariaperalta (19096)
• Mexico
15 Jan 13
so sad.. funny how accidents can happen sometimes. Kids need to be careful. Take care there...
1 person likes this
• India
16 Jan 13
I agree they should be careful. Thanks for response.
@sid556 (31005)
• United States
15 Jan 13
Oh that is horrible!! I don't know about the transformers around here but I assume that they are safer. I have heard of squirrels getting killed in them fairly frequently but not humans or other animals. I hope that this is an eye-opener for them to do something to correct this problem.
1 person likes this
@Sreekala (22959)
• India
12 Feb 13
Dear Maa, The kite flying is always leaded to accidents in many ways. Here in this place kite flying is very much popular at the time of Independence Day celebration. Kids are very much active and raising the kites from their terrace. You may aware that here the flats or apartments have more than 4 floors. Children concentrate on the kite and forget about where they stand, and falling from the roof. You can imagine how much dangerous is this. In your place the open transformer is the threat. It may the irresponsibility of the electricity department; they would have taken care of this and save people’s and animals life. In nutshell kite flying is leading accidents to all over the place.
@KrauseHome (35034)
• United States
25 Jan 13
This is horrible. Personally I am hoping that they will find a way to fix this so that this does not happen to someone else. Here in the US they have places like this enclosed, and always locked to keep people out, and sounds like they need to do something there as well. This is sad and I feel for the parents.