When the room is beige

@cahaya1983 (10185)
Malaysia
... what would you do? Not that I despise the color or anything, but it's usually considered bland and boring, right? So for the sake of the argument let's make it beige. Typically you would have two options: repaint the room with a different color of your choice and start customizing the space from there, or make the most out of that beige color (using accents, contrasts, etc.). It's not about choosing the easier option. It's more about which option you think would produce better results. Oh, and there's no right or wrong answer.
I like a warm beige color, bright colors after a moment become annoying.
@cahaya1983 (10185)
I've never liked bold colors either. I like having one accent wall painted in a different color and leaving the rest in beige or other neutral colors.
@cahaya1983 one wall painted a different color is a great idea. it gives character to the room.
@cahaya1983 (10185)
@hereandthere Yeah I did it with my living room and matched it with the color of the curtain. It looks great.
@hereandthere (25134)
i actually find it relaxing. but to answer your question, i'd buy curtains, furniture, carpet, rugs, lamps, paintings in the colors i like.
@cahaya1983 (10185)
Nice, and actually if you can match the interior decor well with the beige color, the space can in fact look very nice.
@cahaya1983 i think beige clothes are the same. you pair them with something bright or accessorize.
@cahaya1983 (10185)
@hereandthere True. You just have to be creative to mix and match things.
@sofssu (14715)
My walls are all beige.. I just had one wall painted orange.. and highlighted the whole living room with softer tones of that color. I hate orange.. it was a moment of madness that turned out to be a perfect genius decision. Everyone who walks in says something good about it. The boys bedrooms have blue on opposite walls and our has a pastel green.
@cahaya1983 (10185)
Oh yes different colors can suit different spaces. I've always preferred soft and neutral colors for the living room. Pastel green for the bedroom sounds lovely!
@sofssu (14715)
@cahaya1983 I have also thought similarly.. But it wasn't until I played around with colors especially the loud ones did I know how much the can make an impact if used sparingly.
@boiboing (12438)
• Northampton, England
I can imagine it's boring in Malaysia but it works just fine in most of Europe.
@cahaya1983 (10185)
Uh, not really. In fact you can see more living rooms here in beige or cream than any other color. I think it's more about personal preference than a regional one.
@boiboing @cahaya1983 i'm used to while walls, ceilings, lace curtains. maybe the climate is also a factor.
@cahaya1983 (10185)
@hereandthere I like neutral colors for some rooms, and some bright pastel colors for other rooms.
• Greece
I would stay with the beige and use the money I save on the paint to buy some brilliant posters or wall hangings that would be a pleasure to look at.
@cahaya1983 (10185)
I've seen some great transformations simply by using beautiful posters and wall frames. Many of them are not very expensive either.
@cahaya1983 i'd rather hang inexpensive paintings and framed posters than assorted knick-knacks that might fall and break and need constant dusting.
@cahaya1983 (10185)
@hereandthere Durability is key, of course. There's a place here where you can find lots of good quality wall decor for affordable prices.
It also depends on whether you own or rent. If you rent you really can't do a paint job without permission of the landlord, so accents are the way to go. If you own, the possibilities are endless.
in some places, you can't even nail anything on the walls
@cahaya1983 (10185)
True. I remember our first landlord didn't mind us painting the house in whatever color we wanted. But I've also seen rentals that still look nice even in beige. I think it really depends on our creativity to make the space look nice.
@cahaya1983 (10185)
@hereandthere Yeah I know some landlords are very strict. One of our rentals had holes in the wall left by the previous tenants but they could be easily patched using fillers. They covered them up very well.
@salonga (28074)
I found beige boring on walls. I have always love happy colors. So if room is beige and I have no way to repaint it, I will just accentuate with lively colors, by using colorful curtains, throw pillows, carpets etc. I will also add colorful fresh flowers.
@cahaya1983 (10185)
Putting fresh flowers sounds lovely, especially those that have brilliant colors. They can really make the space look fresh and lively.
When I moved into my house the walls are all beige. Rather than repaint I just brought out color in other ways (like bright throw pillows on my sofa) and a pretty comforter for my bed. I hardly notice the beige anymore
@cahaya1983 (10185)
Very nice! In fact repainting might not always be an option for renters so that's a great way to add colors to the room.
Any color goes with beige, lots of accent colors.
@cahaya1983 (10185)
Yeah it's a color that's easy to match with anything. A lot of accents can make the room look nice.
It's all in the range of personal tastes.
@cahaya1983 (10185)
It sure is, but what's your personal taste?
@rakski (2582)
I will probably accentuate it. It easier to accentuate than getting it painted with other color. Since it is one of the natural color, all color goes along with it.
@cahaya1983 (10185)
Yeah it's definitely easier to decorate than repaint, which is why I mentioned in the post it's not about which one is easier but which one you think would produce better results.
@rakski (2582)
@cahaya1983 i still choose accentuate. There are tons to do that can make the room more interesting. Putting darker or colorful furniture is one way to accentuate it. If in the long run after it is already boring in your you can then paint it.
@rakski (2582)
Beige allows you to have other colours in the room. Beige is warm and does not bore you. My walls are white.
@cahaya1983 (10185)
I like the warm ambience it gives too, especially for the living room.
• Marion, Kansas
I will be facing this soon, as I remodel a kitchen. It turns out that I like beige and will accent it with navy blue and burgundy and possibly hunter green. It has more liveliness than white or eggshell which are the other colors on the walls here. I will stick with beige in the kitchen, other light colors to cover the white around the house.
@cahaya1983 (10185)
I'm biased because I love burgundy, but I really think it would make a great accent color! I hope your new remodeled kitchen would turn out great.
I like to repaint the room every once in a while to freshen it up, but as I have limited funds, I can only paint one room every couple of years. If a room is beige, you can use any color you want in the furniture and accents. If you like to change things up or if you like bright colors, beige can be a good background color. It does give you options.
@cahaya1983 (10185)
I agree. Painting can be a big job and sometimes not an option for renters, but if you own the house it's nice to change things around every now and then. I also like the idea of using wall decals - the options are endless nowadays!
Beige is also a nice color for me , when it comes to the inside of the house. It can make the house seem bright and spacious .
@cahaya1983 (10185)
It makes the room look warm and cozy too. For me it depends on what room it is, beige color is nice for the living room but I would choose other colors for the bedroom.
I would opt to change the color of the room probably either a soft lilac or blue then have accents in shades of those colors to make it really beautiful .I also have had success with one wall a darker color and the others a softer shade or a good contrast in a lighter color and make the accents to go with your paint colors.
@cahaya1983 (10185)
Oh yeah I like that style where you paint one wall a darker color as an accent wall and make the others a softer shade. That's what we did with our living room and I love it.
@Rollo1 (16708)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I might stick with the beige because you can change everything else anytime you want to.
@cahaya1983 (10185)
Beige and white are definitely colors that can match easily with everything.
@amnabas (9981)
• Karachi, Pakistan
I like beige color its soft and suttle.
@cahaya1983 (10185)
I like beige for the living room, but for bedrooms I usually like it painted in other pastel colors.
@thesids (22453)
• Bhubaneswar, India
Most of the places that I have stayed in, almost all have this beige color. Personally, I dont have any issues. I think I would prefer a pure white instead of this though. At least there will be more brightness.
@cahaya1983 (10185)
I actually prefer beige to white, maybe because of the warm ambience. I've seen beach-themed houses with white interior though, and they're very nice! It just depends on how you fit everything else with the wall color.
@thesids (22453)
• Bhubaneswar, India
@cahaya1983 Many a times, it is easier to fit the wall color with everything else
@cahaya1983 (10185)
@thesids Really? I'd rather do it the other way around. Cheaper too!
@Micmac (6996)
I have one room painted in beige. To make it look more alive, I decorate the walls with bright colored pictures, and offset the bland with bold accents like vases, bowls, pillows, and couch throws.
@cahaya1983 (10185)
That's a great way to decorate a room. Sometimes a few accents on a console table or a coffee table can make the room look really nice.
@Micmac (6996)
@cahaya1983 Yes, and the accents add a bit of contrast to a bland color as well as make the room look inviting.