My bank account got hacked

I got my statement from the bank in the mail yesterday. I went to balance my checkbook to make sure I had all my purchases accounted to and noticed three charges on my account that I never made. On leap day there was three withdraws of $404.94 from two different Walmart in Florida. The total taken out of my account was $1214.82. Yikes! I have never even been to Florida. I have no idea how this happened. I called the bank yesterday and they told me to go to my local office and report it. They cancelled that account number and printed me a new card. The machine kept malfunctioning so it took a lot longer then it should have. It is all taken care of now. They said the money should immediately go back into my account but if not within a day it would be.
You are fortunate that the money will be returned. I am surprised that your bank didn't alert you about this. Most keep an eye on suspicious activity.
They told me that they usually will try to call me and let me know. I do know that last time there was suspicious activity they did call me. This time I didn't get a call or the phone wasn't working properly if they did try to call. I gave them my cell phone number in case of future problems. Good thing I checked my statement when it came in the mail!
@shaggin I check my account online frequently to make sure there isn't a problem.
@akalinus (15720)
@shaggin That is how I found out about the credit card ripoff. The bank called to tell me they put a hold on my credit card until they verify that the charges were legit. They certainly were not.
@akalinus (15720)
I hate these human leeches that get away with that stuff. Someone used my credit card number to charge hundreds of dollars worth of stuff in another state. I ended up not having to pay the charges. There was a fraud investigation,card cancelled and a new one issued. I don't know how they got my card number because it was in my possession all the time. It must have been an inside job or someone hacked the bank.
@akalinus (15720)
@Marty1 They keep finding new ways to rip people off and make their life difficult. Like you said, they could use their talent to make the world a better place.
@Marty1 and @akalinus it makes no sense to me at all how they got my bank account information. The only thing I could come up with is that when I used my card at Mcdonalds in PA maybe their info got hacked so they were able to find out peoples credit and debit card numbers and use them in FL. This has happened to others at Target in the past.
@shaggin Glad, you got a new card and am happy you will get your money back. I know somebody who got over 400 dollars spent in Pennsylvania when we live here but he was in Florida at the time! His credit card company called him and asked him if he spent that much at some store that was a specialty shop I forget what it was for or the name of the shop! It is shameful what the average good person like you have to go through because some person decides they want to be an identity thief!
I wonder if the bank would have got in touch with you if you hadn't noticed this yourself. It's very worrying.
@fishtiger58 (30338)
• Momence, Illinois
Wow that's a lot of money stolen. Glad the bank is going to make that right. I so prefer cash. So someone stole your debit card number?
I used to always pay for everything with cash. I worry about my wallet getting stolen though. If someone steals my wallet I will never get the cash back but I could report my wallet stolen and my bank card would be cancelled so no one could use it. It was such a strange amount of money to steal. It seems like an even amount would have made more sense. If they had only taken out one amount it would have looked a lot less suspicious. I wouldn't have noticed it right away either.
@fishtiger58 (30338)
• Momence, Illinois
@shaggin I have never had any cash stolen from me, but I always put it in the front pocket of my jeans. Those debit cards scare me my brother had money stolen twice because of those cards. So I just stick with cash or checks.
I am so glad you caught that theft. I will now read my statements very carefully from now on. So glad you were able to get this settled.
Glenn told me that I really should monitor my account better using the online tools. I really feel no need to log in. I keep track of my purchases so I know how much is in my account. I get a statement once a month and have never had problems like this before. I guess I have been really lucky up until now.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I hope they catch the bad guys. They won't do much time even if they're caught, though. Glad you were made "whole."
I really hope that whoever did this is caught and goes to jail. My money will be returned over night at the latest so I am not real worried. Some people have to wait weeks for their banks to clear the situation up though. I am really thankful that isn't the case with mine. I was worried that the bills and things I had bought and paid for online would get messed up now but it won't they said.
Holy cow that is a LOT of money! What is wrong with people? I am glad your getting a new account.
@sugartoes (40735)
• Greencastle, Indiana
OH MAN that's the very reason why we have a savings acct, cause we were done the same way. now we just take out what we need to pay the bills we have & that stopped that crap in a hurry. we pay with money orders & not online cause so much can happen that way we play it safe.
Seems like in order to prevent fraud we have to go back to the old ways of just paying with cash. I hate that. I do not like to have to carry larger amounts of cash on me. I typically only keep $50 or $60 in my wallet. My father was telling me yesterday that the bank advised him to keep a little in the checking account and the rest in a savings account. I may open a savings account and do that.
@IvySaysHi (4344)
oh my gosh that is insane. My fiance went through the same but not that amount of money. Someone allll the way in California, the opposite end of the country had used money form his account to buy stuff from victorias secret
That is pretty much the same thing here as far as the distance goes. I am in Pennsylvania. I would love to be in Florida right now though but I have never even been there. I have no clue how someone so far away could have gotten my debit card number. It seems so strange to me.
This is a good reason to monitor your accounts online. That is if you have a secure Internet connection.
@Shiva49 (12976)
Good that you noticed. I overlook to check cash withdrawals - siva
@rina110383 (24135)
It's good that you did balancing of your checkbook and that you reported it immediately. I hope the money is back in your account now. If that happened here in my country, it will take months before one could recover the lost money due to fraud.
That would be horrible if it happened there and it took months for you to get your money back. Especially if you didn't have much in there and they drew it all out. Then you would have no money to pay bills etc. That is a very scary thought. Thankfully here it is not like that and the money should already be back in my account by now.
@rina110383 (24135)
@shaggin Exactly! I'm just wondering. Is your card not linked to your phone so that if there are unauthorized purchases, you will be alerted through phone notification? Or it would be risky if they are linked?
@rina110383 The bank had my house phone and a lot of time it doesn't work correctly. They probably did try to call me and I never got it. Now they have my cell phone number so they can get a hold of me easier if something like this should happen in the future. I hope that it doesn't happen again though.
From where will the money get back to your account?
I am not really sure. There is a type of insurance on our accounts so if this kind of thing happens. I got a letter today that the money they put back in my account is temporary and once they investigate it the actually money will be put back into my account within 90 days. I am confused about this.
@shaggin Insurance is a great thing. But there could be slips on the part of the Bank too. So after checking everything they will do the final thing I suppose.
@dodoazo (19454)
For the sake of discussion, that is always the possibility to get hacked especially your bank account if you didn't some online business transaction, online shopping and anything which is done online. You are lucky that you have discovered earlier and you have reported it and some actions have already been done to resolve the matter. We are crossing our fingers that it will be resolved and your money lost would be refunded or redeposited to your bank account.
I hadn't shopped online in awhile though so it didn't make sense that my account was hacked from shopping online. The only place that I had used my debit card that day was at McDonalds here in PA. I cannot understand how someone got my info and used it in FL. I am just so thankful that my money will be returned and I don't have any more to worry about. I hope they catch the people who did this.
That is really scary! I am glad it worked out!
@cherriefic (4692)
• Baguio, Philippines
Good thing you will be able to get it back. We really can't tell nowadays...
@rosekiss (30273)
• Eugene, Oregon
I would be livid if that ever happend to me, as I don't haved a lot of money in the first place. I don't know how poeple can do that to others. It is awful. They need to get a job and stop sttealing from others. Some people are just plain mean.
@softbabe44 (5902)
• Vancouver, Washington
That just irks me badly when someone takes from another it just makes us Leary when theses things happen.
@Scindhia (1947)
• Chennai, India
Its scary and worrying when things like this happen. Glad your bank stepped in and corrected it.
Yikes! Glad everything is now resolved/taken care of for you!