It was a long walk

A sidewalk in Salina, Ks.
Marion, Kansas
There are no good sidewalks where I live now, so I walked on the grass or on the streets, which are somewhat uneven at the edges. That is okay though. There are all kinds of phlox blooming, and red bud trees. I saw lots of tulips as well as flowering quince. Best of all I could smell the lilacs. A walk outdoors can engage all the senses--I walked down a dirt road that was parallel to the train track. I heard it slowly moving and passing me. I heard an angry wren before I left my yard. I pulled some wild garlic and enjoyed the taste as I walked along as well. For me walking outdoors is definitely preferred over a treadmill inside.
@Marcyaz (35756)
Where I live there are no sidewalks as it is just a country road but at least it is paved. lol Can't wait unitl the weather turns nice and I can sit outside with the dogs.
• Marion, Kansas
It is nice here today. Cold and windy yesterday. Then later this afternoon a lot of burning around.
@Marcyaz (35756)
@GardenGerty It was fairly nice out but the wind made it seem colder than it was.
• Marion, Kansas
@Marcyaz When the hot weather gets here I am counting on that wind to keep me cooler.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
I go out every day, but usually only for a short while and do walk a great deal.
• Marion, Kansas
I have to find a purpose or place to go.There is not much to do here.
@sallypup (26320)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Your walk sounds like a pretty one. I learned my lesson about using a treadmill. You remind me that there is a lilac bush around back of the garden. It would not kill me to walk out there and gather a few lilac blooms for the house. Thanks.
• Marion, Kansas
Enjoy them I need to decide where I would grow them if I had them.
@sallypup (26320)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@GardenGerty Lilacs grow like weeds here. There were two white ones and a purple when we moved into this place.
• Marion, Kansas
@sallypup I purchased a house that had been a rental, so not a lot of "pretty" around.
@AnneEJ (5025)
• Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
Glad you were able to have a nice walk, it always feels good to get outside.
• Marion, Kansas
I need to take my laptop out and be outside when I am online as it would be healthier.
@AnneEJ (5025)
• Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
@GardenGerty I am wishing I could go walking this morning, but have some work I need to do first. So am spending a few minutes on here, then going to do what i need to get done, so I can get outside.
• Marion, Kansas
@AnneEJ We often have to bribe ourselves
A long walk with nature is a perfect way to start your day. *be well*
• Marion, Kansas
I need to do it earlier in the day and I am sure I will as the weather gets warmer.
@Hate2Iron (7664)
it sounds as if you chose the perfect day for your walk!
• Marion, Kansas
It was very nice. I did not really need the jacket I wore.
oooo, so jealous... lilacs. -sad face- they dont grow here... I miss them.
• Marion, Kansas
You are right, they have to have cold in the winter to set their blooms.
@GardenGerty yeah, which stinks for me
I agree that walking outside is a lot more fun than doing the treadmill indoor.
• Marion, Kansas
I seem to go further as well.
@gardengery Super you get to enjoy your walks so much! I would never eat anything i picked as i would probably pick something poisonous thinking it was edible as I have a hard time telling what is what! I would pick jimson weed I know that is something people get confused with but can; 't remember what it is confused with, and i would probably never make it home from my walk! I would love your walk without lilacs as I get a runny nose right away from allergies to flowers Had an Easter Lily Put it on the front porch after had such a runny nose and allergies gave it to the cook to plant in her garden! AS long as it is not here in my house! Isn't quince a kind of food What exactly is quince and is it a food like i think or at least edible because i thought i heard once somebody eat quince pie. But i would not pick it who know what i would consume! How does wild garlic differ from the garden we buy i guess it would be called domesticated garlic! Or does it go by another name!
well, i agree with you there, unfortunately, I feel heavy enough that my knee couldn't take my weight sometimes.
• Marion, Kansas
Walking strengthens my knees and reduces the pain. I am quite heavy.
I would hang clothes on my treadmill after I ironed them. I have to be in the great outdoors to get in a good walk!
• Marion, Kansas
I do not iron often, and do not own a treadmill. I used to use one at the Y.MCA
It sounds so beautiful Heather. I culd smell the lilac as you were talking about it here. I love old crookedy sidewalks to look at but not to walk on.
• Marion, Kansas
Exactly. I do not want a twisted ankle or anything like that.
yes walingoutsdide even in the city is so good and our street has lovely big trees os all' kinds even one botlle brush tree wityh red brush blooms that look like brushes I ndeed to get back to doingthjis my self as i lofe the feelng