Earthquake !

@topffer (34727)
France
The Gallic were fearing only one thing, that the sky would fall on their head. It happened this morning to a car parked in my street. At about 9 am the wood floors cracked in my house during a few seconds. It was an earthquake. I am in an area with a near zero earthquake risk so I was very surprised. I turned the radio on. This one was a honorable level 5 earthquake with a center at about 60 miles from my home. Many houses in my neighborhood have large gardens or parks. The house near mine has a large park, but it is rented for office use and the park is a wild space not maintained anymore. When the earthquake happened a part of the wall of the park felt in the street, damaging seriously a car. Fortunately nobody was hurt, but in the following minutes the street was full of firemen and policemen. I waited a few hours to take a photo. Did something unusual happened to you today ?
How fortunate that no-one was walking by at the time. A car can be replaced, but not a human.
@topffer (34727)
• France
Yes, there is an elementary school up the street. One hour before these stones should have hurt children. The car and the stones are now removed, but the safety fences are still there, because the wall is probably dangerous and might continue to fall.
@topffer That really was lucky that there were no children about.
@topffer One stone from a balcony fell during a quake in Monaco while I was in the street. The back of my left shoe get some scratches... my Guardian Angel did a great job.
We had a very small one last year. The floor shook for about 10-20 seconds. Then it was done. That rarely happens here in MI.
@topffer (34727)
• France
I do not remember to have had one since I am living in this area. It lasted maybe 4 or 5 seconds, just enough to realize that it was an earthquake. There are no specific rules to respect for buildings against earthquakes in my city, and this wall is very old.
@vandana7 (66161)
Oh...10-20 seconds is really long.
Now I am scared, this is also a zero earthquake risk area. I remember we had several in Monaco during the years I lived there. There are tall building there, I remember one that was pretty scary, I fell off the chair, I was scared. Are you safe? I hope you had no major damages.
@topffer (34727)
• France
It was a big surprise. I never remember to have had an earthquake since I have moved here, and there are no specific building rules to follow against earthquakes in this city. I suppose it was the earthquake of the century. My house has apparently no damage and my car was in the garage, so everything is ok.
@topffer I am glad that everything is ok. I fear the earthquakes, so I hope that this is not a new trend.
@topffer (34727)
• France
@LadyDuck I wish that the next one will be next century...
@OneOfMany (12420)
Nothing really unusual about this day. It was pretty normal.
@topffer (34727)
• France
I would not like to have an earthquake often, but this one added a bit of salt to my life.
@OneOfMany (12420)
@topffer I have supposedly been through several, but I never notice them. I slept through one that woke others out of sound sleep. I worked through another that made people stop everything. Either I'm rampantly oblivious or I'm so natural with the world that a slight shake doesn't bother me.
@topffer (34727)
• France
@OneOfMany Or you have really a deep sleep. It lasted only a few seconds, and I realized after that it was an earthquake. It was the second in my life, and the last one I hope.
That would have been very unexpected if it doesn't happen often - or at all.
@topffer (34727)
• France
It lasted only a few seconds, and I needed a few seconds more to realize that it was an earthquake. I never heard of an earthquake in the area where I live... until yesterday.
@topffer And I guess now that there has been one you will think of it occasionally.
@topffer (34727)
• France
@JudyEv I only hope that the next one will be for next century.
@akalinus (17807)
that is scary. What country are you in?
@topffer (34727)
• France
The country is near my user name : I live in France.
@akalinus (17807)
@topffer I saw that after I posted. I did not know France had earthquakes.
@topffer (34727)
• France
@akalinus It depends of the area. Mine was supposed to be safe... until today.
@Platespinner (16785)
My day has been remarkably dull. I'm glad, I would rather not have to deal with heavy objects falling on my head!
@topffer (34727)
• France
It would have been your last dull day : some of these stones are weighting more than 100 kg. I do not know why they put the heaviest stones at the top of this wall.
@topffer I guess they weren't anticipating any seismic activity. I'm glad no one got hurt when it fell!
@topffer (34727)
• France
@Platespinner Certainly. I never heard of an earthquake here. But it is the proof that it should happen even in the safest place.
@shshiju (10577)
• Cochin, India
We had also some minor one before two three years. I am not sure that this zone is zero earthquake area.
@topffer (34727)
• France
This one was large enough to do some minor damages. I am not sure that any area is really safe.
@shshiju (10577)
• Cochin, India
@topffer That is correct.
@Bluedoll (17063)
When you have not experienced one it is really something. I've only experienced one not that large and if I never do again I'll be fine with it. Scary stuff.
@topffer (34727)
• France
It was the second one for me, but I was a teen when I experienced the first one, and I had completely forgotten what it was. It does not lasted long enough to be scared. I was more scared a bit later when I heard the sirens of the firemen and realized that a wall had fallen near my house.
@Bluedoll (17063)
@topffer My experience was longer than a few seconds. More like 30- 45 seconds but I guess it depends on a bunch of things like how close you are to the event. I felt strange with the deadly silence immediately after the event.
@Dishari (698)
Not today, but I have felt a lot of earthquakes before.
@topffer (34727)
• France
It was only the second one for me, and I was a teen when I felt the first one.
@Dishari (698)
@topffer Oh! But as long as you aren't a resident of a high earthquake prone zone, you don't need to worry. They just are scary, that's all.
oh my! i'm so glad that nobody was seriously injured with that quake. there's always a danger'f gas lines 'n the like that jest makes one cringe. so glad those folks responded so quickly. stay safe's ya can, hon. the world, she's a changin'!
@topffer (34727)
• France
It is not impossible that some problems happened with gas lines. I am reading online in a newspaper that many tiles have fallen and some walls are fissured, but that nobody was hurt. I believe it was the earthquake of the century, as we never have earthquakes in my area, and this one was quite important.
@topffer i'll keep ya'll'n my thoughts, hon.
@quantum2020 (9553)
• Ciudad De Mexico, Mexico
I came across two zombies, which were not real zombies, but were two homeless and drunk men; however, from the distance they look like zombies. Hope everything comes to normal in your city.
@topffer (34727)
• France
I have never seen a zombie, but I also never had an earthquake in this city, so zombies are perhaps for tomorrow.
@acelawrites (11847)
Good thing nobody was hurt. We are quite jittery when hearing of news about earthquakes due to the warning by seismologists that an earthquake fault in Metro Manila is already "ripe" and when it moved, there will be massive destruction of lives and property.
@topffer (34727)
• France
I hope that nothing bad will happen in Manila. The only damages are material here : a few tiles down, a few fissured walls. The wall down near my home was probably the more important, and it is not a drama.
@rina110383 (24094)
Nothing unusual happened today. Still work but I'm happy because it keeps me busy.
@topffer (34727)
• France
Nice, I would not like to face a natural disaster everyday.
@thesids (22358)
• Bhubaneswar, India
Glad that the people and much of property is safe. It could have been scary. Two things I note on this discussion - 1. No place is earthquake proof no matter what the scientists say 2. The government / public constructions are weaker everywhere and it is not just an Indian thing Something unusual? Yes of course, I woke up at 8:00 am and as expected, it was never something I would have wanted.
@topffer (34727)
• France
It is true that no place is earthquake proof, but they are more rare in some areas. I never heard of an earthquake in my city before. We have very strong rules for buildings in earthquake areas, but nothing here. This wall is from the middle of the 19th C I think, and has not been maintained since years. The park itself is a kind of jungle. I live in the center of the city, and if you ask why these parks are not used for new buildings, it is because the landscape is protected around the church near my house, making new buildings quite impossible.
• Eugene, Oregon
So far, my day is routine and I don't want an earthquake to change that. I am glad it was not a serious quake.
@topffer (34727)
• France
It was already serious for an area where we have never earthquakes. I have seen very few damages in the city. This wall near my house was one of the more important, and it is not dramatic... except for the owner of the car.
@hereandthere (31995)
it probably took people a while to realize what it was. i'm glad no one was hurt and it's good that the area has been fenced off. i hope the owner has car insurance.
@topffer (34727)
• France
Not sure for the owner of the wall. Any owner of a car has to have an insurance. It is a misdemeanor to not have one in France. Anyways, the only responsible is the wall owner, and the car insurance will ask him to pay completely for the damages.
@Lucky15 (33750)
Glad that no one was hurt
@vandana7 (66161)
Nothing ..that bad...got up with bad stomach ache...nothing other than that. Sorry...and I was thinking I was safe...coz our home is also supposed to be at zero earthquake levels...
@topffer (34727)
• France
As @thesids wrote, there are probably no place completely safe... I hope that the next earthquake in my city will be next century... or it should also give me stomach aches.
@vandana7 (66161)
@topffer ...How far interior are you from sea?
@topffer (34727)
• France
@vandana7 About 100 km. But as my house is at 90 m, I do not risk anything from a tsunami.
This reminds me of the '94 Northridge earthquake. My car was parked inside my parent's garage. My dad had a lot of stuff up in the garage rafters - a lot of our childhood history was up there I guess. So when we were finally able to get inside the garage, I saw that my sister's old desk (with an attached chair) had fallen off and landed on my front windshield . Yep, it shattered the windshield all right. I live in the heart of earthquakes. In your photo, good thing no one was standing right there when that happened!
@topffer (34727)
• France
A desk on the windshield is certainly more original and would have done a better photo than a stone. I have quite no experience in earthquakes : it was only my second level 5 earthquake, and the first in this area. There is an elementary school at the top of the street, and an hour earlier the street was full of children... I read that many tiles felt, but fortunately nobody has been hurt.
@topffer It may have been more original, but the damage was done all the same! I have lived here all my life . . . it gets to the point where you only jump with "big" earthquakes. But level 5 for a place that ordinarily does not get earthquakes, that's quite huge. Oh, I'm glad the children were ok. Our 94 earthquake happened around 4 in the morning . . . it would have been really bad if it happened when everyone was awake and out and about!!
@topffer (34727)
• France
@much2say I even did not jumped, because I did not realized that it was an earthquake. You were lucky that it happened at 4 am. But you would have been more lucky if it had happened at 8 or 9, when your car was out of the garage.