Adding a kitten to the mix

Defiance, Ohio
A kitten kept coming up to my boyfriend at his work place. A couple times it got in the car. As the windows were down. he told me about it. I told him if he can to catch it and bring it home. If it gets along with the dogs, we will keep it. If not, we will fatten it up some and re-home it. The dogs seem to do okay around it. The kitten is about 4 to 6 months old. She is a tad bit bigger than my 5.6 lbs Chihuahua mix named Rascal. He swats at her tail when she goes past. As he loves to play. Is there anything I can do to ease the kittens transition in to my family of teens and dogs?
@Marcyaz (36111)
If she is not afraid of the dogs the more she is around them the better they will get along. Have the teens pet on the kitten so she gets used to people.
• Defiance, Ohio
The kitten loves being loved on. She has learned if she jumps on my lap, the dogs won't bother her. I think she was dumped.
@Marcyaz (36111)
@rusty2rusty Aww the poor little kitten, I can't understand how people can just abandon them like that.
Just have everyone make a big deal over the kitten for awhile so the kitten knows everyone then play with it and b e friendly It will adapt
• Defiance, Ohio
That is great advice. Thank you. I bought her some treats today. That way we can start on training her on what she is and isn't allowed to do.
hh@rusty2rusty thats really a good idea they really do learn
@zarlamain (23947)
That is so cute! Just put them in the same room and they'll naturally get along and become adjusted to each other.
• Defiance, Ohio
Thank you, I will try that. So far we have done that. As long as a human was around. Just in case as you never know.
@zarlamain (23947)
@rusty2rusty So true. Animals do get into fights after all.
• Marion, Kansas
It sounds as if you are on your way to having a kitty of your own.It seems you are keeping everyone safe and happy while she gets acquainted. Maybe she needs to have a place to escape to if it gets hectic, though.
• Defiance, Ohio
Yes, she has my daughters room to go to. I plan on looking on Pinterest for different ideas on shelves that she can climb. As another get away spot of her own. I seen some really cute ones that don't cost to much to do on your own.
let it go day by day it will all work out.
@marsha32 (6779)
Hopefully things are going well with the kitten. We have 2 that we have homes for but the people are making excuses now as to why they can't take them......actually 3.
@bunnybon7 (33113)
• Holiday, Florida
sounds like you already have it covered. you are a great fur baby parent. how sweet
Just love her watch that the dogs don't torment her and of course make sure she plays nice too . . . awww she is so cute !