Diary – Sunday 26th June 2016 – Part Two - Progress on the housing front

Photo taken by me – my 2016 diary
Preston, England
Got some sensible updates at last on the rehousing issue as my sister’s husband finally clued me in at least some of what is going on what is going on. My mum’s health is deteriorating to the point where she needs more care and my sister will need to go back to work soon – she is a nurse currently on leave to take care of my mum. Options seem to be a/. Put my mum in a nursing home b/. Alter our house so she can be cared for on one floor – stairs are now her biggest problem. C/. sell or rent out our house and move my mum to a one bedroom single story flat – this would involve me having to move too – my thinking is that option B would be best though my mum herself is favouring option C – no one wants A/. Indications are that she might be temporarily moving in to my sisters in the meantime - They have redecorated their house. Annoyed that given its impact on me with such sweeping life changing events in progress that none of this was discussed with me at all even when first put to my mum, but I do have a chance to talk to the housing officers tomorrow – As I am already pursuing rehousing it seems best to let this guy take care of my search too as it could potentially fast track me past the housing lists and red tape I’ll face otherwise – no point in me telling him to get lost and then trying to search entirely on my own again - just exactly how it could all impact the house value or my mum’s financial assets or the eventual sale of the house is as yet unclear to me. Hopefully I’ll get better answers when I see this guy tomorrow. Arthur Chappell
I hate housing issues with a passion. I feel sometimes that things happen for a reason and maybe you were just up for a change. I hope things go well for you.
• Preston, England
@celticeagle the prognosis is not great
@arthurchappell ....Not many options then huh?
• Preston, England
@celticeagle at present none - one almost came up but job offer came in first
Hope that you are able to find your own place.
• Preston, England
me too - ironically the job has meant moving out of my home city but at least getting a flat is now not an option for the time being
good luckon the housing issue hope your mom does not have to go into an assited livilng place they are not all f un and games bellieve me.
• Preston, England
@Hatley exactly, it would be fearful - my new job starting tomorrow rules out moving house in another city for now sadly
Wishing you the best of luck with all of this Arthur. My mom had to eventually become a resident of a nursing home due to dementia. My dad went to assisted living when he could not care for his home, and he needed more assistance with his personal and medical care. Then he needed even more care that assisted living could offer and is now in a nursing home. He is private paying, an enormous amount each month now, but when his assets are depleted, then the government will pay for his care. Dad will live out all his money, but at 95, he is getting great care, and he is located just 3 minutes from my home and my sister's home. It is a tough road for sure.
• Preston, England
@Corbin5 so good that he has your support in such dreadful circumtances
Good luck tomorrow Arthur - i hope things work out for you.
• Preston, England
@jaboUK sadly not as today's diary will show
@LoriAMoore (4663)
Why didn't your sisters involve you in the options? We're facing the same thing with our mom.
• Preston, England
@LoriAMoore my sister has had a grudge against me for a decade since I asked for her help recovering property stolen off my by her son, in his twenties - after initially promising help she did everything she could to avoid doing anything then threw my things back at me but stopped talking to me, giving me christmas cards or birthday cards and more besides
@koopharper (6722)
Hope it goes well. When my mom could no longer negotiate the stairs, my family converted one of the downstairs rooms into a bedroom. The house was positively huge though so there were lots of options.
I will say a prayer for you Arthur that things turn out for the best.
Good luck.
I agree, your best bet is to do your best to be involved too, that way there are no surprises!
At least you've been told something. Good luck with your talks tomorrow.