Brush clearing is coming right along

I've removed most of the alders on this section of my property. To give an idea how thick it was before I went crazy with the chainsaw the lower branches of that tree in the middle of the clearing are dead because they were getting insufficient sunlight. I didn't spend a lot of time here on myLot while I was busy doing all this. Hope to catch up a little this evening.
@inertia4 (27763)
That looks like a lot of hard work. But it seems as if it had to be done. I am so glad I don't have to worry about grounds like that. Living here in the city is a pleasure. But I can see if one chooses to live in places like that. They do what they need to to make their land livable. I bet you are tired. Enjoy your evening.
I have 2.4 acres of property and if I want to do anything with it those alders really need to go. The whole middle section of the property would be good for small scale agricultural use (it was farmland back in the '50s). I did create one garden space in the spring and am looking to expand on that as I have time and energy.
@inertia4 (27763)
@koopharper That is a lot of land. Wow. I am here in NYC and don't have nowhere near that amount of room. But I see less as more. Maybe because I was born and raised in the city.
@inertia4 I grew up in a small town. We live in the middle of bush. Hundreds of acres of it. We are the only full time residents on our road.
@Genipher (5169)
Sounds like you need some goats to help clear out the area! I try to persuade everyone I can to get goats.
We've had goats in the past at another location. My wife didn't get along that well with them.
@Genipher (5169)
@koopharper Ah, that's too bad. We have friends that have goats. They make it look easy to take care of 'em.
@Genipher I did fine with the goats except we had some problems with parasites. My wife on the other hand had a hard time with some of the herd instincts of the goats. She never convinced Alice the dominant female that she was the queen of the herd. The goats had no trouble with my role and the dominant male.
So you were busy playing with your chainsaw. I was busy working myself.
Yup. Now I have to sharpen it, refuel it, refill the chain oil reservoir and hope the weather is good when I get home from work today.
@koopharper wishing you all the best.
@toniganzon Thanks!
Do you have a lot of equipment to do this kind of job?
Besides my chainsaw - hand tools only.
@koopharper You should have seen the equipment that the tree removal guys brought here for their work.
@marlina With the latest equipment I could have it all done in pretty short order. Don't have the money to be that impatient though.
That seems like an awful lot of work. Hope you get it finished soon.
It is a lot of work. It's my land though so I just regard it as an ongoing long term project. I have a vision of what can be done with this place and it will likely take several years to even approach what I have in mind.
@koopharper it is your land and you will benefit the most once the work has been completed. Take it one day at a time. Do something each day that will take you closer to what you envisioned this place will be in a couple of years.
@Macarrosel (7537)
Wow! How I wish I can have even half of that property and I will convert it into a nice place with beautiful landscape and all. Although it's hard work but I love it.
Give time and a bit of money it'll become the little paradise I have in mind.
@koopharper just promise us to post photos of your little paradise when it's done. Good luck and I hope you'll succeed.
@Macarrosel I will post regular updates as long as I write here.
• Preston, England
looks like an impressive stretch of garden-woodland
There is quite a bit of usable space if I can clear it, dig strategic drainage ditches and get rid of all the roots. I've made a lot of progress.
• Preston, England
@koopharper I wouldn't know where to start - good luck
@arthurchappell Sometimes I feel like I'm beating my head against a wall but there is undeniable progress.
The growth must have been pretty thick for those branches to die.
It was. The weeds on the ground in the foreground are because that part I cut in the spring. The ground is very fertile and stuff springs up pretty quickly even when it is getting trampled regularly.
@koopharper And is it trampled regularly? By people? Animals? Just curious.
@JudyEv By me and the boys stomping through there cleaning up. I imagine plenty of wild animals go through there but they have a minimal impact. Startled a mother Ruffed Grouse and her children back there the other day.
@peavey (16866)
You know I envy you! LOL! I wouldn't last five minutes doing that kind of work any more, but I would love to be able to. You will never want for firewood!
I'm getting to the point where this is getting too hard for me without significant help from the boys. It isn't that I'm so incredible healthy and strong. I'm just really really stubborn.
@peavey (16866)
@koopharper Stubborn does it just as well sometimes. As to the boys helping, that's why we have kids, to take over when we need to slow down.
@velvet53 (17706)
• Palisade, Colorado
Looks like you were mighty busy. I don't know what it looked like before but I bet you are making great headway.
This is pretty much what a photo would have looked like before the clearing.
I hope you get caught up later. I did but when I leave for awhile there are lots more.
Sometimes it's just hopeless. As long as nobody gets insulted that I did get to their discussion we'll be all good.
@acelawrites (12507)
It looks like so much work is to be done clearing it.
It is a huge amount of work but I am getting firewood at the same time.
I am hesitant to do any brush clearing until fall, when the poison ivy will turn orange and I can avoid it.
I haven't encountered any poison ivy here at all. Seems a bit strange because I have loads of jewelweed here and they are usually found in the same area.
@supervalon (1225)
• North Las Vegas, Nevada
Yeah, you know how they say better today, than tomorrow. It's good that you cleaned it up on time and didn't reject it for an other day. Hope to see you more here on myLot!
@Lucky15 (33687)
We can really be busy off line. So many things to get done
I have lots of chores that need doing, inside and outside. I kind of try to myLot and write in between it all.
@sol_cee (18077)
• Bermuda
Happy clearing those brush away! There aren't any snakes there, I hope.
I didn't see any while I was clearing the brush. They like my wood piles though. There I see them four and five at a time. Just garter snakes for the most part. Occasionally there will be a smooth green snake. They're all harmless to humans and beneficial. They're busy eats mice and other things that we really don't need more of.
@JESSY3236 (7532)
That looks a lot of hard work. I'm glad I don't have that much here. Although I do need to trim my holly bush. It just has been too hot to do it.
The recent heat wave has slowed me down quite a bit. We're still working at it though.
@bunnybon7 (37645)
• Holiday, Florida
wow that sure looks like a lot of work. guess you won't need the gym for a while
Never go to the gym. Physical work has been my gym.
@PatZAnthony (13118)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
It is a ton of work, but someone has to do it! We have to tend to ours soon as well. So much like work.
Hard to believe that back in the fifties it was a farmers field.
@LoriAMoore (4677)
It's too hot to be doing that kind of work -- oh wait, you're in Canada, no worries. As my Canadian friends say, "Good on ya."
Last two days have gotten too hot. Doing a bit of physical work in the evenings.