Cataracts, and now glaucoma too

Pixabay
November 17, 2016 I've been going through the process to take care of my cataracts and along the way the ophalmologist has discovered I also have glaucoma. So he's now referred me to another ophalmologist who will do the cataract surgery and also some sort of surgery to relieve the glaucoma. Meanwhile, I'm using one drop of glaucoma meds in each eye every night at bedtime. This works quite well as long as I don't fall asleep on the couch, lol. I missed one night because of that, but have been diligent otherwise. I have my first consultation with the new doctor on Dec 1. I hope to have the process entirely finished by springtime. Do you think I'm being too optimistic?
@Asylum (46306)
• Manchester, England
I know from personal experience how depressing it can be to start with cataract surgery and encounter further problems. You begin to feel that fate is targetting you.
Even a "simple" situation presents quite a slog just to get to the surgery.
@Asylum (46306)
• Manchester, England
@blitzfrick I cannot disagree with that because I have experienced the situation several times. You think it is all over and suddenly you feel that you are going backwards.
@Asylum Judging from the responses I certainly have plenty of company here on MyLot. In a strange way, it makes things easier for me.
• Peoria, Arizona
I am sorry that you are going through this. My step mom had to go through this, she had the surgery and she said it was the easiest thing she has been through and she has a beautiful twinkle in her eye now. There is nothing wrong with being too optimistic, you were given some bad news and are looking for the best! Which is the greatest thing anyone can do!
Well it isn't too much of a bother, except for interfering with my (non-existent) social life, lol. The biggest surprise so far has been the cost of the glaucoma eyedrop meds. Wow.
• Peoria, Arizona
@blitzfrick I have heard they are very pricey, but it is worth it.
@DesirousDreamer Oh yes, the alternative—possible blindness—makes them absolutely necessary. The insurance cuts the cost by about 60%, thank goodness (and thanks to Medicare!).
@nanette64 (12334)
• Fairfield, Texas
I hope all goes well @blitzfrick . I have cataracts too but am not BLIND enough yet for the insurance to cover it.
In my case, I'm very very thankful for Social Security and Medicare. Otherwise I'd be down the tubes. Whew. Do you have the Obamacare there in Texas?
@nanette64 (12334)
• Fairfield, Texas
@blitzfrick We do and I also have SS & Medicare, but apparently according to them you have to have a certain amount of visual blindness (%) before they will pay for it.
@nanette64 If we could curse here, I'd call them a name. I wonder why we can't have socialized medicine like the rest of the free world. Bah.
• New Delhi, India
No...you should always be optimistic. Now that the proper diagnosis has been made treatment shall be done perfectly
Yes, I think a positive attitude is important. And a good surgeon, of course
• New Delhi, India
I wish you all the best in the treatment and surgery.
Thank you! I have total confidence in my docs
@blitzfrick you are welcome. That is wonderful then.
@UncleJoe (7722)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
You should always be optimistic.
I've been optimistic in the past and then been crashingly disappointed. But this time, I'm at least maintaining a positive attitude.
I didn't think they were able cure glaucoma but perhaps things have progressed. It will be good if you are able to stop having the drops at some stage.
I think the surgery is meant to alleviate the condition rather than as a cure; every little bit helps (fingers crossed).
I had Laser Iridotomy to relief the glaucoma, but I still have to use drops every day, it's not a miracle solution, my actual ophalmologist even said he would have not performed this surgery.
I had to look up laser iridotomy, lol. I'm not sure what the new doctor has in mind; I meet with him on Dec 1 and make an update on MyLot after that.
@sallypup (19249)
• Moses Lake, Washington
I wish you well. I was just told that I have tiny cataracts that will need attention in five or more years. Age! Good old age creeping in. Take care.
My eye doc says most people get these with old age. No wonder the surgery is so widespread! I had my eyes checked 5 or 6 years ago and told a different eye doc I suspected I had cataracts, but he said no. I'm very sorry that I can now say "I told you so". But I think everything will turn out okay.
no not really as i have read they have made huge changes in treating glaucoma and cataracts I have one read y to come out and one not yet darn
Apparently there are many here at MyLot who have had, or are about to have, the surgery. I'm so glad it's commonplace these days! Like you, I have one that's ready, and one on the waiting list.
@LoriAMoore (8671)
So sorry to hear this. I didn't realize there was a surgery for glaucoma.
Good luck with the surgery. One has to be optimistic.
@ms1864 (6976)
• Bangalore, India
Nop. I think optimism can help the healing and repairing process. So please continue. ...
@amnabas (9777)
• Karachi, Pakistan
I think you need to care.you are taking care care.