Victorian London!

I wasn't going to post another discussion but this one I just could not resist. 10 views of London in Victorian times with google maps comparisons. It goes from gradual changes to almost a totally different piece of scenery. I think my favorite has to be Rotten Row!
From haunted pubs to Hyde Park highwaymen, London is full of stories—here's 10 comparing the 19th century with today.
@stbrians (11834)
• Kakamega, Kenya
Things change with time
Nothing stays the same, for sure.
@stbrians (11834)
• Kakamega, Kenya
@ScribbledAdNauseum If we go behind 200 years we shall meet very primitive people.
@stbrians 2000 maybe, but 200? That really wasn't all that far away. Things were much different, for sure, but I wouldn't say primitive.
@sishy7 (25600)
Very interesting... thanks for sharing!
No Problem. I will most assuredly be sharing more from this site as I had never even heard of it until this article.
@sishy7 Oh good I wasn't the only one! haha! I took a quick peak but then as I noticed that they seemed to drastically become modernized? I decided to just look at those taken in the later part of the 1800's.
Thanks for sharing this! Awesome versions indeed!
That's cool. Sometimes you really can't help but post another discussion once you found a worth sharing interest of yours. God bless.
Haha yes, but I do try to keep my discussion making to two per day! lol
Thanks for sharing. I will go and look at it now.
Love these. My great-great-grandad was a landowner's son who became a jeweller in London and was then disinherited for running off with the parlour maid ... he then became a Hansom Cab driver, and later a conductor on those horse drawn buses. I like to think that maybe he's in one of those pictures, earning a bob or two!
Could very well be! Wow but was the parlour maid your great great grandmother?
@Poppylicious Oh no, that doesn't sound like a very nice life at all. So she was his mistress her whole life then? It's sad that she was driven to the bottle as well.
@Asylum (46319)
• Manchester, England
There have to be many London views that have changed very little since Victorian times because that is what attracts so much tourism.
I am sure there are many other places that weren't mentioned here. It seems they picked the more "touristy" areas to showcase in this article anyway?
@Asylum (46319)
• Manchester, England
@ScribbledAdNauseum That is certain to be the case.
• New Delhi, India
I think this happens or has happened everywhere
Well yes, everything progresses with time. However, I was referring to the way the pictures were laid out on the webpage itself.
• New Delhi, India
@tzwrites (3202)
Oh very nice to see, I am fascinated by these things. Piccadilly Circus is my favourite
I love any kind of photos like these, that show places as they were long ago.
Those views of Victorian London are beautiful, finally Piccadilly Circus has not changed so much.
Yes, I love looking at those views!
• Denmark
Very nice!
I thought so!
@garymarsh6 (12006)
I love old photos just as these. The sky line of London has changed so much over recent years. Interestingly the Big house at Hyde Park Corner is known as Number 1 London as it used to be the first house you would come across when you reached London from the West. It is called Apsley house and was the Home of the Duke of Wellington. It is at the beginning of Picadilly and Park Lane just behind the gardens of Buckingham Palace. Thank you for sharing this lovely post.
Thank you for the information. I had heard of the words "Number 1 London" but am not sure I ever knew what it referred to. I imagine the Duke of Wellington had a lot of people calling over to his house as Picadilly was (and probably still is) a very trafficked place.