Great news!

Yesterday I got an email from the principal of my sons cyber school saying that my request to have my son be an asynchronous student in the cyber school has been approved! This is a huge relief for me and I think it will make things a lot easier this last quarter of school. My boyfriend is taking his son on a trip to gettysburg next weekend and invited us. I am to scared to drive there on my own so it would be a wonderful opportunity but I don't think my kids would enjoy it so we will likely not go. Today my daughter got invited to go with a friend and her mother to shop, eat dinner at Olive Garden and go see the movie Beauty and the Beast. She was supposed to babysit my nephew but I'd rather her go have fun with a friend so I will be babysitting instead. Yesterday my son and I were having fun painting rocks. This photo is one I made. Nothing special but it was how I felt :-)
It sounds like things are going well-that's good! =)
I feel good that maybe things are finally going to get a little better :-)
@shaggin Good I hope they will keep getting better. =)
@LovingMyBabies me too thank you so much!
Thats very nice of you to babysit so your daughter can go out with her friend. Also love the painting rocks idea abd yours pictured. Congratulations on getting your son approved
This rock is actually a very vibrant rosy pink color but for some reason my iPod showed it as red. Oh well close enough. I would much rather my daughter have fun with her friend then babysit. She only gets $1 an hour to babysit so its not like she will be missing out on a lot of money. My son and I will have fun with my niece and nephew today. I think they are going to paint rocks with us too.
@shaggin only $1 an hour? Thats not enough to do anything with. She should at least get $5. Imo. But have fun with the kiddos!
@Courtlynn My sister has 4 kids and no job. Her boyfriend is the one who pays the sitter. My daughter would just be helping my niece and nephew watch their 5 year old brother so it really is not a hard job at all. My sister asked how much to pay her and I just said $1 an hour is fine. That is what I pay my daughter as well to stay with my son. He just plays video games the whole time and is 9 so she really isn't having to do any real babysitting you know. About 6 years ago when I was babysitting people's kids all the time I only charged $1.50 an hour per child. I had babies and kids of all ages. We live in a very poor area. Most people gave me extra but $1.50 was what I charged and didn't expect more.
Did you ask your son if he would like to go to Gettysburg? It sounds like a great trip. I'm glad your daughter had the opportunity to have fun with her friend. I want to see that movie as well.
I will ask my kids but I am almost positive they will say no. I don't want to see the movie so it worked out with her going with a friend then I only had to pay for her ticket instead of a ticket for both of my kids and myself to see it. Then again we usually go to a discount theater and the price of all three of our tickets is probably less then her one ticket cost at the regular theater tonight.
@shaggin I try to go on the discount days, which is Tuesday for everyone and Friday for seniors. It's $5 a ticket. Students have $5 Thursday.
@bunnybon7 (34448)
• Holiday, Florida
@shaggin lets hope it comes to tv or netflix or dvd soon
Ah, lots of good news for you and your family . Love the rock . . . I'd paint one for Saturday too .
Ha ha I've never heard of T.g.i.s though
@shaggin I haven't either .
@much2say My 9 year old son was worried with me painting this rock that people will not know what it means. I told him most adults should know it and can tell their kids who find the rocks what it means. I can't wait until all the rocks we are making are done and dry and I can hide them around town.
Your title says it all. I agree with you if you feel you will not be comfortable you should not go. Your paint work looks attractive.
If I went alone we would have a great time but my kids would not do well if I went away for a night and then I would worry about them as well. I know they will not want to go and if I force them to it will likely ruin the trip for my boyfriend and his son.
I am happy that everything is falling into place. Couldn't you go along with your boyfriend?
I think it would just ruin the trip for him if my kids and I went.
My great nephew wanted to paint rocks when he was here. Now I really wish we had. We could have hidden them somewhere too! What kind of paint do you use?
To paint the rocks we use acrylic paint. Then when they are dry we write the name of the Facebook group on the back and then spray the rocks with a clear sealer to make them last outside for people to find. Everyone is having a lot to fun in the area doing this. It is spreading further and further to other communities in the area.
@shaggin Okay. I will have to check out my paint supplies before our next visit.
@paigea I just bought some paint pens at Michael's last night so my kids can do some easier painting on the rocks and we can do more fine details. I think this will make it easier for my son to join in without getting frustrated.
That is great my daughter and grand dsughter love painting rocks together. I think it looks great. Sounds like your daughter I'd going to have a wonderful day with her friend. Glad everything worked out with your son's cyber school. It would be nice if you could go with your boyfriend. Maybe the kids would enjoy it once they got there.
I have done some cool rocks but the one was simple. I can't wait to hide them around town and see the little faces of the kids who find them. This is a lot of fun right now in our community.
@shaggin sounds like fun.
@Happy2BeMe It is the adults and kids are having fun painting and finding them.
@ShifaLk (7376)
Having a good time there. Great! N the painting is good too
Ha ha this painted rock looks like a kid did it. I am using the photos of the good rocks I painted to share on Facebook. I don't like using the same photos here and there. Thank you though for being kind.
@ShifaLk (7376)
@shaggin hehe still that's nice :) The colour combination is awesome.. Black n Red..wow
@ShifaLk It's actually a bright pinkish rose color but the iPod made it look red in the photo. It is prettier in person.
• Preston, England
I'd like to visit Gettysberg
I've been there twice and I loved it but my kids are very different then I am. I think they would hate it and be miserable the whole time and that would run the trip for my boyfriend and his son.
• Preston, England
@shaggin it appeals to my sense of history - the Gettysberg address is the greatest speech in history and the 4 hour movie about the battle is quite brilliant
@arthurchappell I saw on your profile that you look war reenacting so I can see why you would love to visit Gettysburg.
Love the message on the rock! What is an asynchronous student? I hope your daughter had a wonderful time with her friend. That sounds like a perfect day!!!
With asynchronous they do not have to do the live classes with the teacher. I am choosing to let him skip the homeroom and game class after lunch and by skipping those non important things he is at the computer an hour less. He is still there for 3 hours to do the important classes like math and science and literature etc. Then of course he has the homework at the end as well.
@shaggin Glad that he has less computer time that way. It's so difficult for anyone to sit so long.
@DianneN yes especially kids who are naturally more active
@FayeHazel (13335)
That was really nice of you to let daughter go have fun. :-)
She's young her having fun is important as well as spending time with friends.
@FayeHazel (13335)
@shaggin That's nice - social skills from an early age are great are a great form of learning, too. When does your son start the new school?
@FayeHazel My son has been with the cyber school since October I think it was but today was his first day doing Asynchronous and it was wonderful!
@bluesa (13458)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
I am glad you got that approved for your son! I love the rock and the sentiment @shaggin .
Ha ha T.G.i.F is very true to me and my son sinceas started doing cyber school.
@bluesa (13458)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@shaggin I can believe that!
What is an asynchronous student?
During cyber school they have live lessons and then other work like homework etc. When he was not doing the Asynchronous he had to do homeroom and a game type lesson so he was on the computer from 8:15-1:45 plus how long homework takes. With Asynchronous I can choose to not do the live lessons and just teach him them myself using the books etc. What I am doing though is having him do the live lessons minus the homeroom and game one and then do his homework as usual. This way he is only having to do the classes that are important and he will only be at the computer from 8:45-noon then plus homework.
@shaggin Thanks for explaining.
@rusty2rusty (6768)
• Defiance, Ohio
I like your painted rock. People are painting rocks and leaving them all over town. There is a facebook group where you post where you found one , what it says and share a picture of it.
That is what they are doing here too. I guess it must be going on all over the country. I can't remember where the womans daughter loved that told her that her town was doing it...Then she started it in our town and no one had any idea it would be getting the widespread!
• Defiance, Ohio
@shaggin I think it is a cute thing to do and a good bonding experience with kids to help explore and see where things travel. It teaches them to look around their surroundings too.
@Gillygirl (16445)
• Sutton, England
I am really pleased you have had some positive news. I like the rock painting.
Any good news is better then my last post about the leak! Painting rocks is fun and is a huge thing in our community right now!
@Gillygirl (16445)
• Sutton, England
@shaggin You did have quite a horrendous week.
@PainsOnSlate (19771)
I love the creativity of children. ( even if they need to be nudged by mom...)
My daughter is very creative. Much more so then I am. It's amazing to see the things she comes up with.
• Portland, Connecticut
It sounds like good things are happening and I am so happy for you.
Yes I am really hoping things are going in the right direction now!
I look forward to seeing Beauty and the Beast.
I have no interest in seeing it. When it comes out on DVD if our library gets a copy then I likely would watch it once but it is not something I really care to pay money to see. My daughter and her friend thought it was an awesome movie though so I am happy they had fun!
@marsha32 (6770)
What does it mean to be an asychronous student? We used an eschool for a couple of years and it was great, but then came the higher grades and higher expectations, which meant more traveling to that town for us for tests and such.
I am hoping he will go back to public school in a year or so. I really don't like to see him getting no socialization like this but he really doesn't like being around other kids :-\ Asynchronous means that he will not have to do the live classes just the other work which is usually assigned as homework. I will still have him go to the online classes but let him skip the ones where all they do is play online learning site games that throw him into a rage. It will be 3 hours of online classes instead of 5 followed by the homework as usual.