Black is Black: #6 "Black Water" Doobie Brothers (1974)

Los Angeles, California
There were two distinct Doobie Brothers during the band’s glory years of the 70s and early 80s: Tom Johnston led Doobies (1969-75) and Michael McDonald Doobies (1975-82). The group from San Jose, California were pretty big at one time. I confess to being a Johnston Doobies fans prior to getting into punk/new wave. “I’d like to hear some funky Dixieland Pretty mama, come and take me by the hand” That is the memorable a cappella lyric from “Black Water.” From the album “What Were Once Vices are Now Habits,” “Black Water” would become the Doobie Brothers’ first #1 single. The song is all Patrick Simmons (the other major force in the group): he wrote and sang plus played lead guitar. Inspired by Creedence Clearwater Revival, Simmons wanted a song with a New Orleans vibe. “Mississippi woman, won't you keep shinin’ on me Old black water, keep on rollin’”
Part 7 of the HBO Recorded Doobie Brothers Live at Alpine Valley Amphitheater in Wis in 1979.
"By the hand (hand) take me by the hand (pretty Mama)" Love the interweaving vocals in the a cappella section.
@FourWalls (13810)
With you all night long
I was always a fan of the Doobie Brothers, good tune!
@dragon54u (31617)
That was such a catchy song!! It had everything--great music, catchy lyrics, good vocals. I'll still gladly listen to that one when it comes on the oldies station.
@TheSojourner (17454)
This is my favorite Doobie Bros. song. Love the a cappella part the most. Thank you for this blast from the past!
@Ronrybs (7347)
• London, England
Feel certain I've heard this one before, but I didn't realise the Doobies did it
I prefer pre-McDonald. This is classic 70's.
@FourWalls (13810)
Big ol' honkin' thumbs up!!!
I have "Black Water" on a 45