WHEN YOUR BEST IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Pixabay image.
How many times have you posted a discussion which to your mind is a really good piece of work, capable of generating lively discussion, but somehow, it doesn't hit the mark and ends up with very few responses. I recall writing a piece some time ago which I thought was interesting enough -- as a matter of fact -- it took me three hours (over a period of two days) to find a suitable accompanying photo. After all that trouble the post received five responses. I know this question has been asked before, but hearing the answers again would be beneficial. What kind of discussions do you find interesting and uninteresting? I like writing and reading about, relationships, love, family, achievements and other interesting happenings in the world. I do not like reading real life horror stories - I get enough of those on the news. If you want to, you can also mention at least one of your posted discussions which you expected to do well, but it bombed out.
Everyone here is very different and we all like different things. I have had discussions I thought would get more interaction than it did. I try not to get discouraged because one person is better than none. And it helps me to get things off my chest even if no one reads them. I enjoy personal discussions the most. =)
That is true - one response is better than none but for those whose primary interest is in the movement of the bank - then very few responses over a period of time can be discouraging.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I enjoy posts that make me think the most.
@manasamanu (1476)
I love variety in posts but sometimes run out of topics for my own discussion, so I respond a lot rather than posting discussions. That might help me to know how the other myLotters work on their ideas.
I do that too, -- wait to be inspired instead of writing something I won't be pleased with.
@Kandae11 Absolutely
@theBlock (2340)
@Kandae11 I-think-all-my-discussions-don't-have-many-responses....But-ONE-good-response-makes-it-worthwhile....Sorry-for-the-dashes----my-space-bar-broke
That is fine, if you aren't interested in the earning aspect.
@theBlock (2340)
@Kandae11 I-am-indeed-interested,,but-i-know-i-won't-make-much-money-here,,so-I'm-mostly-interested-in-making-good-connections.
@theBlock yes indeed, that can happen.
I love all your discussions. I just hope my friends will read and comment on any of my discussions. I'd have to go back and look at my bombs, but I like writing about my world. I don't care for politics, religion, or sports posts.
Your posts give me a happy, positive feeling.
@Kandae11 Aw, thank you! As I said, I love yours and your photos, too!
• Pleasant Hill, California
Most people don't care about sports on this site.
@Mass_Sonu (1159)
@Kandae11 I personally feel all your topics are interesting. Relatively new here (gotta be a bit experienced by now), but I'm beginning to understand this problem. I too feel that none of my posts made any great impression, so called 'bombs' like you say, but I'm trying to be active & responding to many discussions across many favourite topics, but so far, personally I gotta say disappointed with responses to my own posts despite my low expectations.
Don't get discouraged, keep on being active - posting and responding and things will turn around.
@Mass_Sonu (1159)
@Kandae11 If you say so, you are more experienced & know how the site works. Anyway, your display pic - you sketched it?
@Mass_Sonu You mean my profile picture? I did that of myself six or so years ago.
@sabtraversa (4918)
Long niche discussions are likely to not be popular, that's the sad truth, no matter the effort. I'm happy if a discussion gets more than 5 responses, but in some cases I understand how some people just "like" and don't respond or they comment their opinion below another response so you receive less responses overall.
Yes, I see that happening quite a bit. I was making the suggestion to @much2say that a long post could be done in parts - part 1, 2 and possibly 3.
@Kandae11 I did it once, two discussions I deleted because of personal affairs, but some people would comment one or ask for the other (while the link to the other was shared in the discussion itself) and things like that. Then my discussion about "gold diggers" was one but had two parts, I think most people were still frightened by the long text overall.
@HAPPSINGH (68302)
• Jalandhar, India
@sabtraversa LOL, not me
@KrauseHome (30681)
Lately a lot of my discussion are this way. Wondering if it is because their are no pictures or people just are not interested even as my followers in the discussion I am starting?
Do you like using pictures?
@KrauseHome (30681)
@Kandae11 I need to add pictures to my stuff more and see if that helps.
@KrauseHome It would be worth a try.
On a site such as this you never know for sure what will fly and what wont'...just write what you want to write, that's the best way to go.
Good advice.
@Kandae11 Welcome!
I love cultural posts. Learning about the different places people live and what is common for them is very interesting to me. Also some of the language differences - phrases not used here makes a post very interesting, especially if the phrase is translated per the meaning of it. I love holiday/vacation posts and seeing where people like to vacation and if there are accompanying pictures even more fun. I'm not into politics and will even avoid them now at all costs. I don't like it when people only post rants and have nothing good to say, but then I haven't seen hardly any of those, which is good. A rant now and then isn't bad, even I do that on occasion. The posts that get the least views for me are my Bible Study posts, but I don't mind because God directs those who need to read them to them.
I look forward to those bible study posts - they help make my day. And now I know what you are interested in reading.
@Kandae11 I read most anything, but those are what I enjoy most. Thank you so much. I'm glad they bless you.
I like a myriad of topics . . . I mostly don't mind anything that comes from friends here! I don't have a lot of time to be here, so I don't really count the numbers of anything . . . I'm just happy if people responded at all! I think the ones that have the least responses on mine are the ones where I get too long winded (super long posts that takes too long to read!).
Maybe you can break up the long ones in two or three parts?
@Kandae11 I guess I could. I might have to create chapters .
@LoriAMoore (10754)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I like posts where I learn something new about something.
I like those too.
@hostessman (4590)
• Tucson, Arizona
i write what is going on that day mainly, and i get 5 to 12 responses but that is fine with me i just enjoy reading other posts
And I enjoy reading your posts.
Often it is hard to know which discussions will hit the mark. I rarely have big responses on my discussions. I wish I had more, but I don't worry about it. I think remembering to always comment on other peoples; discussions might help more with getting big responses on yours the majority of the time.
Yes, it does help.
I like all kinds of discussions. They are all interesting to me.
Great.
i hear that happens
That answer means it hasn't happened to you.
There is no hard and fast rule here. This user their first and only post has reached the top of the top rated today. I have given up trying to unfurl the mystery. Ours is not to reason why but just do and die (lol) All what I can say is perhaps you need a godmother to help you boost your posts
Oh yes, I noticed - very good going for a new member.
@Kandae11 And newbies leave the site when they do not get noticed
@allknowing Yes they do - so this should be very encouraging.
• New Delhi, India
I prefer a discussion that I can relate to
Like happenings at work, family , pastimes etc.?
• New Delhi, India
@HAPPSINGH (68302)
• Jalandhar, India
@amitkokiladitya Me too, well said
@diosabella (4120)
I have the same question too. I really don't get it sometimes but it doesn't get me down so much like before. Sometimes the picture and the title will catch my attention only to be disappointed to the content and because I'm already there I comment even a simple one.
That is commendable.
@Kandae11 There's still alot to learn to get my writing get a good exposure. Until then I will practice and post whenever I can until I know the secret to it.
@HAPPSINGH (68302)
• Jalandhar, India
@diosabella that's good to hear
I don't think its good writing as much as a topic that people like...and I too haven't understood what makes the discussions be a hit instead of a miss(in your words). I see Earning seems to get lots of responses. But I'm glad that I get to make a few good friends. As you know I love book discussions.
I don't do any of those.-- and I love reading.
@Kandae11 its not the writing style so much ,I notice....its just some news that seem to catch more attention. What are your reading choices?
@responsiveme Do you mean books?
@HAPPSINGH (68302)
• Jalandhar, India
I like all discussions on which i can add something
No point in leaving a comment if you feel it won't make a real contribution to the topic.
@HAPPSINGH (68302)
• Jalandhar, India
@Kandae11 what do you mean?
@HAPPSINGH Just what you said --that you like discussions to which you can add something - and I agree. If there is a discussion that I know I won't be able to comment on properly - then I won't..