The horse fired from the preschool for obscenity!

Pleasant Hill, California
The other day, I think it was Thursday, one of my little buddies, who is transitioning from diapers to underpants, decided to walk around the preschool "commando" after forgetting that he had been wearing underpants, not a diaper. A brief battle ensued, but I got some underpants on him and, without thinking about it, said, "Now you've got your mojo working." Of course, this led me to start singing the Muddy Waters song, "Got My Mojo Working," and my young friend, who is quite musically inclined, started singing along with me. Within 10 minutes, I had shown him the call and response pattern of the chorus, and we were playing merrily away in the sand box singing Muddy Waters. We replaced "but it just ain't workin' on you" with "gonna play with my friends all day long. " That evening, I listened to Muddy Waters doing the song, and I realized that the song is a bit racy for an early 3-year-old. But I still told his mother yesterday morning we were working on "Got My Mojo Working." She and his dad are well aware that their kid loves music, and they have a little uke for him at home. He picks it up and sings like he's been performing for years. She laughed and said "That's perfect!" So I didn't get fired after all. Thank goodness for cool parents! Have you ever let a kid learn a song that might be a bit much for them if they really knew what it was about? By the way, this version absolutely rocks. If it don' make you smile and tap yo' feet, you dead.
"Blues Masters" 1966 Canadian TV
Your American pre-schoolers must really be precocious if they know what songs 'are really about' at the age of three.
• Pleasant Hill, California
They don't. But I really do abject to parents letting their kids listen to rap "music" and/or watch MTV (mostly songs with ladies gyrating) when they're young.
One of my aunts did that with us. We always went for the summer vacations with her. And she was always teaching us borderline naughty songs and poems.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Was it fun for you? Or did it damage you for life? This kid has good parents. If he and I make up some "age appropriate verses," they'll run with it.
@ramapo17 (24597)
• Melbourne, Florida
That stinks @marguicha. I feel bad for you.
Why would you put that in your title? I thought you lost your job. I am so happy that it ended so well. You seem so connected to the little ones. something I was enjoying while working in day care.
Umm. My friend listens to a bunch of songs she shouldnt around her kids, and her 5 year old daughter is posing and dancing like her now too. Sad
• Pleasant Hill, California
When I worked at the mother-and-child women's prison, it was terrible. They'd put on MTV or rap "music" and have their kids swearing and dancing like trollops by the time they were three.
@TheHorse such a shame
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Courtlynn It's amazing to me that parents don't understand how kids imitate everything that happens around them. One of my kid clients curses a lot, and his mom's boyfriend is saying "f*cking this" and "f*cking that" all around the house. I don't even bother teaching such kids not to curse. I just teach them when it's appropriate and when it's not. They get it.
• Richfield, Utah
Hahaha, thank god for cool parents indeed, something I was blessed with with my parents for playing naughty music, and now I pass the torch down to my kids. My kids are avid Green Day, Blink 182 and U2 fans. Lol. Funny story, my 13 year old would belt out Linkin Park when he was a 4 year old! Lol, proud mommy right here
• Pleasant Hill, California
Hard to go wrong with Green Day and U2. Some of my co-teachers like to teach the kids Beatles songs. I like to write down the kids' lyrics when they play my mandolin and start "writing" their own songs. Usually it's something like, "I love Rafi, and I love Noah, and I love playing dress-up, and it's a happy day..."
• Richfield, Utah
@TheHorse lol, throw in some I love mommy and cookies in there and you've got a hit!
• Pleasant Hill, California
@librarygeek1980 I'm ready! My 8-year-old neighbor friend's mom recorded us singing "The Pirate Song," but I want us to do an even better version.
There are some songs my children know that they probably shouldn't. I love music and listen to the songs that I love to sing. One being "Picture" by Kid Rock and Sheryl Crow-not great for little ones but their young.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I haven't heard that one.
@TheHorse It's a good song, to me anyway. Lol. You should listen to it.
I love these tunes from that ear. One I like too is the one about the Fuschia hair. Can't remember the name.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Not sure if I know that one or not!
@TheHorse ......It's a very old song.
@valmnz (12755)
• New Zealand
I remember taking my early teen niece to a musical when she was staying with us once and it turned out to be quite racy in parts. Great that you and your little friend share music together.
@valmnz (12755)
• New Zealand
@TheHorse ha, ha, typical 12 year old
@dragon54u (31615)
So weird to see him so young! Great song, great musician! Glad you introduced the young 'un to him, it's never too early to appreciate the classics! I, too, have changed lyrics when teaching music to little ones. I do it when I read, too, I've gotten good at it with all the practice I've had!
• Pleasant Hill, California
Heh heh. I do that when I read to kids too. Mostly I delete the boring parts.
@dragon54u (31615)
@TheHorse I usually read the horrid parts like when Cinderella's stepmother cuts off her daughter's heel in order to fit the slipper. This came as a surprise to me when I was reading it to my granddaughter, I did not remember it so graphic or maybe my mom also improvised!! Anyway, I finished the story and inserted a disclaimer that was very child friendly that she can do any thing she wants to--she just has to make sure that she is paid for it.
Singing and dancing has always been in my house, all size kids and if the parents do not like it they can find a new free babysitter. What funny I used to have a mirror propped up by the closet door an I would hear the little ones singing and I would peep and they were dancing in front of the mirror too.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yep, little ones can be real hams. But there's some stuff that I simply don't want them imitating. Some of the prison parents I worked with thought it was funny the first time their baby said "f*ck" or "b*tch," and they reinforced it by laughing and asking them to say it again. I modeled a different kind of language, different kinds if music, and even different kinds of dance for the kids. I played this over and over four a 4-year-old who had been over-exposed to MTV, and she was able to do every move within a few weeks, including the finger wag. I don't speak Hindi, so I have no idea what the song is actually about.
Presenting NANI TERI MORNI KO MOR LE GAYE FULL VIDEO SONG from MASOOM A movie starring Ashok Kumar, Sarosh Irani, Honey Irani and Mohan Choti in lead roles, ...
I think that music is usually objective. If you have a naughty mind you will find it naughty, If you are well adjusted you see just the music. I don't think a 3 year old is able to understand the implication of the words of a song. I think you will be safe for a while.
So glad this little one had such fun with "Now you've got your mojo working due to having his underpants on. Muddy Waters lived on my street with his family for quite a while and my mother knew the family well, but I had already moved away from home when Muddy came. His son was a star basketball player at the local high school too. What a talent.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yeah, limits and boundaries make kids feel safe. I wasn't about to let him run around commando and maybe decide to pee on our corn. Once he relented, we were friends again and ready for the blues. Cool that Muddy Water's son was a star in his own way.
Nope never had that problem but I bet that little tyke is going to grow up to be some really serious rocker.
• Pleasant Hill, California
That's my hope. And with his "good" parents, he might get some classical training along the way. Who knows?
As you should know I do not interact with kids, for sure my Mother would have never allowed me to listen or sing a song that was not something for my age. Kids are like sponges, once they have learned dirty words or bad phrases, they use them.
• Pleasant Hill, California
If we make up verses together, they be about playing, and loving friends, and stuff like that. It really does bother me when parents expose kids to inappropriate stuff.
@TheHorse I think it's wrong to expose kids to inappropriate stuff.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@LadyDuck I think many parents don't even think about it. I took a kid client to Walmart yesterday and saw/heard a mom talking about how some product was "bullsh*t" right in front of her kids.
No |I have not, but, it sounds like you are really enjoying yourself and sounds like your little boyness is coming out. I act like a kid when I buy new things to sell and have to try them out on my cat first.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I would not let your cat near my vintage loudspeakers. The grilles on Dynaco A-25s are no longer made and can command $40/pair for the grilles alone!
@TheHorse Horse, are you just talking or talking to me and why can I not be near your vintage speakers or are you speaking to the little ones?
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Hannihar Heh. I was speaking to you kitty! But I lost by ability to edit my comment last night for some reason! Acts love speaker grilles as scratching posts.
@poehere (17700)
• French Polynesia
That is funny and the answer to your question is no. I never did but a few of my friend did with my daughter when she was young.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Any adverse effects?
@poehere (17700)
• French Polynesia
@TheHorse Actually, it was cute. To see a little one singing a sony you never expected them to sing. It made me laugh. I was a young mother so not much bothered me at all and not a lot made me angry.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@poehere What was the song? Or what were the songs?
@RubyHawk (27104)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Muddy Waters is one of my favorites. The kid is a cute one. Glad you didn't get in trouble.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Heh heh. I kind of knew I wouldn't.
@RubyHawk (27104)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@TheHorse You know your Ps and Qs.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@RubyHawk Yeah, these parents are pretty "hip," and I'm pretty good at discussing their kids with them. They don't mind a little blues or a little work with a real screwdriver or hammer.
@dianadee (1727)
• South Africa
Also thought by the title, that you had lost your job..glad that it was not the case!
• Pleasant Hill, California
No, I was just having some fun.
@dianadee (1727)
• South Africa
@TheHorse Have a great week ahead!
• Pleasant Hill, California
@dianadee So far so good.
@velvet53 (16997)
• Palisade, Colorado
I feel it was better learned from you than someone else. You know what you are doing.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I agree. And he has good parents They'll expose him to things like the blues and rock and roll at the proper time.
@velvet53 (16997)
• Palisade, Colorado
@TheHorse That is good to hear. To me music is important. So are you going to teach him to play the drums next?
@FourWalls (14242)
At least it wasn't "Mister mojo rising" from the Doors......
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'll have to go back and listen to that one. And it certainly wasn't this old Lucille Bogan Song. I'll wait until they are about 25 for that one. (real obscenity alert)
Along with Ma Rainey and Bessie Smith, Lucile Bogan is considered one of the three "mothers" of the early Blues. "Shave Me Dry" (aka "Shave 'Em Dry") was her...
@FourWalls (14242)
@TheHorse -- it's a line in "L.A. Woman."