My $1k Challenge Recap: 8/16/17

By Yuki
@yukimori (8542)
It's two days into my quest to come up with an extra $1,000 before November, and I'm off to a great start already. I came up with a total of $123.20 to put toward my new laptop in just a couple of hours tonight. Here's what I did to come up with that amount so far: 1. Cashed out a gift card from Cross Media Panel The Cross Media Panel is a Google panel that pays you to install software on your computer, smartphone, and/or tablet. The apps share your web and mobile app usage with Google, who use the information to improve their products and services. In exchange, they pay panelists weekly rewards that can be redeemed for electronic gift cards. The panel software is so unobtrusive that I generally forget I'm a member until I really want something. I had $31.50 when I checked my account today, so I redeemed the highest value gift card I could for my employer. Amount gained: $25 2. Rolled my loose change Every so often I round up all the loose coins in my purse and deposit them in my Moola bottle. That's not just a cutesy name for the bottle--it's a Moola brand milk bottle that I inherited from my great uncle Bob. Amount gained: $80.20 3. Raided my bottle deposits Bottle deposits really aren't much of a thing here in Arizona, but there's a local dairy a few hours away who have some really awesome products that are sold in glass bottles at a handful of stores in my area. Each bottle has a refundable $2 deposit on it, which you get back when you bring your empty bottles back to the store. I set the money aside in one of their jars that I decided to keep, and occasionally use it for small things the kids want to buy. Amount gained: $16 I also did a few things that won't pay off immediately but will help contribute to my laptop fund: -ran nCrave videos on Swagbucks -ran videos on the InboxDollars app for Android -requested a bunch of mystery shopping assignments for the next couple of weeks -completed a survey for Harris Poll -set up the Cross Media Panel on all three device types they support, which will increase my weekly earnings -set up a few store visits to audit products for companies -participated a bit here on myLot It feels good to be off to such a great start! I wasn't expecting to have quite as much loose change as I did. I still have a big jar full of pennies to count and roll, too, but I ran out of wrappers before I could get to them tonight.
@vandana7 (57187)
Hey ..keep a few ..who knows some of them might have great numismatic value..
@yukimori (8542)
I really should put in the time to learn a bit more about the ones that have value to collectors. I've just been too lazy to spend the time and energy to do it. I do have a small collection of neat coins that I've found, like silver quarters and dimes. I had a customer give me a 5 pence coin last week in place of a dime. That was kind of an oddity--it's not unheard of to get Canadian or Mexican coins here, but European ones are really rare to find.
@vandana7 (57187)
@yukimori .. Watch out before surrendering...some fetch real good value.
@yukimori (8542)
@vandana7 That's the thing, though... gotta have a buyer for them to be worth more than the face value.
@ilocosboy (31861)
You're going to make it soon I'm sure.
@yukimori (8542)
I hope so! I didn't realize how ready I was to get a new laptop until I found the one I'm saving up for... I'm not usually this impatient when it comes to major purchases, but this one has me really excited for some of the things I'll be able to do with regards to designing products for my online store and stuff like that.
@ilocosboy (31861)
With that kind of determination in no time you'll have the money.
That's a lot of activities but hey, that's fine. Good luck to you, hope you meet your target amount by the deadline you set.
@yukimori (8542)
So far, so good. I'd love to keep up the momentum I have going already.
@yukimori Cheering you on!
@mandala100 (25004)
@yukimori Wow! That's great to know my friend.
@yukimori (8542)
I hope it gives others here some ideas they can use. Just wish that every site I use was available worldwide so all myLotters could use them.
@mandala100 (25004)
@yukimori That's a good thought my friend.
I haven't had to 'roll' coins since back in my convenience store days.
@yukimori (8542)
Stores seem to frown on getting large quantities of the things when they're loose. Who knew?
@yukimori It takes some customers forever to count them out too...I used to tell them to just dump it on the counter and let me do it, made it a lot quicker
@yukimori (8542)
@JolietJake Makes me glad that the majority of our sales tend to be on card rather than cash, so that's not really much of a thing. I did have to deal with the aftermath of someone accepting like $50 in loose quarters one day, though... I swear they planned it for the first day I had to do all the opening stuff on my own just for funsies.
Ah, good ones! I forgot the gift cards . . . isn't there some site that buys them from you too? Loose change . . . we do have some "jars" - I guess I could finally make use of them. I don't know of CA has refundable anything . . . but you gave me the idea that I could potentially get money for the recyclables - if I got off my butt instead of tossing them in the recycling bin. I suppose I would do more online things, but I know I would take forever - but better than nada. Wow, well I hope you make it all in time!!
@yukimori (8542)
There are a few of those out there. The one I'm familiar with is Cardpool, since I've occasionally purchased cards there to use at retailers. I love being able to add those savings onto my own, and I'm probably going to use that to boost my savings with the cash I've accumulated when it comes time to make the purchase. I'm pretty sure CA has bottle deposits, which we don't have... I sell our stuff by the pound to a local salvage yard. I'm going to have to start saving plastic bottles, too, because I just found out there's another place nearby that buys those. I wish I could talk our landlord into getting a recycling service out here for us, but we're going to have to pay for the service if we want it. I hate throwing so much that could be recycled away in the trash.
@yukimori I know you know how to make the most of your money . . . someday I think you should write the book . I think we do have the bottle deposit on the glass ones - for a certain milk brand I think anyway . . . but I don't get that milk (I should investigate). I remember our old apartment complex finally got one dinky recycling bin for all the recyclables, but that got quickly filled up beyond the rim that things would just fall to the ground and people wouldn't care (made the place look real trashy). I should try to haul all our recyclables and see much we actually get for what we use .. . maybe it'll be worth something!
@yukimori (8542)
@much2say Sounds like a good plan. One of these days I might get around to writing... maybe not a full book, but actually getting ye olde blog off the ground would probably be a decent alternative given how quickly some of the things can change online. I was skimming through an investing book I picked up at a thrift store a couple years back. The copyright date is 2003... not all that long ago, but some of the advice is painfully outdated in terms of interest rates and even recommended banks have closed their doors and/or been acquired by others since then.
@sugartoes (33754)
• Greencastle, Indiana
WOW at that rate you'll be there in record time as long as everything keeps working like it is mow. good luck & I sure hope you succeed in your task.