A golden dome on the horizon

Bunbury, Australia
We spotted a golden dome in the distance while we were driving through France. Shortly after we saw a sign to a Tibetan Buddhist centre so we drove in to have a look. The stupa was quite impressive. Vince saw a lot of these when he went to Nepal. I was intrigued by the eyes which it seems are found on all stupas. It seems they symbolise the all-seeing ability of the Buddha. Buddhism is the fourth largest religion in France and there are over 200 meditation centres. Followers are mainly Chinese, Vietnamese and Korean immigrants plus native French converts. If there is no photo I'm sorry. I'll add it when we get better internet reception.
@YrNemo (9322)
4th religion there? Wow, I never knew!
It's a bit surprising isn't it? At least it was for me.
@YrNemo (9322)
@JudyEv How is Muslim rated over there? (second?)
@YrNemo Islam forms about 2.1% of Australia's population.
@poehere (17793)
• French Polynesia
When I was in China and Japan I visited several Budah temples. They were fantastic and so interesting. I am so glad you decided to stop and see this temple.
Vince has some wonderful photos of the ones in Nepal. They are certainly something to behold It's good you got to visit some.
@poehere (17793)
• French Polynesia
@JudyEv They are fantastic. I really enjoyed my time in Japan and China and each time I have to work there I find even more fantastic and interesting things to see and visit.
@poehere It's impossible to see everything isn't it? I know we've missed lots but we're just thankful for the things we did see.
• Denmark
A stupa in France must indeed look surprising. Haven't you got a photo?
I've been trying to load a photo but can't manage it at the moment. I'll have to do it when we have stronger internet reception.
I've loaded a photo now @MALUSE
• Denmark
@JudyEv I can see it now. The stupa looks a bit lost in this non-Asian surroundings.
was your photo too large there to download.I see you blame it on the reception? We had a golden dome on our state house here in Concord,NH. Thank you for this report judy
The photo is only 500kg so it should be okay. I tried a different photo as occasionally a particular photo won't load for some reason but it didn't make any difference. I'll have to wait till tomorrow or later.
@JudyEv that is kind of weird there.
@amadeo I've been able to load it at this campsite.
thats fascionaing sounds lile oui have had qute an inoressve tour
The photo won't load at the moment. It has been a very lovely journey so far thanks.
@averygirl72 (16430)
What is a stupa? Buddhism and meditations is an interesting religion for me
In other religions it would be called a temple or church.. I can't load a photo so perhaps I'll do another post when I have better reception
@averygirl72 (16430)
@JudyEv I see
A friend of mine is Buddhist, her mom was Japanese and raised her in that religion. I tried to learn more about it then I found out that like Christianity there are many different forms of Buddhism, I find both somewhat confusing.
My Buddhist friend calls Buddhism a philosophy rather than a religion which is interesting. I knew there were different 'version'. It all depends on a person's take on things doesn't it?
Now that you mention it @JudyEv my friend has never referred to Buddhism as a religion but she does say she is spiritual.
If I were to decide to start following a religion, it would be Buddhism.
We have a friend who is virtually a Buddhist but she says it isn't a religion, it's a philosophy. It certainly has a lot going for it.
@JudyEv - That makes perfect sense.
Every one needs to meditate once in their lives, hope to see that photo of yours one day.
I won't post again until we have better reception. All my posts rely on a photo to some degree.
That must have been quite the sight to behold.
It's a pity the photo won't load. I'll try again when we have a stronger signal.
Sounds interesting, and kind of like who knew?
We were surprised to come across it in country France.
That golden dome had to be a treat for the eyes!!
Sorry about the lack of photo. I'll add it later when we have stronger internet coverage.