Question Of The Day? Car Tasks

By DB
Can you still do any of these car related tasks? 1. Change a tire 2. Drive a manual transmission (stick) 3. Parallel park The way things are today it seems these tasks are performed less and less or not at all. When is the last time you did any of these mentioned items? With newer cars and technology, doing a car task has become a "lost art." So how about it, have you, or ever had to, do any of the above car tasks? Photo- Google images
Yes, I can do these if need be.
I have not driven a manual since college and wasn't very good then. I can do the other 2 though. 2 out of 3 ain't bad
@dgobucks226 Same I would say out of the 3. I'm best at changing tires lol.
I have not change a tire or I will not to.I am covered.I did most of this in my younger days. we had to learn to drive on a stick shift and did not mind it a bit.Like a hot rodder.lol
So you like driving a stick shift, you NASCAR demon you! And parallel parking I bet was no problem for you.
@dgobucks226 Not too bad.But avoid this as much as problem
@amadeo I agree
1. My dad taught me to change a tire . . . but since it's been so long, I think I forgot! 2. Yes, indeed! My last car 2 cars were sticks . . . I miss that (current car is automatic). 3. Yes, I'm not afraid to parallel park anymore thanks to a trick a friend taught me many years back!
Changing a tire is like riding bike. It would come back to you! Driving a stick shift Wow, what is the parallel park trick?
@dgobucks226 Well, my dad "taught" me to change a tire, but I never actually did it. My very first car was an automatic, but Hubby taught me to drive a stick . . . it was confusing at first but I got good at it . . . and I think that is like riding a bike. So the parallel trick, if I can explain it right. Say you want to parallel park in between 2 cars. Get next to the front car as close as possible. Put in "rear", then turn the steering all the way in the direction you would go to park, and then go. Look in the rear view mirror as you go . . . this trick is . . . as soon as you see the corner of the back car disappear, that's when you turn the steering wheel the other way to finish fitting into that space. Did that make any sense?
@much2say It did! Thanks, I'll try that
@mandala100 (25012)
@dgobucks226 Those are good questions my friend. Question No. 1, I did it 3 months ago; as to Question No.2 I haven't done ot for more than 9 years my friend; and for Question No. 3, I just did it 2 days ago my friend. I hope that you are having a nice day my friend.
Peter you are quite the car task master
I can drive a manual transmission, but cannot change a tire. As for parallel parking, it is a challenge and I avoid it when I can.
Well, for me you can do the hardest one! I have not driven a manual since college and wasn't very good then. I can do the other 2 though. Parallel parking can be tricky
I do not drive, but in Europe if you cannot parallel park you are lost, as most of the time this is how people park on the side of the roads. Most cars here in Switzerland have a manual transmission. My husband drives a car with manual transmissions and parallel park the car every time we go out shopping. The last time he changed a tire was three years ago.
Thank you for that concise and wonderful response. I have not driven a manual since college and wasn't very good then. I can do the other 2 though.
@dgobucks226 My husband tried an automatic, it's not the best for Swiss roads. When we traveled in the United States he always asked for an automatic.
@LadyDuck Just curious, how are the Swiss roads different from the U.S. ones and why is manual better? Is it the terrain?
I can actually do all three of those!
Have you done them recently or has it been some time?
@dgobucks226 - Nah, it's been a long time. I haven't owned a car in years.
@teamfreak16 What a life you have man! No car payments or repairs to worry about Hey, how is your relocation going?
@SonjaRae (5794)
I can still do all three of those things! Not necessarily out of choice but have to. I haven't driven a stick shift in about 20 years but I'm sure I could still do it
Good for you! I would struggle mightily with manual driving. No patience with stick shifts. Have you had to parallel park recently? Or do you avoid it?
@SonjaRae (5794)
@dgobucks226 I parallel park daily. Simple for me!
@SonjaRae NICE!
@m_audrey6788 (10929)
Nope..Don`t have my own car
Are you planning on getting one in the future? Parallel parking would be something to know how to do (if you are) and it seems many cars in Europe are manual?
@dgobucks226 ..I can`t drive and I`m more comfortable with walking and using public transportation but of course a lot of people have good cars like Mercedes Benz, Porche, BMW, Audi, Ferrari
@m_audrey6788 Yes, there are a lot of fancy cars in Europe. Public transportation will take you to where you need to go, and you don't have to parallel park
@bluesa (11951)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
I can't change a tire, it is a struggle for me, I am always like, please don't let anything happen, puhlease...and uh, so far so good.
Plus, those tires can be heavy to remove. Road service anyone Have a great Sunday
@bluesa (11951)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@dgobucks226 that's right "D" . Thank you . Have a great Sunday too!
@poehere (17456)
• French Polynesia
I do that every day. Here most cars are manual and not automatic. Plus where I have to park it is basically parallel parking in my home. I even change my oil and flus my fluids in the car. My dad and grandpa taught me to do this one.
Yes, changing your own oil another car task that is becoming a lost art. Great comments Ann
@poehere (17456)
• French Polynesia
I have changed tires. Not fun. Done much parallel parking in my time. I drove a stick until a few years ago.
Have to agree about changing tires. I have AAA so no longer need to do that task.
@peavey (15865)
I think I can still change a tire, but it's been a long time since I had to. I learned to drive with a stick shift, so I am confident that I still can. I might be a little jerky at first, but I would remember quickly. As far as parallel park, I have never been good at it. When I got my driver's license (many years ago!) I parked perfectly, then looked ahead and I was about a half a car length from the car in front of me. I don't know why, but the police officer let me pass anyway. I avoid parallel parking as much as possible.
I have not driven a manual since college and wasn't very good then. I can do the other 2 though. If I don't need to I also avoid parallel parking. Thanks for your feedback!
I've never done the first. I did drive a manual and ruined the truck and it needed repair. So haven't touched one since. Good thing, right? As for parallel parking. I had to learn in Driver's Ed and did do it successfully, however, I avoid it as much as possible.
I hear you! I have not driven a manual since college and wasn't very good then. I can do the other 2 though.
I used to be able to parallel park but it's been a while. And I should learn how to change a tire.
Changing a tire is not as difficult as it might look. I think driving a manual transmission car and parallel parking are a bit more challenging.