My grandfather died

Last week I heard bad news on Facebook that my cousin had rolled her car and was in critical condition. I just got word that she is awake and asking questions so that is good news. As if that was not enough for her family m grandfather died the 9th so now the poor girl will wake up to hear that sad news. I hate when people die and suddenly everyone was their best friend so I am being honest in that I barely know either my cousin or my grandfather. Since I was young our family has never been close. My grandfather lived a few hours away when I was young and I would see him about once a year when he came to town. The only words I remember him saying were “your getting big is your father home” then I would run off and play while they visited. I remember visiting with them one time when I was about 15 and seeing how similar they looked and acted. He had lived in Florida for many years so I saw him still once a year or so for a few minutes if I was home when he came by. The only time I remember actually having a conversation with him was an adult when my daughter was a newborn he stopped to see my dad and I came outside and visited with them. I only remember real talking about the cruise control feature on our cars lol. So I shed a few tears yesterday for those in the family who were closer to him or were closer to him at one time like my grandmother who had been divorced from him since my father was a teen.
So sorry to hear about your grandfather. Our family wasn't particularly close either. When we were young, we all got together for for holidays and events, but now the older generation doesn't visit each other and we cousins are busy with our own lives. If it weren't for Facebook, we probably wouldn't even keep in touch at all.
I remember going to parties and things on that side of the family when we were kids and I loved it I’m not really sure what happened that it stopped.
@shaggin Long story, but I do remember we stopped Christmas . . . and eventually we stopped Thanksgiving. My aunt was the only one who at least kept up New Year's (a bigger holiday for the Japanese) and she always had us all over for traditional Japanese New Year's food each year . . . the one time we'd all get together in the later years. But then she passed away - and then none of the families got together after that - which is sad.
@much2say aww that is sad
@DaddyEvil (22402)
Oh, my... your family has had their share of bad news, Shaggin. I am sorry about that. I am happy your cousin is doing much better, though... but what sad news to learn when she first wakes up. SMH! I wrote quite a bit more, but decided I'd say the rest in a pm to you. I do hope that is okay with you, hon.
When I woke up I saw I got a private message notification from you but on my ipod I can only see the right half of the message screen and cannot respond at all. Right now I am doing cyber school and my tablet does not get internet connection in this room. When I get time later I will go in my living room and read and respond to your message :)
@DaddyEvil (22402)
@shaggin I can't believe how long it has been since I talked with you last, Shaggin. I am very sorry about that. I will do my best not to let such a long stretch of time pass again without visiting with you. The pm really isn't important. I was just talking about family.
@DaddyEvil I am surprised at times how long time goes by when I spot posts from some mylot members. I think it is generally that we are not active at the same times so it won't show up in my recent discussions tab then I have to go looking for people. I knew you had health problems so I was worried. If you weren't active I would have emailed you so I'm glad to see you had new posts.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
I was raised around my mom's parents but not my dad's.
Same here I was very close to my moms parents.
@BarBaraPrz My mothers parents lived across the street as well and I now have been living in that house the past 14 years
@BarBaraPrz (17542)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
@shaggin Nice! My grandparents' place now houses three semi-detached homes.
@bunnybon7 (33102)
• Holiday, Florida
it is sad how family grows apart over the years and maybe he was like the one I remember that never spoke a lot anyway. especially to kids and the women folk. lol
Could be he was not very talkative I really don’t know since I wasn’t around him much. My father never really talked to us when we were young. I know him better as an adult.
@bunnybon7 (33102)
• Holiday, Florida
@shaggin quiet men in your family.
@bunnybon7 Not with friends just us at home. Nothing in common maybe.
@ebanreb (4812)
Condolence my friend. Eternal rest grant to the soul
Thank you!
@ebanreb (4812)
@shaggin my pleasure
@dgobucks226 (6746)
Sympathy for your loss. Even thought you were not close it is always sad when someone you knew passes.
It is sad but I mostly just feel sad for the others who knew him more and I'm sure are feeling the loss.
@shaggin Oh for sure! It is always a great loss to someone who is very close.
@bluesa (12851)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Not all families are super close. I am sorry about your grandfather, may he rest in peace. And I hope your cousin will make a full recovery from any injuries.
I feel people will judge me for not knowing him well but its more then just one persons fault in a matter like this. Thank you for your kind words.
@bluesa (12851)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@shaggin agreed, he could have tried to get to know you too. You're welcome
Condolences are in order. So sorry your relationship wasn't closer.
Thank you I suppose it is both our faults we didn’t know each other better.
@shaggin It must have been difficult with the distance he lived and the infrequent visits. My grandparents were divorced, but I was much closer to my grandmother. I did visit my grandfather when he lived in Georgia and later Florida and exchanged a few letters, but we were never close. Such is life.
I am very sorry, even if you were not too close, I know that a loss in the family is always a sad event.
I am a bit sad for the family members who knew him and must be hurting at the loss.
@shaggin This is very sad.
@Shellyann36 (8618)
So sorry for the loss of your grandfather and that your cousin was in such a bad accident. I am not close to my dad's side of the family. I have not seen most of them in years. I stay in contact with one aunt and a few of my cousins and that is it.
It is a bit of a relief that it is not just my family who are not close. My cousin finally updated facebook so I know she's doing better to be online. Took selfies in the hospital bed where she will be for along time it said. I hope she wasn't badly injured. Her younger sister has ms and has lived in a wheelchair since she was very small. Her mother having to take care of another person in a wheelchair would be too much.
I hope you will feel better. I also lost my grandpa not long ago.
@Platespinner (18532)
Sorry for your family's loss, and for the loss of not ever really having much of a relationship to begin with.
Thank you!
• Marion, Kansas
Family tragedies really hit hard, any time but especially in this time of year. I understand how it is not to feel close but still to feel sympathetic.
I do not recall ever spending a holiday with him but I am sure my father will be sad on the holiday remembering when he was young.
Sorry for you lose of yoir grandfather. Glad your cousin is improving.
I was worried my cousin would die and then my aunt would have to grieve the loss of her daughter and father within days of each other. I am very glad to hear she is doing better.
At least your memories of him are not bad ones -- R.I.P.
That’s is a good point thank you!
@nomus24g (16442)
Sorry to hear about the loss....
Thank you!
I was not raised around my grandparents either.
Neither side of the family?