What's For Dinner?

I'm usually here in the morning but today turned out to be a busy day so here I am now. I'm so happy I put a stew in the crockpot this morning so now I don't have to worry about the "what's for dinner" game. The house smells so good and I'm looking forward to having a nice hot bowl of stew. Spur of the moment we decided to go shopping for Thanksgiving. Well not the whole meal but a good portion of it. Would you believe that they don't sell frozen turnips in any of the supermarkets here in my area of Pennsylvania? So our yearly tradition is to go into New Jersey and get not only the turnips but a few other things at the Stop n Shop. We got our turnips which is a big tradition in our family for Thanksgiving. It's the one dish everyone eats including the kids. Lucky for us the weather was sunny and in the 50's (F) so we didn't have to bundle up or deal with bad weather. By the time we got home I was tired and took a nap which lasted longer than I had anticipated. Hope everyone had a good day!!
I grow turnips but I had no idea they sold them frozen. How do you prepare the turnips?
The turnips come in little pieces (all frozen) so I boil them like potatoes and then mash them with butter, salt & pepper (nothing fancy). I'm envious of you growing your own turnips
I don't think that I have seen frozen turnips in stores.
They are hard to find where I live but all the supermarkets had them when I lived in New York
• Lakewood, Colorado
I love turnips and parsnips.
I've never really had parsnips but I do love turnips. How are you these days?
• Lakewood, Colorado
@Marilynda1225 Sweet friend, I am not well thanks for asking xo
@TiarasOceanView sorry to hear that my friend
Heyyy! Stop & shop is my store! Main grocery store we buy from. Its right out back of our house. We had lasagna tonight.
We don't have a Stop n Shop here and I miss it. It was my favorite store to shop in when I lived in NY. I love lasagna!!
@Marilynda1225 ahh pooie. Me too! Well, ours anyways.
Your stew sounds like a nice idea. I thought about making a stew the other day and then I made something else. We had turkey clubhouse sandwiches for supper. When is your Thanksgiving?
I had some beef cubes in the freezer so I just figured it was easy to throw it all together in the crockpot. Turkey sandwiches sound really good too Our Thanksgiving in next Thursday and we'll be going to my daughters house to celebrate
@Marilynda1225 I thought that it must be getting close since there are so many posts about it. I love Thanksgiving, I wish that we had a holiday to enjoy in November, but our Thanksgiving was last month and now we have to wait until Christmas to have another holiday. But we'll wait, and we'll enjoy!
@Morleyhunt (16704)
I planned ahead. The crockpot was cooking my chili as I ran around taking care of all the financial aspects of buying a house. Closing is Friday....tomorrow we move dad into long term care...so today had to be the day!
Wow you really sound busy. Wishing you all good things with your new house. Hope things work out with your dad moving into long term care.
@Morleyhunt (16704)
@Marilynda1225 he's moved...for the moment he is happy....we'll take that for as long as we have it.
@peachpurple (10709)
turnips are usually sold raw here, dinner was fried fish and veggies but the fish smell stale
Sorry your fish smelled stale but did it taste okay?
@peachpurple (10709)
@Marilynda1225 a bit raw but still edible, no diarrhea yet.
So glad you got those turnips!!!! A good day here but a rainy, gray and chilly one.
Turnips are our family tradition so it wouldn't feel right if we didn't have them.
@Marilynda1225 With us it is broccoli. I love broccoli, but not sure if everyone else loves it as much as I do. Love those traditions.
@Emmlex1000 (1416)
• Lagos, Nigeria
My day was beautiful
Glad you had a good day
• Lagos, Nigeria
I didn't see frozen turnips,That is good to taste? I usually cook fresh turnips.
The taste isn't any different but it's just so much easier to cook frozen ones than peel a fresh turnip
I am dining on spaghetti this evening.
Spaghetti is good any day. I love spaghetti
Mmmmm! Sounds great! We had burgers tonight.
I love burgers and we have them at least once a week
Yum stew sounds pretty good.
Haven't had stew in awhile and it turned out really good.
I was so tired of that gross dish I am s glad it's not on my table these days. I am sure you will adore it and I am hoping you have a great dinner.
I haven't had it in awhile and it did turn out really good.
Today was sunny and in the 70's (F). - lovely weather - and it will remain in that range unless we get a cold spell coming in from North America.
Glad you have lovely weather and can enjoy those pleasant temperatures
I don't think I've ever had a turnip in my life. I sometimes buy some kind of frozen chopped greens for my parrot (maybe mustard) that has diced up cubes of turnips in them. I add that into her cooked rice/bean/veggie mixture.
Turnips are pretty good but never knew that parrots would eat them
@Bopsalay (157)
• Phuket, Thailand
Pizza is good choice for dinner
No real dinner, but a large Denny's lunch. I only eat turnips in soup..!
@kobesbuddy (19363)
• East Tawas, Michigan
I'm glad you're getting everything you need, for Thanksgiving Dinner. Turnips, I love them! Our weather is warmer, also but not in the 50s. Have a great evening! We had chicken meat-pie for supper.
Thanksgiving is only a week away so now the focus will be on all the cooking and of course anticipation of eating all that good food.
@kobesbuddy (19363)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Marilynda1225 Yes, it's the one day of the year, we eat dessert when we're not suppose to:)
I have never seen frozen turnips, there are fresh turnips right now for sale, not something I buy anyway.