HAPPY TO BE LIVING IN THE 21ST CENTURY.

image from pixabay
This afternoon I was mopping the veranda and the thought came to me - again - that I am happy to be living in this century and not one or two centuries ago. Imagine how much harder it was for women back then - in every area including housework. For example - instead of using a mop and mop bucket or other more modern equipment, women back then were expected to go down on hands and knees and scrub floors with a brush. And I suppose in the case of servants, whether they suffered from painful joints or other ailments - the job had to be done. Now just look at all the appliances that are available - from the washing machine to the vegetable chopper. Aren't you happy to be living in these modern times? Anyway, see if you can name at least three modern appliances that you can get by just fine without. I can get by without a washing machine, dish washer and vegetable chopper.
No way I would give up my washing machine or did you intend to use a laundromat? I could give up things like toasters and electric kettles very easily - and my dish washer if I had to.
Well I live alone - basically - and I don't wear jeans or other heavy clothes, so I could hand wash if necessary. Heavy stuff like bedcovers could be taken to the laundromat.
@Kandae11 It was the sheets and towels I was thinking about.
@JudyEv I can handle my sheets and towels - but not a whole pile. I couldn't do it if I wasn't living alone.
I am also very happy to be living in the 21st century.
So many advances in medicine, technology etc.
@YrNemo (8553)
Hmm, when I was living alone, I never needed a washing machine. I still don't use dishwasher, veggie chopper, deep fryer, bread maker etc
I don't use any of those, but I would like t try the bread maker.
@YrNemo Maybe I'll stay with baking bread in my oven.
@YrNemo (8553)
@Kandae11 I copied the bread maker technique in mixing the dough and I think I could make the dough quite OK these days, pretty quick! (for bread or bagel or challah etc, using 4 cups of flour). Yeah, don't bother buying a breadmaker.
I've written posts on here about my grandmothers' lifestyles - so very different from today. It would take a whole day to do the washing etc. They pretty much worked from dawn till dusk every day just doing housework. I've never had a dishwasher or tumbledryer.
pixabay image.
Washing clothes was tough in those days.
@Kandae11 Yes, it really was.
@Kandae11 Thanks for the picture Kandae.
@ridingbet (37922)
we washed our clothes in the river-my mother, i and our neighbors. that was nice. today, washing machines seem to be present in almost all houses.
I saw women doing that after the last devastating hurricane - when power and water went.
@ridingbet (37922)
@Kandae11 thwe problem is, ehrn the flood waters reach and get mixed with the river waters, then the clothes won't be immaculately clean and white.
• Eugene, Oregon
I have been without a dishwasher, but did not like it. A vegetable chopper or Cuisinart I could do without, though Anne uses it a lot. Hmm, it is hard to think of a third one, but if I had one, I would say that electric knives are silly.
Would you believe this is the first time I am hearing of an electric knife? I think a very sharp knife would do the job just as efficiently.
• Eugene, Oregon
@Kandae11 So do I, but those rechargeable knives have been around for a long time now and I have seen people carve, or attempt to carve a turkey with them.
@sjvg1976 (14597)
I am happy to be in 21st century as we have now mobile phones and computers and the internet services . Now to message someone is very easy unlike in old days when people used to depend on the postal department .
Yes indeed, but sometimes my smartphone makes me long for an old unsmart one. I hate when it dials a number on its own- especially when the number belongs to someone I don't feel like talking to.
@1hopefulman (20311)
So, do you do all your washing by hand? I'm glad that the building I live in has a washing machine and a dryer.
All of the buildings I lived in while in the city had laundry facilities (washing machines etc) Now I am in the country - from 2015 and live by myself - I don't need a washing machine. I never wear jeans or heavy clothes and I enjoy washing my own stuff and using nature to get them dry.
@1hopefulman (20311)
@Kandae11 So, you are a country girl! I guess if the weather is pleasant all year, one has less need for clothing and it is easier to wash and dry. I am spoiled! I have no dishwasher and have no need for one. I do have a vegetable chopper but rarely use it.
@1hopefulman It is okay when you like doing something - if I didn't I could easily find another way.
@Bluedoll (16820)
Your cheating! I want my washing machine and dryer. You can't say go to the laundry mat because that is what you will use there. Okay, what you could get by without at home. I could get by without a dryer but I just want it. Let's see what else? My blender, my electric bread making machine and my juicer maybe could toss out. I don't own an electric tooth brush even though some swear by them.
pixabay image
Ha, ha, You're right, but I have used washing machines in small apartment complexes where I lived ( from 6 to 12 tenants) and I have used a laundromat about 6 times in my entire life. I'll be honest here, I enjoy washing my clothes by hand (I use gloves of course) I can then be sure that wherever I want scrubbed is scrubbed. Apart from that I look on it as a form of exercise. I also like hanging my clothes in the sun. I was thinking it would be lovely to have a bread making machine. Fresh air and sunshine is good for one's clothes and sheets.
@Bluedoll (16820)
@Kandae11 bread machine takes away the hard work of kneading but it never produces the same results. I would like hanging clothes like in the picture too but not where I'm at. I know what you mean I'll give some clothes special attention and can do a better job.
@Bluedoll This is the second comment which has served to convince me that I should stick to my good old oven baking.
We've definitely come along way, even in food, every thing's almost instant. You don't have to make them from scratch. They can be bought pre-mixed or ready made in supermarkets. If there are modern appliances I can live with out and I actually don't have them at home because I don't feel the need to, I'm perfectly fine with out them and these are: dish washer, vegetable chopper, electric kettle, floor polisher.
Talking about food you are so right - no more grating coconut, you can by the instant powder, buy pre cooked meats , pre chopped vegetables - and the list goes on.
@pitsipeahie I am trying to consume more fresh foods and less of those which need preservatives. Let's face it - packaged and canned foods need preservatives in order to prolong the shelf life. Recently I learned that one of my favorite cereals had too much of a certain preservative which could be harmful to our health.
@Kandae11 That's true. Better to eat fresh. No wonder there are a lot of diseases today that don't even exist decades, centuries ago and one contributory factor to that are the food we eat now a days, even the products we use. Truly, modernity and technology also comes at a price. There are pros and cons to everything.
@dpk262006 (54729)
With the passage of time, new things are invented and it makes our life easier. Although, every new gadget has its flip side also.
I know. My smart phone annoys me at times.
@dpk262006 (54729)
@Kandae11 How it makes you feel irritated?
@dpk262006 Like if it isn't turned off, it redials numbers - sometimes it is someone I don't want to talk to.
@LilyBeBack (1675)
I don't trust dishwashers and I've never had one... I've got a tumble dryer and I could get by without it but my house would be even more damp than it already is I'm between blenders at the moment and of course I can live without one but having one makes it easier for me to prepare a wider variety of healthy foods
Yes, I need my blender to make smoothies.
@Kandae11 I can't wait til I get my new one! I've been lucky cos my mam's got it for me for Christmas, I wouldn't have been able to afford it myself
@yanzalong (8780)
The minuses are that we now move slightly thus becoming fat.
Fast foods, processed foods, overuse of preservatives and fertilizers, less walking more sitting - yes we are becoming fatter and sicker . Even with those minuses I still prefer to be living in the 21st century.
@yanzalong (8780)
@Kandae11 Indeed, me too.
• Peoria, Arizona
Yeah, it is scary to think about haha even though I sometimes mop on my hands and knees because I think things to get really clean. But yes, it is terrifying to think how life would be back then. of course...no one would be pressured to have a job haha!
I can just see certain servants and slaves having it extra tough because they must work under any deplorable condition.
• Peoria, Arizona
@Kandae11 Well obviously, yeah. That is how history is. But then there is how my family is which is in "poverty" in the economical standers and families that had to deal with that back then, barely survived. So they couldn't even afford slaves. They would all die before anything could happen.
There are times I have thought about that if we did not have what we have now it would be harder to do things. I see your point.
Yet, we would survive, but it is easier in these times.
@Kandae11 Yes, it is easier in these times. I have thought what it was like back then. People get used to things.
@thelme55 (11833)
I am happy living in this century, too. I do not want to miss my washing machine. It is a hard work washing the clothes with my hands. Before when I was still a teenager, I was washing clothes with my mother and siblings in the river near our house.
I agree, that a washing machine is very convenient.
• Preston, England
I don't have a dish washer, a food blender or a coffee grinder
No dish washer for me either.
Never had a dishwasher so that is one. I chop my own veggies, so that is # two for me as well. I do not need a mixer, I have a hand mixer no power needed, I do not need a can opener, I have one that needs no power, I do not need a vacuum cleaner, I do own a broom. I do not need a toaster, I do not need a microwave. I do without many power items because I want to be off the power grid and go solar.
I know quite a few people who have gone solar - but it costs quite a penny upfront.
@LoriAMoore (9987)
Oh yeah, i couldn't have made it in the old days.
Those were tough days.
@nanette64 (13781)
• Fairfield, Texas
Definitely can do without a dishwasher @Kandae11 . Cell phone not a necessity. Electric can opener; nope. Fryer, blender, slow cooker; nope.
So many appliances we can choose to use or not use.