Thanksgiving Potluck Luncheon

@moffittjc (35735)
Gainesville, Florida
My team at work is planning a Thanksgiving potluck luncheon today, and I signed up to bring black-eyed peas. My aunt has a recipe that gives the black-eyed peas a little kick to them, and it seems that every time I make them they are a huge hit! So I can't wait for my team to try them! In addition, I'm also bringing a southern pecan pie and a pumpkin pie, because it didn't look like anyone signed up to bring desserts! For those of you in the US, do you have Thanksgiving luncheons/dinners at your place of employment?
I guess I could, but since I am the only employee and even Boss ain't there it would be weird lol
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
If I was the employee and the boss, my Thanksgiving potluck luncheon would consist of me going to a place like Boston Market or Golden Corral and ordering up a nice big meal! haha
How? Interesting reason. Who made you the employee and even Boss is not there it would be weird? What's so funny?
@Didichoune I've worked for the same guy for 10 years now, he has a small online business (among other things) and I basically run it for him.
@LoriAMoore (10003)
Enjoy. Me and @njchicaa won't eat food other people bring in to work. Knowing what my hoarder mom's house and kitchen looked like and not knowing if other people wash their hands, etc. I don't take my chances. Yes, I know it could happen at a restaurant too, but potlucks freak me out.
True story! I'll contribute but I won't eat other people's stuff.
@m_audrey6788 I'm very picky about what I eat. Most "potluck" food wouldn't be anything I'd want to eat.
When I taught, the school district would fill a table with Thanksgiving foods for staff to enjoy. Our son went to a small high school, and every year, the school would serve a Thanksgiving dinner for the entire school before the Thanksgiving break.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
The elementary school my kids went to did something like that. They would serve all the kids a big Thanksgiving feast for a school lunch, and then they would invite all the parents to come have a Thanksgiving lunch with the principal. It was always such a great meal!
@moffittjc So nice to hear that another school does that. Just a nice time for all to gather together.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Corbin5 And a great way to get parents to visit the school and meet the principal!
@1creekgirl (8743)
I love black eyed peas and am dying to know your secret ingredient. I promise I won't tell.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
Bacon fat, pork stock, a hint of jalapeƱos, red and green bell peppers, some tomato, and a little bit of spices.
@moffittjc Whoa! I'll try it.
@moffittjc Yummy! A heart attack in a pot I used to cook like that.
I could just dive into that pecan pie right now!
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
It sure was delicious! Thankfully, there were a couple of pieces leftover, so I was able to bring them home to eat later!
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
@snowy22315 In fact, I'm getting hungry for some pie right now! lol
Wow. It looks great.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
I can't take credit for making the pecan pie. I bought that at the grocery store! lol One thing I'm not good at is baking.
@moffittjc But it looks really amazing! Is it was expensive?
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
@TheInvisibleMan Yes, it does look amazing! That's what drew my eye to it at the store! I hope it tastes as good as it looks! If I recall, I think it cost about $7
This pecan pie looks great, this is something I like.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
I love pecan pie too! This was a southern pecan pie, which I don't know if it's different from other types of pecan pies. I imagine it must be a little sweeter. It's seems like anything that is "southern" is either fried or sweetened. And the pie certainly wasn't fried, so it must have been made a little more sweeter than normal pecan pies! haha
@moffittjc If the southern is sweeter, I surely prefer the northern pecan pie. It's the same rule in Italy, everything from south of Italy is sweeter, but not fried at least.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
@LadyDuck I don't think I've ever had a pecan pie from the northern part of the US, so I'm not sure what the difference is in taste.
I hope they like that for sure. I never heard of that for thanksgiving. I thought it was New years. Maybe I am wrong.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
That is true...black-eyed peas are a southern tradition on New Years Eve. But that doesn't mean we can't enjoy them year-round! In addition to the meats, we'll have quite a selection of vegetables at our feast at work!
No, no party for myself. As JJ said it would b weird, someone would have me committed.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
I'll be at work for Thanksgiving. I'm buying breakfast for the manager that I will be working with that day.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
Well I'll be thinking about you while I'm stuffing my face with turkey! lol
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
@moffittjc oh I will stuff my face. Just after work
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
@thislittlepennyearns Don't eat too much, you want to make sure you keep that nice girlish figure!
@bluesa (12837)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Pecan pie, anytime, yummy! Pumpkin pie, not so much, like not ever. I don't eat pumpkin at all. How could no one sign up to bring dessert thank goodness you thought of it! I hope you'll have a wonderful time @moffittjc !
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
We did have another guy bring some peach cobbler, so someone else besides me brought a dessert! And I can't believe you don't like pumpkin pie! It's like my favorite pie ever! But I guess I will forgive you, because at least you like pecan pie!
@bluesa (12837)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@moffittjc I love pecan pie with vanilla ice cream! Sorry, I can't stand pumpkin anything, A teacher at kindergarten put me off pumpkin for life!
@bluesa (12837)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@moffittjc thank you for the warning! I will never forget how horrific that pumpkin she tried to force feed us was! It was just boiled up in water
@Dyvette16 (1361)
• San Antonio, Texas
The pie looks so good ! My favorite is pecan pie . I have a luncheon at my work as well
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
I hope you enjoy your luncheon! Pecan pie is certainly a favorite of many people!
@Dyvette16 (1361)
• San Antonio, Texas
@moffittjc thank you
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Dyvette16 Your welcome! How was your luncheon at work? We had another luncheon again today at work, but this time it was catered instead of being a potluck.
@bunnybon7 (33091)
• Holiday, Florida
sometimes daughter does and when I worked, I usually did but mostly had them at church really. wish I could be there. you are bringing all the good stuff. lol
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
We had another luncheon today (this one was a surprise by the head bosses), and they ordered a magnificent honey-glazed ham!
@bunnybon7 (33091)
• Holiday, Florida
@gibocam (347)
That's great! Sounds fun! I wish we have that too in our office.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
You can always start a potluck luncheon in your office! Just set a date and time and tell everyone you work with to bring a dish of food to eat!
@gibocam (347)
@moffittjc I'll think about it. I doubt they will spend some of their extras without any occasion. But with events like thanksgiving, I think they'll do. I'll try it out. Thanks!
The last 3 years that I've worked at my previous company, we'd all chip in $10 bucks for catering food. The pie looks delicious :) Blacked eyed peas sounds interesting.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
The luncheon today was at the Home Depot job, but when we do our Thanksgiving luncheon at my other job, they cater everything and we don't have to chip in. We just have to show up and eat! lol
@moffittjc Ohhhh I see! I forgot about the Home Depot. :) Christmas was catered and we don't have to pay. But other holidays that we do chip in we get a long lunch paid.
These sound awesome. We have a lot of potlucks too but I dont always participate haha
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
I was off work today, but I heard through the grapevine that the managers were catering lunch for the employees who were working today, so I casually showed up to work right around the same time as the catered meal was being delivered to the office! I'm never one to turn down a free meal! And they were smart...yesterday we had a turkey potluck luncheon, so today they ordered a honey glazed ham as the main course!
@UncleJoe (8551)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I'm with @1creekgirl I'm dying to know what gives BEP an extra kick.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
See my response to her comment. I mentioned some of the ingredients. Don't want to give it all away, it's a secret family recipe! haha
@MarymargII (8368)
• Toronto, Ontario
Whoa that black-eyed pea dish sounds like a real Southern dish and I'd love to know what's in it. The pumpkin and pecan pies are two of my favourite desserts too. I may just drop in to have a slice---ha!
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
You're always welcome to stop by for some food! The black-eyed peas were made with bacon fat, pork stock, jalapeƱos, red and green bell peppers, tomatoes, and several herbs and spices.
• Toronto, Ontario
@moffittjc Sounds delicious! Okay save me a bowl! ha!
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
@MarymargII I will do better than that! I will prepare you a fresh bowl!
Hope it was a good luncheon
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
It was really fun! We have a good group of people at work, and we all have so much fun joking around with each other!
@moffittjc thats awesome I'm glad.
@moffittjc thats close call.. lol
@Srbageldog (5489)
I'm self-employed, so no potlucks for me.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
So anytime you cook dinner you are essentially having a company potluck! hahaha
@moffittjc Haha, that's right!