My writing group effort

Bunbury, Australia
I belong to a writing group. Of course, I couldn’t attend while we were overseas but I haven’t been since I returned either. Since joining myLot, I do very little writing of fiction or any other sort. I can’t seem to get motivated. However I’d quite like to go to the Christmas wind-up in a few weeks and feel I can’t just turn up for that if I haven’t been going regularly. So this afternoon I’ll be off to the local library to meet with the rest. The homework from last time was to take a piece of writing and rewrite it without using ‘the’ or ‘a’. I’ve used a piece I wrote some time ago. I suppose it’s a good exercise but I don’t think my story flows as well as the original. Some of you will have read it before but for what it’s worth I’ll include it here. BRIGHT LIGHTS Sally was filled with fear. Darkness, oppressively quiet, made her heart flail against her chest as small birds, desperate to escape, might beat their wings against aviary bars. Her breath came in short bursts that rasped their way out of her dry throat. She remembered her mother’s words: ‘Trust me, darling. Go towards that light. Grandma and Pop will be watching for you. Truly, they’ll be waiting to see you. Just go towards that light. You’ll be just fine.’ She saw again tears and tremulous smiles on her parents’ faces, as they whispered ‘you are so beautiful, precious child’. She remembered her father’s farewell, his strong arms holding her tenderly. She could still feel his lips kissing her hair. And now she was on her own – just waiting. It was so sombre and silent. Even after all she had been through, Sally was no longer sure she was ready. She tried to breathe deeply and suddenly became aware of insistent humming which forced its way into her consciousness. Soft, gentle music gave way to vibrant, pulsing rhythms. Trumpets suddenly blared and cymbals clashed. Velvet curtains swished open and, looking glamorous and radiant, Sally sashayed through catwalk footlights to thunderous applause. Do you belong to a group but go to meetings somewhat reluctantly?
@valmnz (13137)
• New Zealand
That is very good. I haven't read your first piece, but you've managed excellent flow here. Removing those two little words definitely gives it strength. I love my writing groups and seldom go reluctantly. Just out of interest, I've just edited this comment, removing all "the' and 'a' words. Makes for tight writing, doesn't it!
It can be very tricky, can't it? Certainly it makes for tight writing but it doesn't always improve it. I always enjoy the group when I get there but I don't seem to have much inspiration lately.
Oh my. You did a fine job on this one!!! I was really becoming quite sad until.......!! I am not a fan of scheduled meetings, but I have belonged to a few groups that had me going to regular meetings more than reluctantly.
I'm glad you were heading down the wrong path. That was the intention but it got a bit tricky without 'the' and 'a'.
@cahaya1983 (9415)
Beautiful piece, Judy! I joined a few groups on Facebook but that's about it. I think there's a writing group here too but it's not very close to where I live so not very convenient for me to go regularly.
Thanks. I've entered a few online competitions from time to time. I should really research what's available now. Perhaps I'd get some inspiration again.
Well done - very descriptive .
Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it.
Wow, good job. I like stories that change toward the end and redirect you to the real truth going on.
Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
You are very good!
Thanks. This one is in an anthology and I actually won some money with it - in its original form.
@KristenH (20356)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Great effort Judy. Yes I do. Not reluctantly though. I go once a month, every 2nd Tuesday. I've been there for a few years.
I think I'm just lazy and I don't seem to have any inspiration lately.
@ilocosboy (33256)
I can relate to that. I also write fiction but as of now, no motivation so far.
Sometimes it is hard to get inspired.
@ilocosboy (33256)
When I was younger I'm so inspired to write many stories, as I grow older my motivation is subsiding.
@ilocosboy Perhaps you are much busier now with other things.
@1hopefulman (20212)
Nice, creative piece! The only writing I do these days is on myLot. I do belong to a religious group that meets twice a week and I go there rain or shine. It is the highlight of the week.
It is nice to have contact with a like-minded group of people.
@1hopefulman (20212)
@JudyEv Birds of a feather, stick together?
@1hopefulman Something like that I guess.
@dpk262006 (54647)
Very nicely written. I enjoyed reading it. I have not joined any writing group. I just share my thoughts on mylot.
Thanks. And it's a good site for doing that, isn't it?
@dpk262006 (54647)
@JudyEv Yes, mylot is best site to hone our writing skills and to express ourselves. The best thing is we get reactions for our posts/comments, which help us discover ourselves in a better way.
@LoriAMoore (9949)
I have an online friend in Chicago, Illinois (USA) who writes flash fiction. I didn't know what it was until he explained it to me. Good job!
Thanks. I'm glad you like it. I like writing a 150-word story then paring it down and down to, say, 100 words.
@Platespinner (18472)
Re-writing without a or the sounds a little daunting to me! Nice job!
I thought it was a bit of a cheat to use 'that' but I couldn't work out any other way to do it.
Great piece of writing! Are you published anywhere?
I have a couple of short stories in anthologies and have won a few prizes in online competitions. And a friend and I wrote a couple of one-act plays that were performed locally.
I never go to any meetings. You should only go back if it is something that you are going to enjoy doing.
That's true but I'm getting so I don't go anywhere much although it probably doesn't sound like that from my posts.
@acelawrites (10750)
Such a nice way to practice writing! You did it well!
Thank you. I like writing short pieces with a twist at the end.
• Portland, Connecticut
I do remember this because as I am sure you intended, I thought she was dying but not of fright lol Well done.
Thanks.
No, I've never been to anything like that. Sounds kind of fun.
It is good fun. I've just got a bit lazy lately and I have to make an effort to go out.
• Rochester, New York
There is a group here, but I'm too self conscious to have my work critiqued.
Mostly we read out our work but it isn't really critiqued unless you specifically ask for it.
This is a great job you have done without those two words that think no end of themselves (lol) We do not have any such groups here and in fact I hardly have anyone around who shares any of my interests
@coltbiz (65)
Hey Judy, I enjoyed reading this, Love your use of sensory words. I've never been good at painting a picture in my writing. I recently started an FB group where writers can gather and practice writing sensory words. If anyone is interested, look up sensory words exercise and join. It's an open group. Just started a couple weeks ago. it sure is helping me. Anyway, Judy, you have talent as a writer. Keep up the good work.