Crisis Averted! Almost Burned the Pot Roast!

Little Miss and her Mom took a nap after we had our lunch. Both were tired from all of the walking we did today. I started the pot roast I had bought earlier in the week. After searing the outside I placed it in the pot with plenty of water and a package of onion soup mix. As soon as the water began to boil I turned it down and let it cook. The mistake I made was to plunk my tired old butt into my favorite comfy chair. Yup, I fell asleep too. I woke with a start and thought I smelled a smoky aroma. Not a good thing to smell when you have something on the stove. I jumped up and ran to the kitchen. Took the cover off the pot and yes, the bottom was black. Thankfully it was only the onions from the soup mix and not the roast. I took it from the burner just in time. Now it is on the stove, on low, simmering with onions, carrots, and beef broth. I'll add the potatoes soon. Ever had a close call where you almost ruined dinner?
The chicken I made for Thanksgiving was too heavy for the foil pan. So it must have leaked, I just happened to check on it and smoke was coming from where the margarine was hitting the bottom of the stove. The smoke detector went off.
Butter and a hot oven are a fodder for a smokefest.
Oh dear! I've had some close calls and some worse disasters when the pot and all had to be thrown out, I'm glad you rescued yours in time.
My boys burned bacon to a crisp and they tossed the pan into a snowbank from up on the second floor deck. It sunk into the snow and I didn't find it until spring. LOL. That was about 20 years ago. I managed to somehow save the pan and still have it today.
@ElusiveButterfly I have filled a pan with sand and left it outside for some months then resurrected it.
@JudyEv never thought to do that!
I've burned the bottom of cinnamon rolls, and French bread pizza before but not any meats.
I shouldn't have gotten so comfortable in my chair. I could feel myself slipping into slumber and couldn't help but fall asleep.
@ElusiveButterfly Sounds like a very comfy chair! We've been wanting to get a few chairs but no money to do so.. maybe one day
@Courtlynn I want to get a recliner for my own use. Keep bugging the hubby for one. We really don't have the funds for it just yet. Keep telling him that I would like to put my feet up after a long day at work. I'd probably fall asleep! LOL
I've ruined many dinners. Story of my life. At least you saved yours in the knick of time!
My husband of course complained that it was a bit overcooked. I told him that if the Peanut Gallery didn't like the way the meal was cooked that they could always take over cooking duties. "Silence!"
@ElusiveButterfly Smart!!! lol
@DianneN he knows I mean business. Just because I make a not so good meal doesn't mean that I am not a good cook. He never tells me when a meal is well made and that he enjoyed it. One meal that is a little off will get negative comments.
I burned a pizza before when I feel asleep. It was beyond saving. I woke up when the fire alarm starting going off.
I have a sensitive sense of smell. Fortunately I have saved many a tray of cookies and baked goods before they were beyond saving. Pizza is hard to save once it has turned to a hockey puck.
@ElusiveButterfly yes it is and so expensive to make with all the toppings.
@Platespinner (16533)
I've had MANY close calls, and in the process have discovered that some foods are actually improved by a slight, smoky flavour.
Pea soup is good with a slight smoky flavor. Live and learn. LOL.
So glad you woke up when you did!!! Just in the nick of time!! My husband is the cook and the baker, and he often forgets about the white bread he is baking. I do not eat white bread, thank goodness.
I have scorched bread and biscuits. At least you can cut the bottom off the breads.
I ,a sureI ust ghave but its been too ng ago to remember
At least you don't have to worry about that anymore Patsie!
I got busy myLotting several months ago and forgot I was cooking...I didn't remember until I smelled it and it was too late
Charcoal flavored food isn't very tasty.
Happened to me far too many times.
Many times.
At least you saved the meat, the only thing I burn time by time is bread. I take it out of the freezer, put in the oven and forget about it until I feel the smell.
I have burned bread and rolls a few times. I have learned to set the timer, but then when it goes off, I often leave them in the oven too long and then have to contend with a too brown or burned bottom crust.
@ElusiveButterfly It usually happens to me in summer, I set the timer and I go outside in the garden.
@LadyDuck oh yeah, that will do it. Get involved in an outdoor activity and everything else is forgotten.
@kobesbuddy (40736)
• East Tawas, Michigan
One time, Jay put ham hocks on to boil, in plenty of water. My mother called, letting us know that Uncle Bill had unexpectedly stopped by their house and we need to come see him.Without thinking, we went over there for about an hour. Little did I realize, Jay had left those ham hocks on high heat! When we got home, they were like two black pieces of charcoal, in the bottom of the pan:( The house was filled with gray smoke!
Oh wow! I hope that you were able to clear the smoke from your home in short time.
@kobesbuddy (40736)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@ElusiveButterfly It was warmer weather, so we just opened all the doors and windows.
@kobesbuddy It wasn't too bad outside yesterday. However, when the sun goes down it gets a bit chilly in these parts!
@TheSojourner (17479)
There have been times where it was not almost but I did it!
I guess we all have our moments. I just need to stay on my feet. Lately I can nod off at the drop of a hand. Chalk it up to stress!
@ElusiveButterfly it's important even for 15 minutes a day to take time for yourself where you're not the one responsible. If someone comes home and can give you 15 minutes where you get to walk outside fresh air for 15 minutes without your phone anything go walk. That will change things or if you can do that with meditation somehow
@CoralLevang I wish that could happen. Occasionally I will get help from the peanut gallery when I am busy making dinner and Little Miss overly curious about what I am doing. He will occupy her to keep her out from under my feet.
Yes, last week. My problem is that I plunk myself in this chair and begin working, whether it's here on myLot or writing on a novel. If it's a novel, I won't be coming up for air for quite a while. I just had the thought I better check on my stew, and sure enough, it was burnt to the bottom. However, the rest of it was still good.
I have had to turn down the heat on a few of my dishes before they scorched. Finding that happy place with the burner can be a challenge sometimes. Even more challenging when you get involved with something that you enjoy doing and forget about what is on the stove!
@just4him I turned my fan on as well, and was glad I did. When I lifted the lid the smoke poured out. I replaced the lid and grabbed a plate to put the roast on. It came right out of the pan without a problem. The only thing that burned was the onion. I put water and dish liquid in the pot and let it soak. Took a chore boy and a bit of elbow grease to get the junk out of the pan.
@ElusiveButterfly I know what you mean. I did some scrubbing too to get it all out of the bottom, plus the immediate soak.
@kobesbuddy (40736)
• East Tawas, Michigan
One time my daughter burnt sugar cookies, black on the bottom. She threw them out in the yard and no animals would even touch them! LOL
Better to put them in the burn bin for charcoal!
@kobesbuddy (40736)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@ElusiveButterfly LOL They weren't good for anything else!:)
@dodoazo (17329)
My wife had experienced that situation several times. It's my wife's to always watch her favorite TV series. When the show or the scene is getting intense she was carried away and she got ti her feet when something smells terrible.
I have done that while watching a program as well.
@bluesa (13430)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
That sounds so delicious! I am happy it didn't burn! Yes, I have had a few moments like that.
I guess I need to stay on my feet when I am cooking.