Christmas is too materialistic!

@DeenaD (2688)
Do you agree that too much emphasis is placed on gifts, and not enough on Christ?
@skittlez353 (1404)
i agree with you so much on this one. I`m not Jehovah`s Witness or anything but it`s ridiculous how much they put into Christmas with the trees and the overload of presents. They change the whole representation of Jesus Christ.
@Trixy99 (194)
I think the emphasis on "What am I going to get" is too much. I perfer to think and have my kids think "What am I going to give" and not to people who need more stuff either. The idea of Jesus having to be born in a manger in a stable is what I dwell on. No child should be without. So we try to do something for those who have a need. I live in an area where it snows a lot and I hate the thought of people going so far out of their way to go visiting or buying a bunch of usless gifts. It scares the daylights out of me that someone will have a wreck and perish at Christmas. So many people line up for that one special gift and will go through hazardous storms and road conditions to get a stupid toy. They dont think what kind of a Christmas their kid will have if they die on the road getting that stupid present. And what happens to that toy in a day or two anyway. It just ends up in the collection of other stuff.
@Stiletto (4584)
I have no religious beliefs so Christmas is really just a holiday in my home. I do think though that the amount people spend at Christmas is ridiculous. Christmas is more a celebration of consumerism than anything else nowadays.
@crixti (223)
I agree with you. But is this considered a sin in front of the people? Of course not. They do not know what God is..
Far too materialistic.
Yes. The giving of gifts was meant to be symbolic of the fact that God gave the world a gift with the birth of the Christ child who would one day be sacrificed for the sins of the world. The three wise men brought gifts to the manger to honor and worship the newborn king. That is why on Christmas we give gifts. We give them to honor those we love. However, it has gotten out of control. You had to figure that someone would figure a way to get rich off of this event. I think that it should be emphasized that it is not the gift or the price that is important. Some of the best gifts are ones not bought in a store. I think that especially when dealing with children that they should understand the reason why we give gifts.
nope, i think its perfectly fine the way it is
@ccoriel (571)
its sad yes, christmas is regarded as merely occassion where everyone have to receive gifts. we almost forgot the real reason why we have christmas. we just take it for granted.
@jhannon (1410)
I agree.Its supposed to be more religious..I love all that christmas is about..Its a very loving time of the year..
@ssh123 (31100)
When there is elephants parade, it the grass that suffers.
I believe christmas should be for family. I just love all of the decorating,and the tree etc. My daughter knows why we celebrate Christmas. I don't wait till Dec to lay this out. I shop starting August every year. I hit the clearance sales first. I give all of my daughters friend toys. Many others get gifts cards. I play the games in the stores and place them in the post office for the donations. I don't cook so I don't stress this part. Christmas has been so blown out for years now. I hear all about how people stand in long lines for a $300.00 something. I know people who put their bills second to shopping. I only spend cash for christmas. Way to many issues. My daughter reads her bible and goes to church with friends.
Yes, Christmas should be about private celebration of Jesus's birth only.
Yep, agree whole heartidly, i see christmas commercials in October! before holloween even happens. Its rediculus