The year we rode 170 miles on horseback

Bunbury, Australia
I have been going through some old photos and came across this one which I thought you might enjoy. When I was 22 my cousin and I rode our ponies from Albany on the south coast of Western Australia to our home town of Narrogin, a distance of 170 miles. Walkathons were just becoming popular but this was a ride-a-thon. I had a group of 17 children who wanted to learn to play brass instruments with a view to joining the brass band. The band didn’t have enough instruments for them all so I came up with the idea of doing the ride. Townsfolk sponsored us for so much a mile. We were able to buy three new instruments with the money raised. Although it was the middle of summer we rode in the early morning and we really enjoyed most of it. We only did 20 miles a days so it wasn’t like it was a huge endurance test. For all that, we look a bit tired and sunburnt, don’t you think? From left to right is Black Magic, me, Vivienne and Feriel.
@averygirl72 (14074)
The photo is old what year is that? Your good in horseback riding
It would have been 1968. I always had a horse or pony and rode a lot.
@JudyEv at what age did you learn to ride?
@hereandthere I was probably about five or six. Here is the first horse that I was able to ride by myself. Her name was Trixie.
oh your brave. I am so in love with horses/ponies but nothing on earth could get me on one. I can't imagine anything at all.
They are big animals but once you get used to their size they are not hard to deal with.
@JudyEv I will leave that enjoyment to you. I don't want any of it.I like them on tv. LOl.
That was a nice way for you to raise money.
It wasn't much of a hardship really and I got paid for it so that was good.
@tzwrites (3814)
That is a great experience to have. Most people never have the chance to do that.
I've been very blessed in many ways and have had some great experiences through my life.
Love the picture and that must have been quite the journey.
Mostly it was a lot of fun.
@louievill (16341)
That was an awesome feat, you really looked sunburnt, did you camp out at nights?
My Mum would only let me go if I found places to stay at night so we stayed at farm houses along the way.
The endurance of youth!
Twenty miles a day isn't really a big deal if you've worked up to it.
That is so cool that you took such a long trip on horseback and raised money for your town. You look a little tired but happy.
For some reason, we chose the hottest part of our year. I'm not sure now why that was.
@JudyEv When we're young we don't make the greatest decisions.
@misunderstood_zombie There must have been a reason though because our parents would have had a say in when we went.
@Platespinner (18563)
Was it just the four of you? Had you made arrangements for each night's stop ahead of time?
Yes, we had arranged to stay at various farm-houses along the way. It was just the four of us - a great way to spend ten days.
@JudyEv That does sound like an epic trip for a couple of friends!
@Platespinner It is a very special memory. Right there up the top of the memory tree.
• Denmark
It's nice that you mention also the horses' names. I guess they've been in horse heaven for some time.
Yes, they have indeed. My pony was bred on our farm and we shared a great many good times. He was very special to me.
@JudyEv why did you choose black magic as his name?
@hereandthere I'm not sure really except that he was black.
Wow! That seems like quite the adventure!
I have very happy memories of the trip.
@Fleura (6225)
What a great idea, instruments are shockingly expensive and it's a shame if people don't get a chance to learn. That must have been quite an adventure - how did you find places for you and your horses to stay each night?
We drove the route by car and stopped at various farm-houses to ask if they could put us up. Mostly we followed the railway line which kept us off the bitumen roads. There was a dirt track alongside the railway track.
@Fleura (6225)
@JudyEv That was well planned, did you meet some nice people on the way?
@Fleura Apart from the people we stayed with, we didn't meet many people at all. We mostly rode on a dirt track along the railway line so we didn't have to be deal with traffic all the time.
@ilocosboy (33294)
Surely that was a great adventure in your life.
It was indeed and I'm really happy that I have a few photos from those days.
@ilocosboy (33294)
if only digital photography is available at that time.
@ilocosboy That would have been good wouldn't it? I only have a couple of photos from that ride.
What a great snapshot! I like riding a horse but there is a limited chance for me.
I was very lucky to have horses in my life for many, many years.
@gilggg (2688)
• Israel
Wow, it sounds like an adventure in the Wild West Australia, I hope it does not hurt in the pelvic area after riding so long ...
I used to ride a lot in those days so I was used to it.
@gilggg (2688)
• Israel
Wow...you must have been very saddle sore. I went on an hour long ride one time..and discovered muscles I didn't know I had!
I was used to spending long hours in the saddle so it didn't bother me much.
@shivamani10 (10759)
• Hyderabad, India
The picture is very nice. I liked Feriel. This is good. You are quite cute there in the picture.
Thank you. I look a bit sunburnt but it was summer when we rode and the sun was very hot some days.
• Austin, Texas
Great pic! Horse riding is just a dream for me. I have a memory of riding a pony when I was a young child. My mom took me someplace where they gave pony rides. It's a nice memory. But I've never bee brave enough to get on a horse if you must know the truth. I love them. They are magnificent creatures. But since I don't know how to ride one, I'd probably break my neck. I'll have fun watching others horseback riding.
They are noble creatures, aren't they? And some are breathtakingly beautiful.
• Austin, Texas
@JudyEv - You just inspired yet another childhood memory. Ever see the movie "National Velvet" starring Elizabeth Taylor (when she was a young girl)? That movie could make anybody fall in with horses.
Directed by Clarence Brown. With Mickey Rooney, Elizabeth Taylor, Donald Crisp, Anne Revere. A jaded former jockey helps a young girl prepare a wild but gifted horse for England's Grand National Sweepstakes.
@cmoneyspinner As a matter-of-fact, I watched the film not so long ago. It is a classic, isn't it?
@Raelove (15547)
• Saco, Maine
Well, just look at you, the magic of photography having erased how many years from your life? Seems like your whole life's been an adventure, so nothing much has changed, huh?
Perhaps I've just picked out the highlights to share. Vince remarked that I haven't changed at all and my school friends say much the same. Maybe I have good genes or something.
@Raelove (15547)
• Saco, Maine
@JudyEv You just look like such a happy person, in love with life. It showed then. It shows now.
@Raelove Thank you! That's a lovely thing to say.
@YrNemo (8633)
You two looked so cute there. (Was there anyone else (male, big) going along to protect you?)
It was just the two of us. In those days we were perfectly safe.
@YrNemo (8633)
@JudyEv wow. Almost like young people these days traveling as backpackers.
@YrNemo Yes, pretty much I guess - but no-one would have wanted to pick up the horses!