A to Z on…

@sishy7 (27180)
Australia
# 96 A – AUSTRALIA: the name Australia originally comes from the latin terra australis incognita meaning "unknown southern land". B – Barbie: not the doll but the favorite pastime or BBQ. C – Cricket: one of the most popular sports in Australia. D – Dingo: a feral dog which is quite common in Australia. E – Emu: one of the animals that become a symbol of Australia. F – Fishing: another favorite pastime. G – Great Barrier Reef: the largest coral reef system in the world. H – Hamilton Island: a favorite tourist destination near the Great Barrier Reef. I – Indigenous Australians: the original inhabitants of the Australian continent. J – Jellyfish: one of the many deadly creatures in Australian waters. K – Kangaroo: one of the official symbols of Australia. L – Lamingtons: an Australian cake, made from squares of sponge cake coated in an outer layer of chocolate sauce and rolled in desiccated coconut. M – Melbourne: the capital city of an Australian state of Victoria and second-most populous city in Australia after Sydney. N – New South Wales: a state on the east coast of Australia with Sydney as its capital city. O – Opera House: located in Sydney, it is one of the most well-known buildings in the world. P – Phillip Island: just a short trip from Melbourne, it is another popular tourist destination which is also home of well-known circuit for MotoGP and F1 racing. Q – Qantas: Australia’s official airline. R – Red back spider: highly venomous spider native to Australia. S – South Australia: a state in the southern central part of Australia known for its extreme wilderness. The red back spider is believed to be originated from SA. T – Thongs: not the underwear but the footwear or, specifically, flip-flops. U – Ute: Australian term for utility vehicle like a pick-up truck. V – Vegemite: Australian food spread made from leftover brewers' yeast extract with various vegetable and spice additives. W – Western Australia: a state covering the entire western third of the country with Perth as its capital city. X – Xmas: it falls in the middle of summer and it is common for Australians to celebrate it at the beach. Y – Yulara: an isolated town in the Southern Region of the Northern Territory, Australia. Z – Zebra rock: a distinctive reddish-brown and white-banded sedimentary rock from the east Kimberley of Western Australia. Hope you enjoy the little tour down under…
I have been to Australia, but will never try their kangaroo pizza.
what did you like when you were there?
@hereandthere The people were incredible, and the scenery was majestic.
@sishy7 (27180)
@AmbiePam I did try a bite of kangaroo steak and that was it...
Well done. I think you've chosen very appropriate facts.
@sishy7 (27180)
Aww, you knew all of these plus much, much more, I'm sure...
@sishy7 These are still good basic facts.
Great A-Z list! I knew quite a few of those facts, but you left out your poisonous snakes and jumping spiders that terrify me!!!!
@sishy7 (27180)
Yeah, I was going to do B for brown snakes but changed it to barbie instead.
I thought this was going to be A-Z all about sishy7 . But I love this too! A lot of my Australian "knowledge" came from The Wiggles when my kids used to watch them. Ohhhh, I hope you will write more about "Lamingtons" sometimes - I've never heard of that one !
and which wiggle (color) did you like?
@hereandthere .. . Oh, that's a tough one! My very favorite was actually not a Wiggle, but a pirate - Captain Feathersword . But if it must be a Wiggle, I loved Anthony's (blue) forever enthusiasm . . . and of course let's not forget Jeff (purple) - the one who always fell asleep (I would love to have his job ).
@sishy7 (27180)
They're a typical bakery item down here just like meat pies. Oh, did you hear about that ESPN reporter (Darren Rovell) who tried eating a meat pie at an NBA game and nearly caused a US vs Australia war?
@Fleura (6159)
Well what can I say, you found something notable for every letter.
@sishy7 (27180)
Thank you. Some letters are harder than the others...
i agree. it's a great idea.
Very interesting. Thank you for sharing this.
@sishy7 (27180)
No worries... Thank you for stopping by. Did you learn something new from any of the letters by any chance?
@miketagz (1344)
The biggest egg in Australia was Emu. Its equivalent up to 8 chicken eggs.
@sishy7 (27180)
You got it! Thanks for that additional fact!
i'm imagining how big the emu yolk is
@sishy7 (27180)
@hereandthere I've never seen one... Would probably make a huge omelette...
@Shiva49 (9510)
Nice to learn about the "Lucky Country". Been there thrice - first visit to Gold Coast, Sydney, Canberra Second to Melbourne and third to WA. I was called to the stage to act out sort of a play at the Gold Coast. I was among the hundreds but I couldn't refuse. I did my best though I couldn't understand some parts due to your unique accent! siva
@sishy7 (27180)
Oh, you've been to most states especially on the east coast... What's left are just NT, SA and Tasmania...
@Shiva49 (9510)
@sishy7 I do not know whether I can make another visit to Australia. Anyway if I get a chance, why not? siva
That's awesome, it's always good to know how some words that mean one thing here is totally different there. And boy am I glad there are no red backed spiders here
@sishy7 (27180)
I believe they discovered an effective anti-venom for them though, thankfully.
I sure hope so @sishy7 of course here they probably don't, I just hope they haven't been introduced into the Americas.
@LoriAMoore (9949)
Thank you for this wonderful Australian tour. I've been to Sydney, Brisbane,and Darwin.
@sishy7 (27180)
You're welcome. Maybe your next visit could include Western Australia which offer plenty of amazing sites and landscapes...
So much wonderful information you have provided her. I sure would like to try Lamingtons, and I might give Vegemite a try.
@sishy7 (27180)
I can't get used to Vegemite but Lamingtons are delicious...
@sol_cee (13566)
• Japan
L for me please!
i love timtam, but fantasize about the pavlova.
@sishy7 (27180)
I'll have to make them someday and share them here...
@sishy7 well, then can you do the caramel slice and the jelly slice shown here too?
Australia's culinary love affair with desserts is much more than pavlova and lamingtons. Discover the sugary, delicious foods you are missing out on!
• Marion, Kansas
Now I have learned a few more things, but keep those spiders to yourself.
@sishy7 (27180)
They originated from one state (SA) but I think now they can be found all over Australia...
@hereandthere (24029)
yeah, christmas down under means barbie and beach. the only ones that's new to me are yulara and zebra rock, speaking of which, why not the massive red rock uluru for u? by the way, just how do you pronounce ute?
@sishy7 (27180)
I posted about zebra rock on Bubblews - I'll probably do another write up on here one day, it's very interesting... It's pronounced just like when you say 'utility' without the -ility...
Very cool. I learned a lot from this post that I never knew!!
@sishy7 (27180)
Thanks! Glad there's something new to learn from this post.
@pgntwo (21696)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Thongs, not the down-under variety...
@sishy7 (27180)
No... Havaianas has a massive range of varieties and it's a must-have item for all the Aussie kids, men, and women.
@sishy7 how about crocs?
@sishy7 (27180)
@hereandthere Yes, it's a popular brand as well... But their thongs are a bit fancier and pricier than the ones people usually wear to the beach... Crocs are definitely comfortable for walking around all day though...
I didn't know any of this except X.
@sishy7 (27180)
I hope you enjoy learning a bit about Australia from this post...
@sishy7 Thanx to you, I now know lot more thanmy friends. I will show off.
@sishy7 (27180)
@hazydaiscrazy You're so funny! Make sure you get your facts right when you show them off...
@kavinitu (848)
Because of your post, I thought I had come to Australia
@sishy7 (27180)
Glad I could bring you down here...
@kavinitu (848)
@sishy7 Hope to see you someday
@DaddyEvil (22310)
Very nice, sishy! Have you ever read any of the books written by Sir Terry Pratchett? He wrote one book titled "The Last Continent". If you haven't read this book, may I suggest you take it for a spin? You never know, you might think you recognize the place and the people the book could be, but isn't, based on. In his book, Sir Terry Pratchett describes some... uncommon? (Yes, I think that word works for this!) creatures/things, like "drop bears", "cork hats" and the "Peach Melba". (He is a pretty funny author!) The name of that continent is Xxxx!
@sishy7 (27180)
4-letter continent? Asia? Of, I'll just have to read the book, right?
@DaddyEvil (22310)
@sishy7 Hmmm... the continent referred to in the book as Xxxx MIGHT resemble some aspects of Australia, but might not to someone who actually grew up and lives there. To an American the way Pratchett described things seem to come across as very funny but eerily descriptive of some aspects we hear about here. If you want a link to the ebook by Sir Terry Pratchett, let me know. (I LOVE his books!)
• Austin, Texas
I can't believe it! Somebody who actually knows what thongs are! I said that word to my kids and they were like "What??" They didn't know thongs were shoes!
@sishy7 (27180)
Did they know them as the underwear kind?
• Austin, Texas
@sishy7 - Uuummm … LOL … yeah they did. It's why they were so confused when I kept using the word.