What Would Jesus Do?

Photo of my Bible; taken by author
Laguna Woods, California
This Christmas season, I find myself looking at our current politicians and the evangelicals who support them, and wonder "What Would Jesus Do?" There have been so many changes made in the past year, and many of them seem to hurt those who are the most vulnerable. Of course, this is not the first time I have asked myself this. A couple of years ago, I even wrote an Amazon book called, "What Would Jesus Tweet?" It consists of the words of Jesus, converted into Tweets, which people can copy and share online. All we know about what Jesus would do today comes from the sermons he gave and the stories he told during his ministry, which took place during a time when there was a great deal of political corruption, a few people with incredible wealth, and a large number of religious fanatics, who believed they were better than everyone else. Here are some of the things Jesus said were important to Him: Welcome of the foreigner; they are our neighbors (from the story of the Good Samaritan) Love thy neighbor as yourself Feed the hungry Heal the sick Visit those in prison Love our enemies Turn the other cheek Be a peacemaker Share everything we have (if you have two coats, give one away to someone who needs it) Be merciful It is harder for a rich man to get into the Kingdom of Heaven than for a camel to go through the eye of a needle (And, for those who want to talk about the "eye of a needle" being a gate into Jerusalem, there is absolutely NO evidence that is what Jesus "meant" to say. In fact, he is quoted as feeling sorry for a rich man who came to Jesus and, when told he needed to sell his worldly possessions and given the money to the poor, the man said he could not do it and left. Perhaps that is why Bill and Melinda Gates plan to leave very little to their children and give away nearly all their assets, both while they are alive as well as after they die.) So, what do you think about the actions of our politicians who claim to be Christians? Are they even trying to do what Jesus asks of them? What do you think Jesus would think about the things going on in our country today?
Does the Pope do what Jesus preached? I think the Vatican is the richest state in the world, do they share with the poor? Do they offer a place where to stay to the homeless? Do they share the food with those in need? Why should politicians be better than the Pope, Cardinals, Priests and so on?
@Bluedoll (16801)
I'm so confused here. I thought you wrote you didn't do religious or political posts? Don't get mad at me please. I am truly just confused. Was this a slip? You seem angry?
@Bluedoll I am, Italy has now million of refugees and immigrants, they asked the Vatican to accept some, because there are no more shelters where to host them. Well, the Vatican threw them out because "they are not a nice view for the tourists who visit". I am disgusted more than angry.
@Bluedoll (16801)
@LadyDuck Oh I understand. I agree with your viewpoint, thanks for sharing and think yes this might well be a greater problem in the world as we progress. If some future predictions are correct we will have more poor and displaced than anyone can handle. Doors will need to be opened or suffering will continue. Since the post was entitled what would Jesus do? If it is okay just want to add that governments, religious and the vatican are not Jesus and in many cases not affiliated.
@crossbones27 (15161)
• Redlands, California
Jesus is a liberal communist and we want capitalism. That is what they preach these days. Jesus would say screw this I am going home. These people are lost and even My Dad cannot save them. I make bad jokes
• Laguna Woods, California
@crossbones27 - Your jokes made me laugh. I have to agree that most American church members would call Jesus a liberal communist who should be avoided at all costs! They want capitalism and the preach the gospel of success.
• Redlands, California
@DeborahDiane Yes, gospel of success for them and not even close to what Jesus was preaching.
• Laguna Woods, California
@crossbones27 - You are right. The Gospel of Success is not even close to what Jesus preached.
@1hopefulman (20395)
When I look at the words of Jesus, I see that he tried to correct the religious leaders (Matthew 23) but he kept out of politics. He told Pontius Pilate that is kingdom was not of this world (John 18:36).
@Bluedoll (16801)
But he used the word "king - dom" so that the common person could have some understanding? God is not a power world dominating control freak?
• Laguna Woods, California
@1hopefulman - I agree that he tried to stay out of politics, but he did say what types of behaviors he expected of people who call themselves his followers. I cringe when I hear politicians say they are Christian, but then they do not want to act at all the way Christ wants them to act. Most of them do not even try to welcome refugees, care for the sick, feed the hungry or do anything else even remotely related to service. I think they should just stop saying they are Christian and admit they are greedy, selfish and are trying to take care of themselves, their families and their friends.
@1hopefulman (20395)
It's not what we say that counts with God but what we do. @DeborahDiane Matthew 7:21 (Easy-to-Read Version) 21 “Not everyone who calls me Lord will enter God’s kingdom. The only people who will enter are those who do what my Father in heaven wants.
@sallypup (22023)
• Moses Lake, Washington
I just read a super creepy Stephen King type account of a man who is determined to do well in the Republican party. Somebody looked into his past- oh what a devil!! He attacked a girl with a hammer when he was 17. Rich guy so he got off and changed his name. Oh what a horror. I hope they figure out how to boot him out of there.
• Laguna Woods, California
@sallypup - Yes, that is super creepy, sounds like a Stephen King novel and, sadly, appears to be true! Horrifying!!
What is this book called? And you said Steph King type of novel, does that mean it is written by another person? if so who? i would like to read it
• Laguna Woods, California
@Marty1 - I also wondered what the name of the book mentioned by @sallypup was. Hopefully, she will return and let us know!
Much food for thought here. And some of the worst swear they are good God-fearing people. In their dreams!
• Laguna Woods, California
@JudyEv - I agree completely. It seems to be that the worse they are, the more they insist that they are Christians. It makes me cringe when I hear them claim that they are Christian.
I am not a citizen of the US. But politicians is not a class that I would associate with religion.
@Bluedoll (16801)
Some Americans talk about what their country was founded on. The statue of Liberty for example is something that is religion based?
• Laguna Woods, California
@Bluedoll and @marguicha - The Republican Party in the U.S. insists that they are the party of Christians and they want to bring Christianity back into our government. However, they do not act all the way Jesus said his followers should act. So I find it hard to figure out exactly what they really stand for!
@DeborahDiane Politicians here in the UK sometimes claim that we're a Christian country, which is incorrect and only serves to cement the growing divides between cultures
I can't speak for Jesus my friend, but I pray he will guide them.
• Laguna Woods, California
@TRBRocks420 - I agree. I also pray that Jesus will guide these politicians. I don't see any that I would say really follow the teachings of Christ. I actually cringe when I hear some of them refer to themselves as Christians.
@DeborahDiane Same here his actions don't show it.
• Laguna Woods, California
@TRBRocks420 - I agree.
@Daelii (2133)
I think he'd be very disappointed in our current leaders. :(
• Laguna Woods, California
@Daelii - I agree. I think Jesus would be very disappointed in our current leaders.
@Bluedoll (16801)
I don't think Jesus Christ would be into politics Give to ceasar what is ceasar's and give to God what is God's I do think Jesus Christ is alive and well
• Laguna Woods, California
@Bluedoll - I don't think Jesus cared about government types, but he did care about the way his followers behaved. It bothers me when people say they are Christian and then do things that actually hurt the poor, the sick, the refugees, the weak and the vulnerable. They should just stop pretending to be Christian.
@Bluedoll (16801)
@DeborahDiane Don't think i don't agree with you on charity for yes I do agree. And it is good to speak up. . Jesus Christ Can we also consider "the true Christians" are the apostles, fishermen, the followers of Jesus in their time period. Everything after that time is just a title someone uses and like a stone is really only a thing. I truly believe Jesus in the here and the now and will hear the poor crying . Only Christians? He praised the woman by the well. Perhaps we (all) will use words to affect another's heart condition.
• Laguna Woods, California
@Bluedoll - Well, said! I also believe Jesus is in the here and now and hears the poor crying. I feel their pain, so I am sure Jesus does.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
I'm pretty sure Jesus wouldn't be too happy with what he saw going on in this country and around the world. But I think the messages he preached over 2000 years ago would be just as relevant today, so he'd probably speak the same words he spoke back then.
• Laguna Woods, California
@moffittjc - I agree completely! Jesus would be just as disappointed with people today as he was with those who lived 2000 years ago. Guess humans have not learned much for the past 2000 years.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
@DeborahDiane We sure are flawed creatures, aren't we?
• Laguna Woods, California
@moffittjc - Well said. Yes, we sure are flawed creatures. Sadly.
@josie_ (5176)
Jesus will join the Democratic party?
• Laguna Woods, California
@josie_ I think Jesus would expect anyone of either political party who claims to be a Christian to act like they actually care about the poor, the weak, the sick, the refugee and the vulnerable. If they don't try to help these groups, how can they say they are Christian?
@josie_ (5176)
@DeborahDiane _Politics and religion make strange bedfellows. Didn't Jesus said,"Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's; and to God the things that are God's."?
• Laguna Woods, California
@josie_ - Yes, he avoided politics. I just think that people in general, not just politicians, should try to follow Jesus if they claim to be a Christian. Otherwise, they should stop saying they are Christians and giving the rest of us a bad name.
• Eugene, Oregon
23h
There are too many phony Christians in the US, both those in office and those who support them. Maybe they heard of Jesus, but never got past the Old Testament.
• Laguna Woods, California
10h
@JamesHxstatic - I agree, and they give Christianity a bad name to non-believers and those of other faiths who cannot believe some Christians could support people like Trump. It is embarrassing!
• Eugene, Oregon
9h
@DeborahDiane Truly it is.
i agree especially the one about welcoming the foreigner. I am just sick about the ban on people from other countries and really about the stupid wall our president wants to build. Besides be un-Christian is silly, plain ridiculous and unrealistic
@DeborahDiane I had no idea that immigrants have been coming here by boat. The wall is also discriminatory too as he just wants to build a wall by the Mexican border Doesn't it stand to reason ( I am in no way suggesting we do this) that a wall should go up on the Canadian border too. I am sure Canada has at least one person the president would not want here for some stupid reason. there should be nothing that would prohibit people coming to our country. It would be best to become friends as we are all sisters and brothers on this planet
@averygirl72 (14122)
What would Jesus tweet? sounds like a good book. I know many leaders are not following exactly what Jesus is doing. Leaders have no leading from God
• Laguna Woods, California
@averygirl72 - I agree with you. Too many leaders around the world are not following the behaviors which Jesus expects of his followers.
@LilyBeBack (1705)
I'm not religious and I don't know what I think either way about the existence of Jesus but I like this post Your list reminded me of what I heard on a podcast about the phrase "turn the other cheek", I don't know if this is common knowledge and I'm the last one to the party, lol, but apparently the original meaning was to do with being treated as equals. Only one hand (I can't remember if it was the right or left) would be used to strike someone because the other hand was for other things (eating? Toilet stuff? I don't know, my details are even less than sketchy but the will to explain lives on) and if you were hitting someone who was an equal you would slap them, but a subordinate would get a back-hander. So say for example it was the left hand used, the back-hander would land on the left cheek of a servant, and the phrase relates to then presenting the right cheek so that the boss man has no option but to give a slap the same way they would do to an equal. I hope that somewhere in there my explanation came across, even though it's largely irrelevant to your point
• Laguna Woods, California
@LilyBeBack - That was very interesting. Yes, I believe that Jesus wanted us to treat others as our equals, as our friends, as our neighbors. Unfortunately, far too many people do not do this.