Ready To Celebrate St. Nick

Chocolate fashioned like the Bishop St. Nicholas - from Pixabay
Switzerland
Today, December 6th, is the feast of Saint Nicholas. In many parts of Europe, children receive gifts on this day. In some countries of north Europe, boys dress as bishops and walk the streets asking for donations to give to the poor. The figure of St. Nicholas is derived from the Bishop Nicholas of Myra (Greece), known for for his habit to donate to the poor by putting coins in their shoes, while they were sleeping. Following this legend, here in Switzerland, kids put their shoes outside the door the night of St. Nicholas, hoping to find some coins when they wake up in the morning. As per the local tradition, today I have put up my Christmas decorations. Tonight I will light the fireplace and we will have dinner enjoying the view of the burning logs. Do you put your clogs outside the door waiting for St. Nick?
When we lived in Germany we put our shoes out. It was a fun custom.
I know that in Germany and Poland is still a well known and celebrated tradition.
@LadyDuck yes, and it was fun learning and experiencing new things. I loved living in Germany
@Tampa_girl7 It is a beautiful country, I love their Christmas markets.
@Rollo1 (16725)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I like the tradition, though we don't have it here in the US. My daughter put up the tree last weekend, and I didn't want to interfere with her jolly spirit.
@Rollo1 well hello there stranger. It is so nice to see you
I have read that some communities in the United States celebrate the day, mainly Dutch and German communities. My little tree is ready. I do not decorate a lot.
@Rollo1 (16725)
• Boston, Massachusetts
@Tampa_girl7 Hi Marie. I am not going to say that I am trying to return, because then I always fail, but I hope to be around more.
@topffer (30691)
• France
He has not enough time to go in my area. He is celebrated only in Northern and Eastern France, I do not know if they put their shoes outdoors, as I never went there in December.
This evening I go out and check the two houses in our neighborhood where there are kids. I am curious to see if they put out their clogs.
@topffer (30691)
• France
@LadyDuck I have not a lot of use for clogs in my city, I would have to buy a pair. I hope the kids will do it, it is important to keep old traditions alive.
@topffer I am pretty sure the two of my closest neighbors will put them out. I fear they will be Crocks and not Clogs, but some things change over the years.
I've never heard of that custom. I never put my decorations up until the week before Christmas.
I did on the 6th. When I was a kid, in Italy we used to put up our decorations the 7th of December (Saint Ambroise) the Saint Patron of our city of Milan. The Christmas market started on that day and it is also La Scala Opera Theater opens its season on this day.
That is such a wonderful tradition. Mom used to do that too but in her case she'd put chocolates in our shoes. She always told us that if we were naughty we would only get switches. I'm not sure where she got her ideas from but I know that somewhere down her line were German immigrants, she was born in 1916.
In Germany St. Nicholas brings gifts to good boys and he goes around with a whip to hit those who were nasty.
Ohhh, ok @LadyDuck so what about the girls?
@rebelann I suppose girls get the same treatment.
• Preston, England
Never seen anyone put logs outside here @LadyDuck
I do not believe that this is celebrated in the UK, it's more a thing of Germany, The Netherlands, Romania, Poland.
• Preston, England
@LadyDuck we get chocolate logs - just a sponge cake covered in log shaped chocolate
@arthurchappell In France I prepared the chocolate log to serve for Christmas.
It sounds like a fun tradition. I only learned of it a few years ago, so was not something I ever celebrated. I know a lot of people do here as well.
I have read that some groups of European heritage celebrate St.Nick in the United States.
@LadyDuck I was told it was mostly among the Catholics. So I don't know, but it's celebrated here too.
@just4him I do not believe it is mostly among the Catholics, because in Europe is not celebrated in the Catholic country, but mainly in the Protestant countries like Austria, Germany, North of Switzerland and The Netherlands.
No I do not.We do not celebrate.St.Nick.
We had not this celebration in Italy, I discovered it when we moved to Switzerland.
@LadyDuck I heard a lot about it.Even ready the stories on St.Nick
@amadeo He was a good man who helped the poor people.
That's a beautiful tradition they in North Europe. I have a nephew born December 6. He should have been named Nicolas then with nickname of Nick. A very informative post you have. Another learned information about tradition from other countries.
This is a nice tradition that we did not celebrate in Italy, but I like to adopt the habits of the country where I live.
@ptrikha_2 (5787)
yes @SIMPLYD that is quite a lot of information.
@LadyDuck Then maybe you can , with your husband.
We donĀ“t have this holiday here but I think that it is beautiful. There are many things we do during Christmas yet not many people know why they do it. For instance, we all take away the tree on January 6th, but not many know that it has to do with the coming of the wise men.
We also remove the decoration on January 6th, in the evening, after we have celebrated the day of The Three Wise Men.
@LadyDuck When I was small, my father bought a branch of a real tree and its smell meant Christmas for me
@marguicha We used to buy a real tree when I was a kid. I remember that my father placed the tree (a big tree) in the formal dining room where we used to have the Christmas lunch and dinner. All the gifts were placed under the tree. Beautiful memories.
We don't do this in Australia although perhaps those emigrants for whom this was a custom in their home country might.
This is more celebrated in the north of Switzerland than in the south, but my closest neighbor is a northern, his kids never miss to put their clogs outside the door.
That is good too know.
I like to maintain old traditions, it is important for a country.
@1creekgirl (8767)
Here in rural NC, if I put my shoes on the porch, some wild animal or even my cat would take off with them!
I hope that Willy the cat will not steal the clogs of the kids.
@alberello75 (13179)
• Genova, Italy
Saint Nicholas is a Saint also written on Italian calendars (Today 6th December) However, in Italy, it is not a festive day, nor is there any ritual for this celebration. I knew nothing of this until now traditional celebration. Thank you for informations
In Italy we do not celebrate Saint Nicholas, it's something I discovered when we moved here in Switzerland.
@alberello75 (13179)
• Genova, Italy
@LadyDuck In fact. I'm sincere. This is the first time that I heard about this celebration
@alberello75 I never heard of it before coming to live here.
I am certain you had a wonderful feast for saint nick, so what type of foods did you make ?
A very simple dinner in front of our fireplace. I made tortellini at home followed by steamed salmon with a lemon sauce. It's not a year of happy celebrations.
@LadyDuck I know but the subtle happiness there is will eventually grow and swell making the memories less bitter and more sweet. I am hugging you from far away
@enlightenedpsych2 For the moment I am only sad and stressed, today I go back to the hospital to visit my mom and I know I will come back even more depressed.
It seems it is a festival about religion. I haven't heard about it before. I think children may like it more because they may have some coins income
Kids were happy this morning, I have seen the young girl of my neighbors checking her shoes early this morning.
@LadyDuck Her neighbors must be so kind and generous
@youless The parents put the coins in their kids shoes, not the neighbors.
@sol_cee (13616)
• Japan
Kids must have had trouble sleeping because of too much excitement. ;)
They were up early this morning, I have heard them checking their shoes outside. They were hyper excited.
@sol_cee (13616)
• Japan
@LadyDuck that would have been strange for us. I mean in my country. To check the shoes for some treats.
@sol_cee They have wooden clogs to put outside, those are not shoes that they wear.
@sjvg1976 (14615)
I have heard this customary for the first time. How much fun kids would have ?
I see how much excited the kids of my neighbors are, they were preparing their shoes a few minutes ago. They will wait all the night in the hope to find some coins.
@sjvg1976 (14615)
@LadyDuck so are you ready with the coins?
@sjvg1976 The kids got the coins, I got nothing.
I have never heard of this tradition until this year and I think it is so wonderful and interesting. I wish that we celebrated it her. Happy Saint Nicholas Day to you? Is it is a holiday?
Thank you, no it's not an official holiday, but it is a tradition that every family celebrates in the evening.
@LadyDuck Very cool. That is such a wonderful tradition! Enjoy!
@Happy2BeMe We had not the habit, because we did not celebrate in my country, but I was glad to adopt this tradition.
@Fleura (6225)
Here we only have Father Christmas, who seems to be derived from the same person. Apparently Santa Claus has mutated from Sant Niklaas or something like that.
It is correct, Santa Claus mutated from Sinterklass, that is Saint Nicholas in Dutch.