MOTHER SUES SON FOR BREACH OF CONTRACT TO PAY HER 60% OF HIS SALARY.

pixabay image
Should children be committed to taking care of the financial needs of their elderly parents? I was reading a BBC report this morning where a mother in Taiwan had her 20-year old son sign a contract to pay her 60% of his salary when he qualified as a dentist. According to the report , the son qualified and was making quite a bit of money, but for years he refused to honor the contract. His mother finally sued him. I have one son, and I made sure he received an education so that he can live a good life and start a family when he is ready. I do not see him as my old age insurance. However I know that if I ever happened to be in need he would never let me down. What are your thoughts on this matter?
Both our sons earn much more than we do, and if we ever needed money, I'm positive they'd give it to us. We paid for their education without a second thought. I never heard of such a thing!
I think 60% is rather high - he has his own life to live.
@Kandae11 I agree! What kind of mother would do that to her son? I'm sure he would make sure she was taken care of, too.
Very strange that such a contract would even be made! As a parent, I hope we give our kids the tools they need to grow up and live on their own . . . we're not trying to raise our own financial future!
That's how I see it. The mother raised him on her own and paid for his tuition, so I am thinking that he should care enough to help without having to be bound by a contract.
@Kandae11 This contract seems to have backfired on her . . . this could make family matters ugly!
@much2say She did win the case, but the judge lowered the amount . he also has to refund the money paid for his tuition.
If the son really signed a contract and he was in legal age, he is obliged to respect the contract. I suspect his mother had not a great opinion of her son to ask him to sign a contract.
That is what I was thinking, I would never have to compel my son to help me if I needed help.
@Kandae11 I know that my mother would have never asked something like this to my brother or to me.
I don't think this should be required, but a contract is a contract.
So, do you think %60 is a bit to high?
@TRBRocks420 I think so too - the judge agreed on repayment of his tuition fees and a smaller allowance.
The judge should throw it out of court. No mother should make that kind of contract with their children.
Actually, she did win, but he has to pay a reduced amount and repay his tuition fees which she paid for his dentistry studies.
@Kandae11 Such a shame.
@1hopefulman (28383)
I'm sure that if I was in need my children would help me. However, I like to look after myself and would prefer to be the one that gives to them instead of the other way around. I am thankful to be self-sufficient!
Me too.
I am not good at this.But it seems that this is happening a lot all over.Thank goodness I got away from that.
You don't need financial support from your children, I am sure.
• Preston, England
seems a harsh contract especially if he isn't living with her and paying rent
I agree, it does sound harsh.
• Preston, England
@Kandae11 she sounds very greedy
@arthurchappell She says she took care of him single handedly and paid all of his tuition fees. The judge reduced the payments but the son must repay the tuition costs. I think 60% of his salary was much too much.
@thelme55 (14571)
I find it horrible that the mother sued her son for not paying of what is said in their contract. It is a custom and tradition in the Philippines that older children help their parents financially when they are old but it is a freedom of each individual to do it. Besides, adult children are proud to take care of their elderly parents. Well, that is in my home country.
Taiwan has that custom too . And they say - a mother suing her son for that reason is an unusual occurrence there.
@thelme55 (14571)
@Kandae11 that sounds unusual indeed. I have not heard something like that until now in your post.
@thelme55 I suppose that is why it made the BBC news.
why 60percent? maybe lower it to 50 its too much she's asking
The judge was on her side, but he ruled that it should be lowered.
@Kandae11 yes because she ask too much, thats not right. even parents can be cruel
@Strawberry18 Yes indeed they can.
That is not fair to extract a commitment form children. Love is spontaneous. Also parents should plan for their retirement and not empty their coffers on their children.
I agree, there should be a retirement plan in place.
@Kandae11 When parents depend on their children it creates a rather unpleasant atmosphere as children never remember what their parents have done for them.
@allknowing Especially the mother - who bears the burden of child bearing.
@cttolledo (4459)
Haha. Is she a real mother? I don't think its a valid contract if that happened in our country. It's an obligation of the parents to send the child to school and it is right of the child also.
The judge agreed with her.
@cttolledo (4459)
@Kandae11 Maybe the law in their country allow such kind of arrangement.
@YrNemo (12657)
I read a few your replies to others. What was the outcome of the court case? I don't believe or supports parents who try to make money out of their children. From what you said to others, she must have known her son very well hence the written and binding contract when he was 20. My guess is, the guy came to the mother, asking for some sort of a loan for something else which she was reluctant to give at the time due to situations which we don't know. They then haggled and came up with that binding contract perhaps (maybe because the mother had to sell something very valuable to her?)? For all we know, that guy at 20, might have asked for a giant amount of money for a luxurious apartment for him and his expensive GF or mates as well as car etc. Do tell us what you had found out from the case please.
The mother is a divorcee and she raised two sons on her own - an elder and a younger son. She promised to put them through dentistry school, but insisted that both sign the contract. The elder son made an arrangement with the mother and paid her back, however the younger son decided that at 20 (when the contract was signed) he wasn't thinking clearly and his mother shouldn't ask for repayment for raising him and paying his tuition. The judge agreed with the mother, and he has to pay a reduced sum.
@YrNemo (12657)
@Kandae11 hmm, if she has two sons, and get 60% from each, that doesn't sound right. Then again, we are not Taiwanese, we don't know their culture.
@FayeHazel (17981)
I think that's a little harsh of her. If son agreed to it - then maybe he should do it, on the other hand think it depends on the individuals involved too. Some parents wouldn't mind raking a child over the coals, and same with some children. I think it's healthiest like you say. You desire for their freedoms -- however you know that they would be there if you were in a pinch
She probably thought of the contract after observing his behavior as he grew older, he is her son, so she would know if he would willingly help her in her old age or not.
@FayeHazel (17981)
@Kandae11 Ah, that's a point too. Either she is somewhat cold/heartless or she knew that the son wouldn't willingly offer help.... :/
@kiran8 (15360)
• Mangalore, India
I find the whole idea of signing a contract perplexing ..there may be a little more to it than what has been revealed. However, I feel that the bond that exists between mother and children is above such things and the less expectations you have from one another the better it is ..
In that country it is expected tha children assist their elderly parents.
@kiran8 (15360)
• Mangalore, India
@Kandae11 It is the same in India , elderly parents are looked after by children but I feel that it should be done with no compulsion because at that stage f their life they need love and respect from their children rather than be neglected.
@jobelbojel (7113)
As a sign of respect, children can give back but not this kind of asking. The son has his own life to support. 60% is too much.
And taking him to court for it looks awful.
@Kandae11 It is very awful.
@ilocosboy (34311)
Where is the goodness of human character? The son might loss the battle but is it moral? I don't know the story about this mother and son but that is not civilize behavior.
It is not as if she was starving. I would never dream of taking my son to court over money .ln her case, she says it is for raising him and paying his tuition .
@ilocosboy (34311)
She didn't do it for love, she did it like as investment
@JustBhem (36754)
• Davao, Philippines
We don't have it here too. I mean, as an adult it is our choice to give some for our parents if you are still living with them. But if you have your own Family, of course, it is your choice again if you still want to give something to your parents. But in any case, your parents ask for something that is badly needed for them then it is up to you as well. What I mean is, it's not all the time that you need to take a full responsibility to give something to your parents.
I would never see my parents or parent needing money and refuse to help them. I don't know if the mother in this case was poor - but she did take care of him singly and paid all of his tuition fees.
@JustBhem (36754)
• Davao, Philippines
@Kandae11 Well, if the children are still young of course it is still in the parent's custody. But if he is already done the college thing and is already working, I think it is time for him to pay his parents or at least help her parents in some ways.
@Madshadi (8937)
• Brussels, Belgium
It’s sad to see a son-mother relationship taking that turn. I would give my mother money when she needs but not because of some stupid contract.
I wonder why she felt it necessary to have a contract signed in the first place.
@Madshadi (8937)
• Brussels, Belgium
@Kandae11 that doesn’t sound normal to me either
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
Well if the son was stupid enough to sign the contract he has to be smart enough to honor it.
It seems she paid for his tuition and everything. However the son later decided that what she did was her duty as a parent.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
@Kandae11 He still signed the contract, therefor he has no reason to be upset