We have a blooming sunflower

Bunbury, Australia
Vince has a particular fondness for sunflowers and sweet peas. I know The Horse (@TheHorse) also likes planting the odd sunflower and watching it grow and bloom. As they are fast-growing and relatively easy to grow, they are good plants to use to introduce children to the joys of gardening. Vince planted a few seeds some time ago and now the first flower has appeared. It’s in the photo above. The plant isn’t very tall but already has a heap of buds on it. Sunflowers (Helianthus annuus) always look bright and happy to me and of course, birds love the seeds. Here are some interesting points about sunflowers: • Typical height is about 3 metres with the record being a mighty 9.17 metres (30.1 ft). • What is normally called the flower is actually the flower head. • It is the state flower of Kansas, the national flower of Ukraine and one of the city flowers of Kitakyushu, Japan. • Sunflowers were worshipped by the Incas who viewed it as a symbol for the sun. • There are a great number of cultivars which include a range of colours both for the outer petals and the central disc. Do you have sunflowers growing in your region?
@louievill (20986)
Sun flower grows here too, we eat the seeds, my parrot loves it too. Your post reminded me of that Sophia Lorraine movie. Vince's flower is lovely.
It is a very strong looking plant isn't it although it isn't very tall. I loved the fields full of sunflowers in France. I'd never seen them grown as crops before. We had to wait days to find a paddock with their faces turned towards us.
@louievill (20986)
@JudyEv it's possible they harvest the seed from that. I buy roasted and Molo my parrot eats it as is pet shop bought, I kilo is more expensive than rice lol! I'll try sowing it to see if it will grow
@louievill My mother planted some near her apple trees in the hope that the parrots would eat the sunflower seeds and leave the apples alone.
Yes. I have been to Kansas and they are all over the place.
Apparently they are regarded as weeds when they come up where they're not wanted.
@JudyEv They are weeds in Kansas alongside roads.
@noni1959 (4298)
Sunflowers are what I call a happy flower. They are so pretty. I love sweet peas. My oldest sister used to grow sweet peas and carnations to give me on my birthday.
Carnations are lovely and I love the perfume. I don't see them very often nowadays. I had carnations in my wedding bouquet.
@noni1959 (4298)
@JudyEv How lovely. I love the fragrance. Mostly flower shops have them now when I used to find them in grocery stores.
@cacay1 (33232)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Lovely flowers, in Ph sunflowers are found in a cold place like Baguio city. I saw many of this kind in New Zealand.
I would think New Zealand would be getting a bit cold for them but they are quite tough plants.
@wolfgirl569 (19028)
• Marion, Ohio
I am planting some when it gets warm enough out this year. I love them too.
These have grown quickly but it's probably due to the warmth.
We do have sunflowers here. In fact, we are celebrating the Flower Festival this month. I had seen most of the beautiful flowers here.
A Flower Festival would be something very special.
@JudyEv It is my dear friend. Every province in my country has its own festival. We call it "Panagbenga" or the Flower Festival in my city. Image Credit: hlimg.com
@Shavkat Wow, that is very colourful.
@WiseGhots (9993)
What a beautiful one! Look at those leaves.
The leaves are massive aren't they? The plant looks very healthy.
@WiseGhots (9993)
@JudyEv Yeah. It really is.
@mandala100 (56113)
A nice sunflower my friend.
Thank you. They are pretty flowers.
I have very tall sunflowers during summer in our garden. Most of the time the birds "seed" them from the feeders.
That is a lovely photo. It's interesting that the centres can be different colours.
@JudyEv The center becomes darker when it produces seeds, this one was still pretty young.
@LadyDuck Do some centres start off darker? I must check ours and see if the black centre is seeds or just dark-coloured.
Over here sunflowers are common plants too.Their flower discs can be used to drop blood pressure.
That's is interesting. Is it eating the seeds that drops blood pressure?
@JudyEv It is just the flower disc without seed.
@changjiangzhibin89 I didn't know that. It is good to know these things.
• Pamplona, Spain
We would have to go far out to find them and the nearest are in Torres de Elorz where they have huge fields of them. They are almost always big and tall and awesome to contemplate. Lovely image of the sunflower its one of the best flowers to cheer you up.
We saw fields of them when we were in France. They are a lovely colour and, as you say, they do cheer you up.
• Pamplona, Spain
@JudyEv They are so impressive to be by as well powerful to be in a field of them taking care not to tread on them.
What a healthy plant, the flower the bud prize worthy
It looks really healthy doesn't it?
@JudyEv Pretty robust
I have never been successful at growing sunflowers. Even if I buy seeds for the giant version, they only reach half the height and the flowers are not big. Saddens me a little to see how others are able to grow them. I do have a very sunny spot in my yard and am going to try again this year. They are beautiful flowers and I really love them. So, if at first you don't succeed, you try try again.
This one is growing at the rate of knots. I think Vince must have planted it straight into some manure or whatever.
We do not have any yet but we are thinking of planting some.
They seem to be easy to grow which is always a bonus.
Yes, I like sunflowers..Some people grow sunflowers here but not too many.
Maybe it's not quite warm enough.
@JudyEv It's warm enough..they just aren't super popular. In the summer I saw a big field of them..they were being sold.and people were taking pics with them. II wish I had known about it,in advance I would have stopped. People were taking pics with them. They even grow sunflowers in the north.
@snowy22315 I wonder if there is some reason they're not popular.
Many of the major highway exits around here have flowers planted in what would otherwise be unused space. My favourites are the ones filled with sunflowers. I like most flowers but sunflowers strike me as being particularly cheerful.
I should imagine they'd be a good choice as long as they weren't where they could restrict vision. They can get quite tall.
@JudyEv all the ones I've seen have been that variety that's only a meter or so tall.
@SophiaMorros Vince's is surprisingly short to be blooming but it is growing by the day.
We have a park here and in the past there were lots of sunflowers there. I am not sure what it is today. I think sunflowers are seasoning and we may not see them all the time.
I think they would be seasonal. They make a lovely display.
@JudyEv I am not sure about that. I just guess not many flowers can survive in the winter.
@JudyEv Not sure if we have them or not. I like the picture of yours. Yes The Horse has mentioned them too.
They are good flowers for kids.
@JudyEv That is nice.
@nela13 (12964)
• Portugal
Yes, we have, It Is such a beautiful flower.
They are so bright. When the sun is on a sunflower crop, they are almost dazzling.
@nela13 (12964)
• Portugal
@JudyEv Yes, they are
It's a very good picture. Sunflowers are pretty. The only thing growing is the height of the snow falling.
This plant seems to be doubling its height every few days. It is really taking off.
@JudyEv That's great. I know they can get tall.