Things We Take For Granted

By Jabo
United Kingdom
We take toilet paper for granted nowadays, but it was very different when I was a child. Any kind of paper was scarce in the 1940s due to WW2, so we didn't have the luxury of proper toilet paper. Instead we used newspaper cut into squares. These were hung on a hook in the outside toilet ( we didn't have an inside one). We didn't know any different so didn't feel deprived, though the newsprint sometimes left marks on our bottoms! Is there anything from your childhood that you took as the 'norm', but would be horrified if you had to use/eat now? Picture is the kind of outside toilet we used to have.
@noni1959 (4689)
I can't think of anything but my grandma used to tell us about using the Sear's catalogs in the outhouses.
We did that at the grandparents.
@noni1959 (4689)
@GardenGerty I can't imagine using them and they working well.
Sears catalogues would be one step up from newspapers
Here is my profound reflection on the topic:
I've just read a discussion by @cindiowens on the disappearance of coloured toilet paper. I was surprised that she put this 'in the past'. Well, of course,...
Thanks Malu, you article is far more informative than my own.
@jaboUK Ta muchly! (I learnt this expression on a British site I was on some years ago. Does anyone use it at all?)
@MALUSE I have heard it on odd occasions, but it's not a usual saying.
• Lenox, Georgia
Well, not really. I have had a harder life in my adulthood than I ever had as a child. But I definitely appreciate my washing machine and dryer since I used to wash laundry in a bath tub and blow them all dry with a blow dryer! It was a lot of work for 7 people.
Oh my, that would be really hard work. We never had a washiing machine in my childhood home, but I got one soon after I was married.
@vandana7 (69966)
Me too. Not only washing machine but also refrigerator, fans, air conditioners, cars.
@vandana7 All those things you were mention were in short supply when I was a child.
There is a huge huge difference between my life as a child and now. In every sphere food, clothing, entertainment...........the works We walked miles and miles to go anywhere. But I was a happy child.
I was happy too - we made our own fun, didn't we?
@jaboUK We would play in the field close by which was empty in summer............I could go on and on The bat was improvised from a coconut frond (lol)
@ptrikha_2 (12677)
@allknowing you liked batting or bowling when playing cricket.
I have used outdoor toilets and always hated them. I cannot think of anything particularly since my childhood was in the 1960s.
Outside toilets are no fun
@florelway (3508)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@jaboUK These are still found in my country. Some areas here do not even have toilets.
@jaboUK things took a while to change when I first went to Latvia in the 1990s and there were outside toilets with holes in the ground you had to stand over. I usually avoided them like the plague and went outside in the bushes.
@garymarsh6 (15716)
Fortunately we never had such a thing and we always had nice soft toilet paper although I dare say you remember Izal toilet paper they used in schools. Gosh that was awful stuff. Supposed to be antiseptic too with a shiny side and a dull side...Pretty vile wasn't it!
Oh yes, I remember Izal. Looking back it was awful, but a definite step up from newspaper!
@Fleura (8788)
@garymarsh6 @jaboUK I remember the Izal too - it was in all public toilets such as in schools and department stores, I never worked out the point because it was essentially waterproof. We had some at home which we used as tracing paper!
@Fleura Lol - that was a better use for it
@1hopefulman (38544)
I did not have a toilet, either inside or outside till I came to Canada when I was 10 yrs old.
My goodness - what did you do? Squat by the hedge??. What country did you come from?
@1hopefulman (38544)
@jaboUK Somehow we managed! I came from a small village in Italy.
• San Jose, California
@1hopefulman What is the village called?is it still there?
Thank goodness we had indoor plumbing. I would be horrified to find linoleum and formica in my house now.
Oh linoleum was considered a luxury when I was growing up
@jaboUK My parents had it put in their kitchen and bathrooms the second my father finished building the house. At least they had the good sense to put hardwood flooring everywhere else.
@ptrikha_2 (12677)
@DianneN we have marble flooring in our house.
@vandana7 (69966)
I surely love washing machine. I remember washing clothes and it was no fun. We had few fans when I was young, so our idea to keep cool was buy ice from a vendor on the street, place old towels on it, and when it was cool enough use it on fan guard. In nights, we carried our mattresses upstairs and made beds to sleep. Believe me that in itself was a luxury many did not enjoy.
Yes, hand washing clothes was a real chore. In our climate we didn't need fans but I can understand how hard it was to not have them in India, We always had a mattress of sorts, but nothing like those of today.
@vandana7 (69966)
@jaboUK I meant having a terrace where we would have natural breeze. Inside the house, it would be unbearably hot for sleeping. In your parts of the world, you all do not have flat roofs, right? :)
I used one like that a number of times. That and a chamber pot in the middle of the night or if the weather was bad.
Oh yes, chamber pots were normal in those days.
@acelawrites (15005)
We had that long, long ago and we do not have an indoor toilet. It was located some 10 meters away from our house so I was horrified going there at night, thinking of the snakes or other horrible creatures watching while am there! But we took with us a dipper with water for cleaning.
Oh at least we didn't have to contend with snakes! That must have been awful.
@acelawrites (15005)
@jaboUK but that's only in my imagination! Am so afraid of snakes that I always think there could be one lurking in there!
@acelawrites Oh right - I thought that was for real!
I don't remember too much from my really early days but I can remember when we first moved here (I was just about to turn 10) and dad got us some cots and wool blankets. I am allergic to wool so was dad so mom would put extra sheets under them so we wouldn't break out. I'm so grateful for my comfy bed even though I tend to complain about it now and then.
Oh yes, a comfy bed is a must nowadays. We didn't have proper mattresses when I was a child either.
It seems we've all become somewhat spoiled @jaboUK
@rebelann Yup, sure have.
Aside from the plumbing and the toilet paper, there's a lot to be said for simpler times.
There is indeed, we children were free to roam at will.
@jaboUK and we weren't spending all our time focusing on electronic gadgets.
@SophiaMorros So true - we must have been pretty healthy as we played outside all day. Interacting face-to-face with friends too, we learnt social skills.
It was the norm for most houses in middle-class neighborhoods to have only one bathroom. Our family of 5 shared one bathroom when I was growing up. That was the only house I have lived in over the years that had only 1 bathroom.
I have NEVER lived in a house with two bathrooms. We didn't even have one at all until I was 11. We had a tin bath in front of the fire till then. Now we have a downstairs cloakroom, but it doesn't have a bath or shower.
• San Jose, California
@jaboUK A bathroom is called a cloakroom there?
@Aquitaine24 No, a cloakroom usually just has a toilet and wash basin. A bathroom has a bath or shower. Of course a public cloakroom is where you leave your coats.
Newspaper squares - oh my ! Well, my mom used to put tons of salt in her cooking (I remember her using the salt shaker - shake shake shake into the pot) . . . but on top of that she also used a shaker of this white stuff called ajinomoto - a kind of sweet salt - which was used for a lot of Japanese cooking. Down the line, we found out this stuff was NOT healthy at all . . .in fact now we know it as MSG. This would explain a lot of the big headaches that I had as a child . . . I don't dare use this in my cooking and avoid it as much as possible .
How interesting - your mom would have no idea that stuff was so bad for you.
I really do not remember what we had.Could not be much in those awful depression years
Not many had flushing toilets back then, did they Alfredo? At least not poor people like me.
@Elizaby (4669)
• Pensacola, Florida
I remember using the outhouse back in the 1960s when we visited my aunt's farm in the summer and even taking baths in the creek
Oh yes, we used to use the local brook to have a bath sometimes. We didn't have a proper bath or bathroom till I was 11.
@LeaPea2417 (24176)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I was a baby right before disposable diapers became popular. My Mom told me stories of how she would wash and dry my sister's and my cloth diapers and hang them out to dry since she didn't have a dryer. She said in Winter, she would hang them up on a line in her attic to dry.
@Fleura (8788)
Cloth nappies are making a come-back, I used them for both my girls. They are a bit more trendy than the old ones though and far more variety available.
I'm not sure what my mother used for me, but I did the same as your mother for my own children
@Fleura Really? I didn;t know that.
@WorDazza (11748)
• Manchester, England
There is a right of way across the gardens of the row of 4 houses ours is on. This dates back to when the toilets for all 4 houses were located at the bottom of the garden of one of the end houses. I remember our first house phone being a party line we shared with one of our neighbours up the street. We just accepted the fact that sometimes when we picked up the phone to make a call our neighbour could well be having a conversation with someone on their phone.
Were the toilets separate, one for each house? Or were they communal? I remember those party lines too.
@WorDazza (11748)
• Manchester, England
@jaboUK I think they were communal. The original toilet building isn't there anymore so I can't even exercise my right of way to investigate!!
@Shiva49 (15399)
The one thing that comes readily to my mind is I used to walk without footwear till I was about ten years old! Toilets were also not inside the homes when I was young. I may add I am used to using water than toilet paper. I had a British colleague in Indonesia who had worked in Nigeria, Iran, and Greece. I was surprised when he said he used water to clean up. I recall his words when I looked surprised "that is cleaner and more hygienic". I agree in colder climate toilet paper is handy - siva
No footwear when you were small? - I suppose your feet would really become hardened. At least I had shoes, though they were hand-me-downs from my older sisters. I suppose using water is more hygienic when you think about it.