Those Small Kitchen Appliances

Anniston, Alabama
While cleaning out my lower kitchen cabinets I discovered several small appliances that I have not used in a very long time. One, is the good old electric can opener. I stopped using it when I started my journey saving power to get off the grid, I only use the old fashion twist with my hand, can opener. Two, is the meat grinder, its electric, I think I used it twice. I actually bought this for Tony`s sake, it has not been used in 3 years. Three, This one is Tony`s, snow cone maker, grinds up ice and you put kool aid syrup over it. Its not been used in forever. What else will I find under those cabinets? Do you have a small appliance problem like me?
I just set up my little household last year so I do not have too many unused appliances. One little green something is supposed to chop up and mince garlic but I have not tried it yet. That is what happens when one person does not care to cook for herself.
I have felt like I'm in the same predicament lately
@TheSojourner it made me think of the old Mary Tyler Moore Show where in the intro to the show you see her in the supermarket and she picks up something from the fridge and then just tosses it in her cart like she'll make it for herself but she is not too thrilled about it.
@RasmaSandra I don't remember that intro. But I do remember the show.
@AngelizaQT (1669)
I have a blender that I hardly ever use (maybe once a year). That's about it. The rest of my small appliances I use frequently.
I have a ninja but the seal got lost soooo??? I reckon its trash now,
@andriaperry I wish I had a ninja, I hear they are really good! I need to get a new blender because mine is one of those really old ones.
@AngelizaQT I got mine on sale at walmart for $90 but its a combo blender/ processor , the processor is what I have left but that is okay because they was cheap.
I have begining to think about buying a meat grinder. I´m sure the meat patties will be cheaper.
I used to have a meat grinder, and I used it a couple of times, but it would be better if I had several people with whom I could share it.
@TheSojourner Maybe I could share it with Claudia. I´ll ask her.
I did chicken for me once and venison for Tony
@ramapo17 (27111)
• Melbourne, Florida
I am always amazed when I clean out closets. I think I have every appliance that was on tv. I do not think they have all been used either. Maybe someday if I get something new in my head. I never throw anything out either so they just build up.
I have to get rid of half this stuff, I want to move to a smaller place.
Sometimes, even some not so close friends have given me funny gadgets as presents. Who would want an egg slicer? You boil the egg and the, with the dumb gadget cut it into 6 exact slices. I can do that with a knife.
@marguicha that's like the avocado slicer that everybody seems to want now.
@TheSojourner (19367)
I have several small appliances that I think I'm going to sell. One is a George Foreman grill, which I think I used once. I am contemplating getting rid of my larger crock pot, because I only use it once or twice a year. I'm also thinking of getting rid of my regular toaster. I don't eat that much bread or toast, but an occasional bagel. I can actually toast that in the regular oven, if I want to. I'm sure there are more that I could do without.
Same here, I can do without most of them. I have not cooked in a crock pot in years, I have one I use to make soap.
@andriaperry I like to cook in mine, but I can do the same thing in a pot on the stove or in the oven.
@TheSojourner That is how I feel too.
I don't have too many small appliances now. Mostly I've given or gifted them away.
That is my plan as well.
I have done that in part.
I have a hot air popcorn popper in one of the lower cupboards that needs to be donated since it hasn't been used in a year. That is my rule, if it hasn't been used in a year, then provided it is in good working order, it gets cleaned up and donated. I won't hold on to stuff that I don't use. I started that rule when I had to empty all of the kitchen cupboards before we had them removed and our new kitchen installed. I wish that my husband would do that with large sized power tools. A lot of those could be sold, since they have a high value, and he can rent them if and when he ever needs to use one again.
I agree with you! I am gonna hate dealing with the piled up shed, Tony does not wanna get rid of any of those things. I made the resolution to get rid of half, but I also will move into a smaller place.
You want your husband to sell his power tools? i love power tools! i always wanted them but i am forbidden to have them by family. Buy my dad once let me use some kind of saw while his hand was gripping mine so gained i thought it would fall off! I used to walk in front of the house before i stopped and he came out and seriously said he wants to see me in the basement in ten minutes i thought i was in big trouble for what i didn't know. i went down and he said in his cheerful voice he was going to let me use one of his power tools i begged to use all the time!
@Marty1 He has some really large power tools, like a table saw, a router, a drill press, and so many more that we don't even have room for here, that are stored at our son's place and usually used there also. He doesn't use them really, so they should be sold, they are all worth a fair bit of money, so that is why I'd rather see him sell them then donate them. He has an air compressor, but that gets used when he uses his air nailer, and its handy to have around.
I have some that are still in their boxes. I have an electric mayonnaise maker (a gift) still in its original box, never used, I use a whip to make mayo. I also have an electric ice grinder that I never used and a big bread maker that I used twice. The bread comes out better if you knead manually and cook in the oven.
If they are still in the boxes you can regift them!!!
I barely stopped myself from buying a bread maker when my mother, my sister and my sister in law brought one. I eat little bread now and like to change the kinds of bread I eat.
@marguicha You can make any kind of bread you like in the machine, but I still prefer to knead my dough, let it rest several hours and place in the hot oven to bake.
@simone10 (24788)
• Louisville, Kentucky
All of our small appliances are used pretty often. My brother loves to cook.
Then you have the perfect amount!
I use many of them often. But then, there are some that I have never used.
@simone10 (24788)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@andriaperry yes, I guess we do I wish I enjoyed cooking but I don't.
@bagarad (13531)
• Paso Robles, California
I have a few that I think I won't use anymore. I will have to learn to use the electric can opener because it's getting harder and harder for me to use the hand opener with my arthritic fingers. I'd love to sell the bread maker, but so far it hasn't sold. It was mom's and I don't know how to use it. The instructions say to use mixes and I don't know how to fix a recipe to work with a bread maker. I usually make whole grain breads.
That is why I am keeping the electric can opener. I need one of those jar openers! Seems I am not a strong in my hands as I once was.
I have an electric can opener that I inherited from my mother but I don´t know how to use it.
I do not have many appliances.
Minimal living.
There are some that serve no purpose.
• Rupert, Idaho
We do have a few small appliances too, including a snow cone maker as well. Eli loves them though, so that will probably get some use this summer!
Oh yeah! if I had kids I would not wonder about it, Tony is an old man
• Rupert, Idaho
@andriaperry Lol that does make sense.....but if he enjoys them I'd keep it :)
Before we moved I gave my electric can opener and my ice maker to my granddaughter.
Good deal. pass them to those who will use them.
I have an electric can opener that I don´t know how to use.
I have a few of those types of things..one is a device that melts chocolate. I used that maybe once or twice!
Oh yeah, what are those called ? you melt it and everyone sticks something in to cover it in chocolate.
@andriaperry the fondue pot
@TheSojourner That is it!
@LindaOHio (1884)
I have all kinds of small appliances that haven't been used in a long time. Blender, food processor, etc.
I use the processor when I home can, that I will keep!
@LindaOHio (1884)
@andriaperry What do you can?
@LindaOHio Everything from meat to relish.
@wolfgirl569 (16024)
• Marion, Ohio
I got rid of a lot of them this past year. I keep the electric can opener for hubby. I just prefer the hand one. It has never stopped in the middle of opening a can.
LMAO! You are so funny. I do love how they stop and its a can of tuna and the juice just splatters all over.
@wolfgirl569 Oh crap! I did not think about that.
i love kitchen appliances and won't sell them! i just tossed my electric can opener as none of them ever worked well, Now my sister gave me a hand one and o works fine. also, so many cans now have tabs to pull them open so i seldom use my can opener anymore!
I wish all of them would be pull tabs.
@andriaperry i have a problem getting some of them open without the food spilling out into the floor so i like the cans that need a can opener better
@andriaperry Wow, that is something what you are finding under there. What are you going to do with all those things you found?
Wonder if I need to keep them or sell or give them away.
@andriaperry If things like that sell then try and sell them and after awhile if do not sell then you could think of giving them away.
Woh ho hoh, you can even find treasure if you look for it in my kitchen cabinet. I'm too lazy to clean it.
No treasure here, just junk. LOL.
I have quite a few I have not used in ages, yet find I am "behind the times" as I do not have an air fryer, or an instant pot, or a nuwave cooker. I have no ideas where I would put them if I did.
I do not have any of those either, I am sure I do not need them.