Which was a harder period of history to live in?

@cher913 (25893)
Being a steadfaster (settling the west) or living during the depression? What do you think?
@cripfemme (7718)
I couldn't choose. As I'm disabled, it would hard to try to survive in either time period without my modern technology needs- electric wheelchair and medicines. I might have done better in the Old West, where there was more community. In the depression, it might have had a harder time because people were focused on their own survival
Out of those two, I think being a steadfaster is the hardest. With the depression, there were established cities you could move to and look for work.But going through a new land. No indoor plumbing, no big city, no movies?!!. That is much harder.
@deebomb (15323)
My folks lived during the depression. They often talked about how there wasn't any work. They moved from one shack to another doing field work. They thinned beets,(you had to crawl on your knees to pull up The beets that were too thick) Then they hoed them ( chopping out the weeds) Then they would cut the tops off and throw them onto a truck. Many farmers lost their farms and tried to move to California because they heard it was easier to live out their. Those farmers were chased from one place to another. The people going out west(we call them homesteader her in the US) didn't have it very easy ether. They traveled in a wagon walking most of the way. They were threatened by Indians and ranchers. They had to deal with droughts and range wars, and blizzards and often no neighbor for many miles let alone washing on a wash board.(Done that) Hoping the garden wasn't eaten by wild deer or insects. I think that I would rather live today. I like my refrigerator and washing machine too much