meaning of once in a blue moon.

Philippines
December 8, 2007 1:22am CST
whatt is the specific meaning of the idoim, once in a blue moon, is it once in a month, a year or what? or is it ocassionally?or what? how do you define once in a blue moon?
3 responses
@thefuture (1749)
• Nigeria
21 Dec 07
Hi meeneixz! Your definition is a great one. I will define atomic bomb as a strong weapon that is capable of causing huge damage to lives and properties. But the internet defined it as "An explosive device in which a large amount of energy is released through the nuclear fission of uranium or plutonium" It also defined atomic bomb as "Weapon of mass destruction whose explosive power derives from nuclear reaction". Thanks and have yourself a wonderful season.
@thefuture (1749)
• Nigeria
21 Dec 07
Hi meeneixz! I really want to apologize for responding the wrong dicussion. I mean I was trying to respond to one of your discussions tagged "Definition of atomic bomb and I mistakenly responded to this one. In my opinion, once in a blue moon means "Once in a special time, season, moment etc" I can also say "once in a blue moon means "having something that you don't have it often, but by opportunity. But according to internet, it means a long time; "something that happens once in blue moon almost never happens". It also means "When a single month has two full moons, the second full moon is called a Blue Moon. Another definition of the blue moon is the third full moon that occurs in a season of the year which has four full moons (usually each season has only three full moons). Thanks and have a blissful day.
@carolbee (16230)
• United States
8 Dec 07
My mother always used the term and I understood it to mean something that doesn't happen very often at all. Don't know that I can put a time frame on it no matter how hard I try...lol I can honestly say that I've never seen a blue moon. Might be an interesting sight.
• Philippines
11 Dec 07
your right me too im so confused why they use blue in that qoute, anyway thnks for the reply nad happy posting.....
@bhappy2 (327)
• Australia
8 Dec 07
When the moon appears twice in one month it is caused a blue moon. Because it doesn't happen very often I guess that is why people say something only happens "Once in a blue moon". I actually heard the explanation of what a blue moon is on a radio program recently.
• Philippines
8 Dec 07
so you mean that it is used when a thing happen only two times? thanks for the reply and happy posting and earning....