Do onto others as you would wish them do onto you

Singapore
March 5, 2008 11:59pm CST
I'm sure almost everyone has heard of the Golden Rule. The strange thing is that I find very little application of it round, even on mylot. Respect should be something anyone wants for his or her believes. But the way I have seem so many people flame the discussions of other religions, it seems they have little respect for other religions, let alone their own. What do you think?
6 people like this
10 responses
@cdparazo (5765)
• Philippines
6 Mar 08
When would one draw the line of respecting others and expressing ones opinion? Does it mean that ridiculing others is a sign of disrespect? I don't think so. It is how one states ones opinions and contrary thinking that shoes disrespect. One could disagree without being disagreeable. One could say the contrary without being rude and nasty. I do express a lot of opinions that is contrary to what others think but they are said in a way that is rational and not insulting. A lot of people can do it so I guess, others should learn to do it too. In the end, this world would be a better place if we discuss our contrary beliefs and opinions in a very civilized manner.
@nickventere (1420)
• Zambia
7 Mar 08
This is a wonderful rule, the Golden Rule. Anyhow, it should not be used as an excuse to escape criticism. There are two things, positive crisiticism and negative criticism. I am not too sure how the "golden rule" can be drawn into an argument or debate, but I think it is an exaggeration to claim for that when one is unable to defend their arguments. Debates are not about favours. I think it is a matter of opinion and enlightement.
• Philippines
7 Mar 08
This can be used as our defense mechanism. In every decision we make, this serves as a guide to come up with the near-right decisions. I do believe in this Golden Rule. Sometimes, when someone make us feel bad, revenge would always be at the back of our minds. Through this golden rule, it works wonders.
@mbs730 (2147)
• Canada
7 Mar 08
We all have the right to have our own beliefs and opinions. Even if I don't agree with someone else's I would never judge. And I would hope someone would respect me the same way as well. Too bad, not many people do respect others in this way.
@lecanis (16647)
• Murfreesboro, Tennessee
6 Mar 08
I've seen a lot of people, online and offline, who can't seem to follow the Golden Rule when it comes to religious tolerance. I think the major problem here is that no matter how rude they are being, some people honestly think they are helping others by attacking their religious beliefs. Either because the attacker feels the beliefs are silly and need to be disproven so the believer can move on with their lives, or because the attacker feels that the believer would be better off in their own religion and therefore must be "converted". Which of course can only be done after they are dissuaded from their current path, even if doing that means being rude or intolerant. Of course there are the people who are just rude for the sake of being rude, or feel that since others attack their beliefs they should respond in turn. ("An eye for an eye".) But when it comes to religion motives can really be more complicated than that. I don't know how many times I've known people who were otherwise kind, giving people who suddenly turn into raving monsters when shown conflicting beliefs... and then turn around and say "We're just trying to help!" I try not to strike back when someone is rude about my beliefs, to a point. For example, when the person told me I was hallucinating on my "Entry points to the spirit world" discussion, I simply thanked them for sharing their beliefs and acknowledged that we don't agree and that's okay. That's usually my first response... and after that if people continue to be rude I'll either try to explain things in a way they can understand better or leave the argument alone... because I don't want to be rude even if others are.
• United States
6 Mar 08
I think most people would agree that the Golden Rule should be followed. However, in the moment, when they are discussing something they feel very passionate about, which is often the case with religion, they often forget the rule and their desire to follow it. It is unfortunate that this happens because often many feelings are hurt because of it but most of the time people are ruled more by their emotions than their heads when debating.
@santuccie (3384)
• United States
7 Mar 08
It's a sad thing indeed. My mother is an atheist, and even she told me as a child to "Treat others the way you want to be treated." While inclusivism is growing in terms of doctrine, exclusivism abounds in practice and in attitude as always. Love your God, and love your neighbor; "all the law and the prophets hang on these two commandments." (Matthew 22:40) Salute! -santuccie P.S.: Laughing at dumb jokes is still good for your health!!!
@Ravenladyj (22904)
• United States
6 Mar 08
I have respect for ppl both online and off BUT I'll take it away as fast as I'll give it if I'm disrespected particularly if it happens repeatedly by the same person....I have zero tolerance for that crap...BUT I am also a firm believer that respect should be somewhat earned...and yes I feel that way about myself...I need to somewhat earn the respect of another just liek they need to with me..
• United States
6 Mar 08
I have been lucky. I haven't had anyone recently be rude to me. I am Never rude to anyone because they disagree with me.And all the friends and non friends that respond to are respectful too.
@derek_a (10874)
6 Mar 08
Yes, I think that if everybody followed this simple rule about doing unto others as you would have them do unto you, the world would be a peaceful place. That would be the only law required IMO... Derek
@rockvixen (894)
• United States
6 Mar 08
I agree with that rule, it's something I take very very seriously in my life. But you have to remember this, not everyone is religious, so many people are going to say things that may offend. As I see it, not many people are open minded, and to me that's not right, but again with that said, people have the right to believe in what they wish, whether people like you an I like it or not. But again,that golden rule is a great one.