How to grow coriander?

India
May 6, 2008 3:43am CST
Mint is not a problem, and I have a lovely mint bed. But how on earth do we grow coriander? I have tried everything, but somehow nothing turns our right. What about you? Do you grow coriander? If you are successful, how do you grow it? Please give me some coriander growing tips. Cheers and happy mylotting.
5 people like this
6 responses
@GreenMoo (11834)
6 May 08
Would it make you realy jealous if I told you that I have more corriander growing than I know what to do with? And it self seeds itself and just grows with no effort on my part? Mine is in a sunny bed, which is fairly dry. It grows with a few other things in the bed too, some lettuces, perpetual spinach and some garlic. I change the things depending on what odds and sods as I have around though as it's my sort of catch all bed near the house. So sorry I can't be any more help to you, but I do wish you luck!
• India
6 May 08
aaaaaaaaargggggh!! It GROWS by ITSELF! OOOOOh I am jealous... in fact, I am quite green. Here I am struggling to grow coriander. And you say you have so much you dunno what to do with it? Oh you are truly lucky, GreenMoo! :)
3 people like this
• India
7 May 08
Yup, I suspect the seed. Now coriander seed is a popular spice over here. We use a few seeds on a daily basis whenever we make curry/gravy. I tried to raise plants with the same seed. I wonder what those seeds go through before they come to the consumer. Cheers!
2 people like this
@GreenMoo (11834)
6 May 08
Could it be the seed you're using? Where are you getting it from?
2 people like this
@twilight021 (2059)
• United States
6 May 08
I am currently growing cilantro (the leafy green version) and it's doing pretty well. I must admit I did not grow it from a seed though. I bought it aldready sprouted from a local garden shop and then planted it in a window box with some rosemary. I don't have a yard because i live in the city so I use window boxes for fresh herbs. So far the cilantro looks pretty happy. It gets afternoon sun, and we try to keep it well watered. Maybe trying to grow it with an already sprouted plant will help you? Good luck!
• India
6 May 08
Oh, I am trying, and trying, and trying. I will start another discussion on coriander once I have succeeded. Cheers and thanks for the response! :)
2 people like this
@owlwings (43915)
• Cambridge, England
6 May 08
Coriander should not be difficult to grow. Like parsley, it takes a long time to germinate (up to 3 weeks) and the seedlings don't like being moved, so it should really be sown in the place where you intend it to grow. If you want to grow it for the leaf (cilantro), it is best to grow it in a semi-shaded spot, since full sun can encourage it to flower early. Harvest the leaves when the plant is large enough to cope. If you have more leaf than you can use immediately, quite a good way of preserving it is to chop the herb and freeze it in water in ice cube trays. When you need to use it, you simply add one or two cubes to the dish in the same way that you would use the fresh leaves. This also works very well for parsley and other similar herbs that are used fresh. If you want to grow for seed, plant it in a sunny spot and harvest the seed heads before they are quite ripe. Put them in a paper bag and hang upside down in a warm spot until they are dried and the seeds fall off the stems. It needs a fine tilth as a seed bed and it's a good idea to incorporate some compost when you dig the bed over. Sow seeds 4cm apart in drills 1cm deep and, when the seedlings appear, thin to 20cm apart. If you want fresh cilantro/coriander leaves throughout the summer, make successive sowings every four weeks. Water as necessary but not too often once the plants are established. Coriander has a deep root and the lower soil is where it obtains most of its water. It can be grown quite successfully in containers but, since the plant has a long taproot, the containers should be quite deep. Sow the seed as above and thin the seedlings, leaving the strongest ones to grow. It is quite a bushy (and attractive) plant when full-grown, so do not be alarmed if your first thinning seems to leave the container looking rather bare! Coriander is an annual and is not frost-hardy, so it should be sown fresh every year after the risk of frost is past.
@owlwings (43915)
• Cambridge, England
6 May 08
I should add that if you are trying to grow it from seed bought as spice, the germination rate may be low because the seed may have been harvested too early and one cannot guarantee how fresh it is. If possible, try to get seed from a seed merchant. It will, of course, cost far more than it does from the food store but you can then save seed from each year's planting.
3 people like this
@owlwings (43915)
• Cambridge, England
6 May 08
(I wish it were possible to edit our responses!) It should also be noted that the coriander sold as a spice is really the seed pod and it should be crushed to release the tiny seeds inside. It is the same family (umbelliferae) as parsley and many other herbs. A technique used when sowing parsley may also work with coriander (though I haven't tried it). This is, having sown the seeds at about 1cm depth, to water them in with boiling water. This 'jump starts' the seeds into germination.
3 people like this
• India
6 May 08
Oh wow, I never knew all this. Thanks a lot for the information! (I too wish it was possible to edit our posts!) Cheers and happy mylotting!
4 people like this
• Lubbock, Texas
6 May 08
I don't have any luck getting anything to grow from seed here. The wind blows so much it's nearly impossible to keep soil damp enough for seed to germinate. I have grown cilantro (coriander is the seed of cilantro), from a plant. It did not reseed itself as my parsley has done.
2 people like this
@owlwings (43915)
• Cambridge, England
9 May 08
As I mentioned above, PositiveMinded (and thanks for the BR - I'm not sure I deserved it because there are many other good answers!), coriander/cilantro, like parsley, hates root disturbance, so if you plan to replant a pot that you bought, just break it out of the pot and put the whole rootball in a well-watered hole in the ground. Breaking out individual plants from the pot will almost certainly fail because the tiny rootlets are very sensitive. Once your clump seems to be well established, you may then be able to let some plants go to seed and collect seed for next year. I hope you have lots of success with the seed your kind friend has sent you!
1 person likes this
• India
9 May 08
Thanks for that great tip, owlwings. I will keep it in mind.
1 person likes this
@ak2008 (63)
• India
19 May 08
Grow coriander in a pot. Get some green coriander and spread in on the soil of the pot pushing the twigs slightly inside the soil. Water it. You will see them growing. It will not be on a large scale but only for your own use.
• India
12 Jan 11
Hi Sonia beta I tell you a very simple way, take some seeds, rub it with an old used shoe, plant them in sandy soil, add little water, am sure they sprout so soon, this works always, though i don't know the reason behind.. Thank you so much for this discussion. Professor ‘Bhuwan’. . Cheers have a lucky day ahead.