July 9th - National Sugar Cookie Day

United States
July 9, 2008 6:20am CST
I think if it rains today, we are going to make some. I think I might have some frozen cookie dough, if not I will go hunt one down on Allrecipes.com. The girls love to bake with me, so this should be a fun time!!! Do you like your sugar cookies plain, with icing, or sugar on top? My cousin use to make the best sugar cookies, they were works of art with the different color frosting on them. Plus the frosting was not too sweet, it was very good. We just like decorating them with the sugar sprinkles. National Sugar Cookie Day is a day to satisfy your sweet tooth. Popular with young kids, and old kids, sugar cookies usually don't last long around the house. It's pretty easy to see how Sugar cookies came to get their own special day. Almost everyone has had them. Many people are hooked on them. Put out a plate of sugar cookies, and you can be certain they won't be there for long. We haven't seen any surveys, but it's a sure bet that sugar cookies are right up there with chocolate chip cookies as America's favorite cookie. Spend a portion of the day baking sugar cookies. They are very easy to make. If you have kids, make today a real family holiday, and let them help with the baking. Homemade cookies taste best when you helped to bake them. Once you've baked the cookies, hurry and pop them into your mouth while they are still warm. They're mmmmmmmmm.... good!
1 person likes this
5 responses
@RDugas (247)
• United States
9 Jul 08
Sounds like a really good excuse to eat cookies and not feel guilty about cheating on your diet. Im gonna use that excuse today to tell myself its ok!
1 person likes this
@schulzie (4061)
• United States
11 Jul 08
Oh man! I missed it by one day! And it's weird but I was at Walmart yesterday and I was thinking about buying some sugar cookie mix and making some for the kids. I had never heard of this holiday before. I'll have to mark my calendar for next year! Thanks for sharing!!
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
10 Jul 08
I am sure, as long as the cookies are freshly baked, it doesn't really matter whether they are sugar or chip. I dunno about the rest, but I am a sucker for fresh baked goods. Flour, sugar and eggs smell so good when they go into the oven! I never knew that there is such a thing as a sugar cookie day. A national day as well. SO, do you get a day off work for National Sugar Cookie day?
@lilybug (21107)
• United States
10 Jul 08
Wow! I whole day dedicated to Sugar Cookies. It is funny how they make all sorts of special days for foods.
@roxanne271 (2034)
• Trinidad And Tobago
9 Jul 08
Frosted Sugar Cookies - I like my sugar cookies to be frosted
Oh wow I didn't know today was sugar cookie day. I know there is a chocolate covered raisins day yum yum! Anyway I also love sugar cookies! I make mine homemade and with frosting as well, they just aren't the same without frosting if you ask me. I do love adding sprinkles to them, especially when it is Christmas time and I make them shaped in a tree shape, put on green frosting and add those coloured sprinkles. They look like decorating balls! I just might make a few of these treats today in celebration. I'll see how I feel...have the flu for over a week now but i guess a sugar cookie might help me to feel just a bit better