Did you know that some food makes you stay awake?

@ahgong (10064)
Singapore
February 23, 2009 1:01am CST
I was posting something about food that makes you sleepy. And it got me thinking. If there are foods that makes you sleepy, there must be food that makes you stay awake. Now we all know about cafeine. But it does not work for everybody. So I decided to do a search on the internet for more information. Apparently, food is categorized into two main groups. One is the sleeps, which as the name suggest, makes you sleepy. You can read more about it here -- http://www.mylot.com/w/discussions/1918279.aspx The other category is the wakers. Wakers are foods that stimulate neurochemicals that perk up the brain. One of the neurochemicals that keeps us awake is tyramine, an amino acid that causes the release of a brain stimulant called norepinephrine, that can keep us wired all night long. Here is the list of foods that keeps one awake: ham bacon sausages Aged cheese aubergines tomatoes red wine peppers smoked meats fish chocolate So, maybe including some of these foods in your day meals like breakfast and lunch will allow you to stay awake better during work hours. food, awake, tyramine,norepinephrine, choose, include, meals, ahgong
3 people like this
9 responses
@kun2349 (23381)
• Singapore
23 Feb 09
YEah, this list here, looks more decent to me.. hehe ^_^ All of the above food are part of breakfast items and thus they should really wake one up.. haha =D But other than these foods, i supposed all sweet stuffs should have the same effect too right?? Because the sweetness in the food will increase out body pressure, and thus causing causing our metalbolism rate to be higher, and we can stay awake.. Isn't that right?? hehe
1 person likes this
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
23 Feb 09
But sugar will usually surge the blood energy levels. Once the sugar rush is over, you end up more sleepy and awake. And you will need more sugar to maintain that high level of energy during the surge. I do not think it is a good idea to put sugar on the list. Especially if you are not leading a active lifestyle to burn all that extra sugar.
1 person likes this
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
24 Feb 09
Yeah... I know. It is call the glucose index. I was looking at those when I was calculating the kind of food to eat when I was on a diet. That is why I am not putting sugar, explicitly, on this list.
1 person likes this
@kun2349 (23381)
• Singapore
23 Feb 09
BUt most things are sweet and have sugar, or glucose in them ^_^ SO, in a way, we are actually taking them inside our body, and they are part of the reason as to why we are more awake.. haha
1 person likes this
@zweeb82 (5653)
• Malaysia
24 Feb 09
HahahaWhat about the part where you get sleepy after eating, no matter what food you take? HahaWhen I'm sleepy, no food will keep me awake. Sleep I will, haha
1 person likes this
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
25 Feb 09
Not every one can afford that luxury of sleep after a heavy meal. That is why I like to eat light when I need the extra attention span. Especially for meetings after lunch. Those are the worst kind of meetings to ever have. After lunch, if the meal was heavy, it is terrible to have to struggle to stay awake!
1 person likes this
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
3 Jul 09
ha ha ha ha ha... Exactly! That is why I hate it when people like to schedule meetings in the afternoon. Especially after lunch! Now, whenever I have an afternoon meeting, I am mindful of what I eat during lunch!
1 person likes this
@zweeb82 (5653)
• Malaysia
25 Feb 09
Hahaha, meetings after heavy lunch, hahahaYou can tell me about that!~ It seems like everything we see become a nice bed & pillow - for instance, the meeting table? HAhahaLike a mirage in the dessert feel, haha
1 person likes this
@arkaf61 (10881)
• Canada
3 Jul 09
Great! So here's the other part of the equation, and the way to possibly balance the whole thing together. Thanks for both posts, good stuff :) Although I have to say that from what I see I apparently already balance my meals in a way that the sleep or awake parts neutralize each other, but.... good to know:)
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
3 Jul 09
ha ha ha ha ha... glad that you find the post useful. I too am surprised at the list of foods when I came across it!
@naka75 (795)
• Singapore
24 Feb 09
I don't quite agree ham, sausages, cheese, smoked meat, fish keep me awake, as I've ate them and several hours I can feel the sleepiness seeping in. I think most people would say coffee or tea, with the large amount of caffeine that keeps the brain "high". But to me, they make me dizzy and slightly sleepy. I guess for my case the only food I can think of is bottled pure prune juice, which has high level of antioxidants. I believe food with high antioxidants can help one stay awake.
1 person likes this
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
25 Feb 09
Hmm... interesting. Foods with high antioxidants will help you to stay awake. I will have to try to see if it has the same effect for me. Like I said, we all react differently to the same foods. What may keep some one awake, may not do the same for you or me. Thanks for sharing though.
@coloos (98)
• China
23 Feb 09
Really appreciate your sharing. It's a great help to me. As a college student, i always have to stay up late and thus sometimes don't have enough energy in the day time. Thank you!
1 person likes this
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
24 Feb 09
Glad to help. I was just doing some research after listening to the radio. And boy was I surprised at the list when I search on the net. I will definitely be re-looking my shopping list. Hope you find the list helpful to you as I hope it would to me!
@lisast (40)
• Greece
23 Feb 09
Great post! Thanks for the useful info! I just want to add that eating an apple in the morning is better than cafeine in terms of energy and to stimulate the brain! :)
1 person likes this
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
24 Feb 09
Hmm... but apples are listed on the list of foods that make you sleep. And I can attest to it. Cos at one stage, I was having apples in the morning during my tea breaks. It was good to keep me a wake for that short while after I eat the apple. There after, I feel darn sleepy. So much so, I made sure I never have apples again on mornings where I have important meetings!
@skyblue (1299)
• India
23 Feb 09
I think todays top discussion.I will try it.Have a good day.
1 person likes this
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
23 Feb 09
I too am going to give it a try to see if it is true. An interesting find for me today as well. Today's top discussion? I sure hope it will be. Cos the more people knows about it, the more they are aware, the better their choices of food come meal time!
@NaomiErin (389)
• Philippines
23 Feb 09
I took a chocolate once late at night because I was so hungry. I couldn't sleep after. _
1 person likes this
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
23 Feb 09
I really have no idea. I guess it will depend on the quantity then. And how much of the chemicals the body makes to make the brain sleepy or awake. You can try and then tell us of the results.
@fren45 (894)
• Malaysia
23 Feb 09
Thanks for the interesting topic on the foodstuff ..now I can stay awake better
1 person likes this
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
24 Feb 09
I sure hope so. I am also gonna be re-looking my shopping list so that I can make full use of the benefits of food!