Hindsight...

Hindsight - Hindsight bias is the inclination to see events that have occurred as more predictable than they in fact were before they took place.
@ahgong (10064)
Singapore
February 26, 2009 3:22am CST
There are many times when we sit down to analyse a situation that we thought we could have done better if presented with the same situation. Or that after an incident happened, we think back and felt that we could have handled the situation better. I am sure a lot of us has gone thru some hindsight at one time or another. But are there times when something is happening, and if you took an extra moment to think about your action, you could have done things differently? And in the event that you cannot do anything else after the incident as passe, what good is the hindsight on the matter that you can no longer change?
3 people like this
4 responses
@kun2349 (23381)
• Singapore
27 Feb 09
I think that situation applies to majority of us.. When things happened, we will only wanna solved them as fast as we could and time is toop precioys for us to think about the best consequences we could have.. After all, all man are for themselves and they only think of protecting themselves and that's it.. UNless one is someone whom always put others before themselves, only then they will be able to see a larger pictrue which does not involved them in it.. Whatever they do, they placed the best interest of all others before them, and thus thye are able to handle any situations well.. With that, they wont have any hindsights as if given the same situation, they will do the same thing again ^_^ But for majority of ple like us, we have think thru our actions, but ifthe same thing happened again, emotions or some other factors will hinder our hinsight from earlier, and make us commit the same mistake again ^_^ IT's just human nature ^_^
1 person likes this
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
2 Mar 09
Yeah... that is what I feel. Other than using it as a kind of review for learning from our past, there is nothing else we can much do about hindsight. I guess this is why they call it experience. We go through the situation or incident. Make the decisions to handle it. And then learn from it. And when it happens again, something similar, we know what to do or expect.
1 person likes this
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
2 Mar 09
Maybe for some people, it is like that. Every individual has a different learning curve and aptitude.
1 person likes this
@kun2349 (23381)
• Singapore
2 Mar 09
Yeah, learn from experience.. But how many of us, do really actually leanrn from experience?? lol =D Experience or hinsight is like a guideline, and most ple will still trust instinct to do things their way, to prove that they are right.. But more than often, they are still wrong.. And it definitely takes alot more experience before one can really learn the same old mistake.. haha =D
1 person likes this
@applefreak (3130)
• Singapore
27 Feb 09
yes i always analyse situations or experience i just went through. thinking about it makes it easier for me to understand the whole thing. i would also think of the different ways i might be able to handle it. all these helps with future events which may bear some similarities. it may not be entirely the same but at least i have something to refer to. this is called learning from experience. if we go through life without looking back, we are bound to make the same mistakes again and again. cheers
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
2 Mar 09
Yeah... totally agree with you my friend!
@laydee (12798)
• Philippines
26 Feb 09
You cannot change the past, but it does help remind you to do better the next time around. Situations may not come back but I do believe that predicaments would certainly come back. There will be times when the same actions would give out the same reactions, while if you've learned from the previous situation, you can definitely control your actions in the next. Having the ability to look back, regret, understand, and study situations would entail that a person is more mature since he/she knows that what he/she did was a mistake and she/he'd strive to make up for things by not repeating it. Attitudes, the way we deal with others, and our words often times lead us to great mistakes (most of which we cannot really take back), being mature enough to change would definitely help us in the long run. I actually do that every night before I go to sleep. I look at the things that have transpired during the day, study my actions and the things I should have done. And hopefully, learn from my mistakes. Happy mylotting!
1 person likes this
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
27 Feb 09
I used to do that when I was younger. Reflecting on the day before I retire for the day. Now, I just reflect on the problems I face. And try to see if there are any solutions or better ways to handle it should there be a next time. Cos after a long day at work, the only thing I want to do is to numb myself with some TV.
@JenInTN (27514)
• United States
26 Feb 09
Some people dwell on their past but in my opinion hindsight is only good for future occurances. It helps in dealing with similar situations that happen in the future.
1 person likes this
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
27 Feb 09
Yeah... that is what I thought so too. To reflect about our involvement in a certain situation. And then see if there are better ways to deal with it. And learn from it so that we do not commit the same mistake. Or if the situation was handled well, remember it so that we know what to do in future.