Am I a boy? Or a girl? Any experiences of misunderstanding??

India
May 14, 2009 10:40pm CST
Don't worry. I'm not the type of thing you are thinking. No. Some one misinterpreted my gender. Did you have any experiences like that in mylot? Not just gender problems, but age problems or anything... go ahead share it. Actually, I wanted to share an incedent in 'mylot.com'. I was usually responding in 'mylot.com' when I came across an advice related to teens. I am a teen so I decided to help that mother. After that I realized that the discussion was actually in 'motherhood'. I didn't add the interest of course. After a few days when I checked back, the woman had left a comment for me. She said that 'You are a very great mother with good managing abilities. I bet you won't have any trouble managing your teenage kids.'. I am a 20 year old Man.
5 people like this
14 responses
• Philippines
15 May 09
back when i was a newbie in mylot, a lot of people in the US and UK thought i was a guy. in my line of work, communicating via email to my counterparts in other countries, people who haven't met me yet, thought that i was a guy too, until they heard me on the phone or met me in person. they all said that myles is more common for guys back in their place. hehehe while on travel, several times i got mistaken for a local in a foreign land. in korea, i was trying out a few words in korean language and immediately the flight attendant fired a rapid korean thinking i was a local. in indonesia and singapore, it's the same story. a few years ago, on my way to jakarta, i met a couple of malaysian businessmen. they both thought i was still in school and probably 18 or 19 just like their daughters. they gave me some travel tips for travelling solo, as well as advised me not to take boy-girl relationships too serious yet coz i got to prioritie my studies first. i told them i was much older than that and i was doing some work for a few years already. hehe actually, i didn't know whether to be flattered to be mistaken to be younger than what i was back then or insulted because i was in braids, no make-up, a white top, and short pants.
• Philippines
15 May 09
in my line of work, as a trainer, i need to be taken seriously and act my age. it's hard to earn the respect of guys twice my age who have been running their businesses for decades and decades already and teaching them other ways to do their thing. i actually try a few words in foreign languages coz it's handy when nobody else speaks english. unfortunately, they thought i was a local for sounding like one. and fortunately, i sounded like one so they are warmer in accepting my attempts in learning more of their culture and language. :)
2 people like this
• India
15 May 09
Three experiences. That's cool. And even I thought Myle was a guy name. Have you heard of Myle Standish? He was a British colonist. And about your age. For a woman, it's not an offense to be thought as a teenager. In fact it is something that many women crave for. And an advise: do not speak foreign language if you are not thorough with it. I have tried it and the results were quite.... painful.
1 person likes this
• India
15 May 09
I agree with you. Keep your age up then. And Don't be hesitant to be active in the trainer field. It requires a lot of patience and self-confidence. And yes, practise the language well before trying it.
1 person likes this
@modstar (9605)
• Philippines
15 May 09
Nah, nothing like that ever happened to me here. In real life, i guess it happened to me many times. lol! I used to grow my hair long down to my shoulders then this cashier in Jollibee said "Good morning maam". Well clearly, i was with my girlfriend that time. lol! Maybe i looked like tomboy back then or a real girl. lol! Now i shave my head for a more manly look. lol!
• India
15 May 09
Wow.... In real life? That's cool. I look like a perfect man and behave like one in real life, so I don't get mistaken. In mylot, neither do I have a male username nor do I have a male profile pic. Everything is neutral. I guess you won't start poking fun of me. Any way good to hear you've shaved you hair off. No more misinterpretations.
@modstar (9605)
• Philippines
15 May 09
Nah, why would i make fun of you. I'm enjoying most of your discussions. Besides, i already know your gender since i visited your profile weeks ago. It's the place i go to check on your discussions.
1 person likes this
• India
15 May 09
You visit my profile every day? Well I should really appreciate you. I don't start much discussions now, since I don't ave time to reply back to everyone. Anyway, Have a good time. And I was just kidding about 'poking fun of me'. I know that you are a well behaved man. Just don't grow you hair long again.
1 person likes this
@tuyakiki (3016)
• India
15 May 09
Oh!! One hilarious incident happened with me,a few months back.There was a discussion regarding the movie Terminator... And I have written something like I don't like watching action movies as it shows a lots of violence.The member who has posted the discussion says that all guys should be a fan of that hulk Arnold..And I should not get scared of actions being a boy.....I laughed a lot.And corrected him. I think,my username sounds pretty feminine...I don't know how can a person make such an error.
2 people like this
@tuyakiki (3016)
• India
15 May 09
My name is Kiki!!Some also called me Tuya!! I am an Indian...I am from WB,India.
1 person likes this
• India
15 May 09
Oh I am sorry, Kiki. I am from India too. But I live in kerala. The names of WB are very different from Kerala. That's why I didn't get you. I didn't hurt your feelings right?
1 person likes this
• India
15 May 09
Even I like that hunk. But not a big fan of course. And yes, your name seems feminine enough.Even if it doesn't your bunny on the profile pisture says it. Honestly, I have never heard of a name called 'tuyakiki'. Are you a Japanese or a Chinese? Or some other Mongolian? I'm just asking you... please don't think I am trying to hurt your feelings.
1 person likes this
@PeacefulWmn9 (10420)
• United States
15 May 09
This is cute, in a way, and yes, it happens. You could consider beginning such discussions with: From the point of view of a 20-year-old man... I applaud you for venturing in to territory, though, that some might have considered for mothers only. We each had one, so every perspective is relevent!
2 people like this
• India
16 May 09
Doesn't matter anyway... And in fact I had no idea the discussion belonged to the section of moms. I was responding in 'life'. When I saw the link in the side column. How could I be blamed??? In fact I was only trying to help a desperate mom..
1 person likes this
@yoyozhou (356)
• China
15 May 09
Oh,it is funny. It let me remember an case. When I was a child, I had a short hair.Every time I went to somewhere,people mistook me for a boy.I just wanted to say "I am girl."
2 people like this
• India
15 May 09
That's something usual. Girls and boys donot have visible external differences when they are mere kids. And you shouldn't have said that you are a girl to everyone. If I were you,Yoyozhou, I would have let them mistake me, then I'll have some fun when they said to my parents,"Hey your son, he's a freaky good boy!"
1 person likes this
• India
15 May 09
lol this was really funny and this could happen a lot on net especially when you choose a ID not resembling to any name or gender .I remember my friend who was a girl used to post many threads in a forum but one day she got shocked when she found out that people thought she was a man . Lol , we really laughed together that time.
2 people like this
• India
15 May 09
Yes it's very funny. I'm sure no one would misunderstand you... Are you from India?? Which state?
1 person likes this
• India
15 May 09
No. Not only name does the job... Everyone has a style of writing. Boys and girls are different. That's how we identify the people.. And Aakansha is a nice name... I studied in Delhi for 2 years. In Montfort, Ashok vihar. Do you know the school?
1 person likes this
• India
15 May 09
I am from Delhi and why you said no one will misunderstand me ? I think people from other countries cannot make out from my name whether i am a girl or a boy .
1 person likes this
• India
15 May 09
Nice confusion but I think she was thinking of you as a mother coz maybe as a teen yourself, you understood the problems of her child better…it happens you know, sometimes we mothers don’t know what to do and some other teenager can analyze the problem better being in the same age group! Anyway, most often I have been thought of as a man while I am a woman though I must say I am not really bothered by that. My friends like me, that’s all that matters
1 person likes this
@mysdianait (66009)
• Italy
15 May 09
[i]
1 person likes this
• India
15 May 09
Was that supposed to an encouragement? I mean.. who's gonna be lucky meeting this freak? I will love my children, but I am scared whether I will ask them to read ebooks and tread their father's path. I don't want them to be a freak like me. Though I like the idea that I am a freak.
2 people like this
• India
15 May 09
I am really impressed. I could be a good mother. But God made me a man. Maybe I can be a good father too. And I will try to be one. My principle is simple. *Give love, get love *Show love, don't tell 'I love you.' Action speaks louder than words.
2 people like this
@subha12 (18441)
• India
15 May 09
I did not have this type of experience as of today. But it is sometimes not easy to get idea about age from discussion itself. it is not possible to see the profile of the user all times.So it happens.
1 person likes this
• India
15 May 09
Was that a condolence? Anyway I am glad that you were never mistaken. And Shuba is a woman's name. I was just wondering... Are you from Kerala?
1 person likes this
@Qaeyious (2357)
• United States
15 May 09
I would think some men would be great mothers That is, in the traditional gender role sense, being nurturing and comforting, and all the things mothers are traditionally for. Now I'm probably being genderist in that regard but all the men in my life as a child were the typical military types; "Be a man" and all that. I looked younger than what I was when I was younger. I passed for 17 during my early thirties, but it degenerated quickly after that (most likely from my smoking, that I stopped before my 40th birthday)
2 people like this
• India
15 May 09
Sure. I proved it right? Men could be better baby carers than women. If one has a really impatient wife, he will automatically be a good 'motherly-being'. And in this instance I would point out that in biology, mammal are evolved from 'Duck-billed-platypus'. After the egg hatches, it's the male that feeds the baby with milk!!
1 person likes this
@mysdianait (66009)
• Italy
15 May 09
I knew you were a male right from the start. Not sure why but Ijust 'felt' it in yuor writing. Then it was confirmed reading some of your discussions from your profile I have been mistaken for a male onhere several times. Many have said 'thanks man' and then I go back and tell them that I am not what they think I am In real life it's obvious what I am and no-one has ever had reason to doubt
1 person likes this
@mysdianait (66009)
• Italy
15 May 09
Indeed I am (you missed an event in my profile )
1 person likes this
• India
15 May 09
Belated Mother's day!! How old are your kids? Are they teens? I always have mothers flocking asking advises for their teens.... I wonder what's wrong with teens. I was a teen myself, and I don't think my mom ever faced any problems.
2 people like this
• India
15 May 09
I always knew you were a woman from the start. The look on that big yellow head of yours reminds me of my own mother. But my mother is more beautiful than a smiley and gives a more severe look that that yellow ball. Are you a mother?
2 people like this
@mommyboo (13174)
• United States
15 May 09
I don't have problems via message boards or social networking sites. I tend to have problems in person, especially with strangers. Upon meeting strangers, people will assume all sorts of incorrect things about me. The biggest one is that I'm young. I'm young but NOT THAT YOUNG. The next one is that I'm single or interested. I wear rings, I fail to see how THAT goes unnoticed. Number three - refer to the first two because some people are surprised that I have kids. Then you have the idiots who 'think I'm from somewhere else' I've never had the problem of someone thinking that I'm a guy, I don't communicate like a guy, not in writing, not body language, or talking. I'm also unmistakeably female when you see me so nope... no gender confusion here. I'm pretty upfront though with people, I see no point in lying about my age and I would never hide the fact that I'm married or have kids. I rather wonder what is wrong with people who do lie about those things....
1 person likes this
• India
16 May 09
Age has always boggled men. Especially beautiful women. It's like Superman's Krypton for them. When the see some one worth drooling over, they never consider the age.... anyway that should surely say that you will have no gender confusions. And is the girl in your profile pic your daughter?? She's sweet!
1 person likes this
@metschica25 (5399)
• United States
15 May 09
Nope , No1 ever thought I was a man LOL... My one friend everyone thinks she is an older surfer dude with long hair , and it hurts her feelings . I know I get mad if someone says I look older for my age or something . I wanna age well I know an old classmate had pics of her new baby and I thought she had a son , and I am so happy i didnt say he is so handsome . Now that sucks when that happens.
• India
15 May 09
Doesn't matter. It all happens ot us in a point of our life... I mean- the misunderstanding thing and not the other one. And don't get mad, there is a cure for aging. Go to lulu.com and type 'How to prevent Aging'. It's a research publication by Dextral Solutions, an expert think tank.
1 person likes this
@j00nior (182)
• Canada
16 May 09
I was mistaken for a woman at a discount store I worked at about three years ago. I am male, and an older male mistook me for a woman. "Excuse me Miss, I was wondering if you had these shirts in a larger size?" and I just answered his question without correcting him, but then he looked at me a little harder and was like "OH sorry, sir..." and then just let me continue. I laughed right in his face almost uncontrollably. It made my day, no it made my week.
• India
16 May 09
Yes. Sometimes things can go right wacky. People mistake you, then they find that they are embarrassed... And that's a good sign that it made your week! Go ahead! Fool everyone!
1 person likes this
@razia91 (13)
• India
22 May 09
No. Such an experience has never happeened to me. And I wish it will never happen too. I don't like it.
1 person likes this