How far is ethical and who's going to decide?

@mimpi1911 (25464)
India
November 24, 2009 8:25am CST
Recently, I read a news that hackers are hired by the governments, NGOs and leading corporate brands to hack into websites initiating cyber wars between organisations and even countries. The term ethical is being used very loosely here obviously. If this is the case, people can go around and decipher important government affairs. I am sure many governments like ours has very little cyber protection with lack of expertise. They hire third parties to decode secret missions and who knows what is on their mind! Ethical hacking is a nice term but who's going to decide if it really is or not?
2 people like this
7 responses
@riyasam (16556)
• India
24 Nov 09
since there is a lot of cyber crimes taking place,the goverment has no other options rather than to hire these computer savvy hackers,they do check their credentials and maybe they are taking some other precautions which are unknown to us but they have to take some risks,theres no other way out!!
@mimpi1911 (25464)
• India
24 Nov 09
I would like to believe that as well. But recently some important stuffs are divulged! Shocking!
@riyasam (16556)
• India
24 Nov 09
can u give me some link where in i can get some more information??
@bjcyrix (6901)
• Philippines
29 Dec 09
This just made me think of the book Digital Fortress by Dan Brown. The setting of the book is NSA and they're said to have this huge extremely powerful supercomputer that could decode messages in seconds. I forgot if they also decode messages being sent and received overseas or they only decode those messages sent and/or received in the US. Im just not sure. What Im sure of however is that they have this advanced technology and they do this kind of job with the purpose of preventing possible terrorist attacks or anything that could endanger national security. Logically thinking, if they have that kind of power to decode, they can possibly intercept as well as send those kind of messages themselves if they wanted to. With the ever changing advancement of technology, its inevitable that there be a new battlefield which is the worldwideweb, be it the top position in the companies in the world or be the number one country in the world. I guess it would just be up to the individual if they agree and go along with this kind of thing, regardless if its already way over the line.
@sizzle3000 (3036)
• United States
25 Nov 09
I'm not sure I've heard of this term but to me it doesn't seem right. It seems like someone's trying to control everything and play God. I knew that the schools hire hackers to find and delete all proxys students use to get on restricted sites on school computers. That I can understand but to do everything else that you said...I don't see where that's nescassary. I could be wrong and it could be very needed but from my point of veiw they're acting like children and calling it something else.
@jdyrj777 (6530)
• United States
25 Nov 09
Im not surprized to hear this. I even heard tha the presedent knew that 911 was going to happen before it did.
@RawBill1 (8531)
• Gold Coast, Australia
24 Nov 09
This does not surprise me at all. I am not sure that most governments know how to apply ethics at all! They seem to do what they want with no regard to what the people want. I get the feeling that they are just out to feed their pockets and their ego's most of the time!
@zamurai (47)
• India
25 Nov 09
Yes that is what is happening nowadays. The word ethical shouldn't be used anymore as there are no body with clear mind now who are hackers. The governments lack technical expertise and whom they hire are from outside . And its idiotic to rely on what they do.
@nanajanet (4436)
• United States
24 Nov 09
That is not ethical. Anything that is sneaky, undermining, dishonest, etc., is as far from ethical as we are from the end of the universe.