Will you be hurt if you are not invited to a party?

friends - Friends having fun.
@bingskee (5234)
Philippines
September 15, 2010 7:05am CST
Chatting with one of my HS classmates, he mentioned that a classmate will be treating everybody to some place and asked if I will go. I answered in all honesty that I was not invited and told him that it could be an event for her closest friends. The classmate I was talking, too, felt like embarrassed, but to save him from being so, I told him it is okay and I am not the least affected. He felt so embarrassed still and I could feel that. I am not being arrogant I believe but I am just honest to say that if I am not invited, I will not be slighted. Honest. How could I be hurt when there are times I am confined to a decision to only invite a few of my friends to an event or an occasion? There are many reasons why this is so: - limited funds - the party is exclusive - other reasons we would not want to know For whatever reason, it is the host's prerogative to choose who he or she will invite. But then, what if the host is a close friend of yours and you are not invited when everybody else is invited?
11 people like this
37 responses
@SinfulRose (3527)
• Davao, Philippines
15 Sep 10
No, I won't be. I am the type of person who would rather stay at home that go out with people and party. In other words, I am the anti-social person. In fact I would be very happy if a friend or neighbor wouldn't invite me because most of the time I am very busy with stuff. Most of their special events happen when I am most busy due to school and family problems. And another of my reason for not wanting to come is that I am not very fond with the crowd and noise. I attract too much attention because of my height alone and there is another thing with my skin color compared to the majority of the people living in this country where I was born and grew up. And because of those, I end up shy and quiet and would rather stay in a dark corner in order prevent attracting too much attention and to keep away from people's eyes. The food I would eat then, would taste a bit bland in my mouth because of the ambiance of the place. With the more people, the lesser the quality of the atmospheric harmony, that's in my opinion. But anyways, I'm blabbering again... I wouldn't be hurt. I already told my friends about it and they all thankfully understood my dilemma. If ever they invite me, they tend to do the party in their homes or in a secluded place. Well, that's my answer... Happy MyLotting!
@bingskee (5234)
• Philippines
16 Sep 10
before, i used to be that. would prefer to stay at home. currently, i shifted from that mode ha ha i think it would also be great to mingle once in a while. glad to know we have the same line of thinking sinfulrose.
• China
16 Sep 10
Yes, so do I. I would Rather stay at home or hang out with my cloest friend than go to the party. If somebody invite me, I would be uncomfortable to refuse them. but to you, could judge if he treat you as friend and consider to cut off with him.
@patgalca (18174)
• Orangeville, Ontario
15 Sep 10
I am not really a party person so if I were invited I would more than likely decline. However, I am a member of a writing group. Some of us are very close. I heard some of them talking about some sort of get together. When I questioned it they waved me off saying it was something else. I felt very offended and actually called one of the members and told them I felt like I was being cut out. I was assured that was not the case but I still feel the dynamic of the group has changed and that I am not "in" with them anymore. I tell myself that most of the time I would decline invitations anyway so I shouldn't take offense. And they probably know I wouldn't go and that's why they don't include me. That keeps me from stewing over it all.
1 person likes this
@bingskee (5234)
• Philippines
16 Sep 10
i could understand. that is a different scenario from being not invited at all. they could have told you about it anyway.
• United States
15 Sep 10
I agree with you bing, I do not get the least bit hurt. But for some reasons others feel that I should be. I suppose this way of thinking for me has come from the years of life I have lived and realize there are so many other reasons that are just more important. I had a similar situation recently, whereas an ex-sister in-law had her grand daughters sweet 15, she had told me that she was going to be doing this party about a whole year prior. Well other family members where inching me into a gossipy conversation and I just became ears. See I do not look for reasons to purposely be upset. I personally look for positivity in my life. I concluded the conversation by saying what would you gain by listening to negativity coming from me. I told them if you are that hard strung on wanting to know. Can you perhaps think that maybe she was so limited financially and maybe she had a tough decision as to who to invite. Maybe it is hard for people to outwardly give their reasons, she and I are not enemies and I have no reason to think otherwise.
1 person likes this
@bingskee (5234)
• Philippines
15 Sep 10
well, the people around who make a fuzz about these small things are the ones who are truly affected. they speak a lot about it because they wanted to be invited. and you are right, there are more important things to do.
1 person likes this
@ggeeta (154)
• India
15 Sep 10
If the host is a real close friend of mine or if he is a relative very close to me, then it certainly makes a difference. I will be obviously hurt though i may forget it later if I am positive. But to take such things positively also takes lots of time. we can't expect close people to behave like that whatever may be the reason.
1 person likes this
@bingskee (5234)
• Philippines
15 Sep 10
well, i think there will always be a reason and as i have said, some of the reasons we wont bother to know. it would always be best to try to be positive.
1 person likes this
@barelal (111)
• India
15 Sep 10
ye sir you have told right,it will feel very sad, if my friend do this it will same on our friendship, but if there is some problem for him so he has to tell me, but it in rare case not to invite true friend.in mostly party time every one firstly invite his close friend and ask him to help for invite more friend..i believe on my friendship.
1 person likes this
@bingskee (5234)
• Philippines
15 Sep 10
i would still be friends with my friends who did not invite me. not really a big deal to me..
1 person likes this
@flauee (92)
15 Sep 10
if the celebrant or the host is a very close friend or shall we say best friend of mine, yes! i'll get hurt. i know its there prerogative who to invite or not.. but still... i'll get hurt and grumble "watch me! u wont get an invite from me.) LOL... ^_^
1 person likes this
@bingskee (5234)
• Philippines
15 Sep 10
ahah! you are vindictive ha ha ha
1 person likes this
@MsTickle (25180)
• Australia
17 Sep 10
I might be if I felt I was definitely a part of the group but if I was just a casual friend then it would not worry me overly much. It would depend also on who else was invited. I might feel left out but I might also be okay with it and understand why I was not included rather than feeling excluded.
@bingskee (5234)
• Philippines
19 Sep 10
we have to have reservations at times.. thank you for the comment.
@donsky14 (5947)
• Philippines
15 Sep 10
If the celebrant is a close friend of mine..then yes I will feel bad...and its gonna make me think that maybe there's something wrong between the two of us thats why s/he has forgotten about me.
1 person likes this
@bingskee (5234)
• Philippines
15 Sep 10
very natural, i guess...
1 person likes this
@paula27661 (15811)
• Australia
17 Sep 10
I would only feel bad if the person giving the party is a close friend, otherwise I am not generally bothered. It’s happened to me twice; two of the mothers at my daughter’s school have had a hen’s night and a birthday party which my good friend was invited to but I wasn’t. My friend felt a little bad for me but I didn’t because I really am not very close to the hostesses. It bothered my friend more than it bothered me!
@bingskee (5234)
• Philippines
19 Sep 10
well, perhaps we could consider that - how we are close to the host/ess.
1 person likes this
@mods196621 (3652)
• Philippines
15 Sep 10
I will not get hurt if i am not invited by the party. It is okay with me because if really i am not belong to that party why should i insist myself.. Better to wait for the right time of inviting me.
1 person likes this
@Angelgirl16 (2171)
• United States
15 Sep 10
Hi bingskee, I agree with you, about not be offended or hurt if you are not invited to a gathering of friends by someone you know. I think you should only be offended if the person who is giving the party or gathering, and you were suppose to be close friends that communicated often, and had lunch every once in awhile. In other words, you were not considered to be just a casual acquaintance. When giving a party, it is difficult to decided how many guests to invite and who will be on the guest list. Usually, your guest are people that are close to you that you communicate with and have some common interests. knowing a person doesn't alway entitle a person to be invited to the gathering. If you are considered to be a good friend of this person, why do you think you were not invited? Maybe just an oversight? I applaud your attitude.
@ddaguno (3107)
• Philippines
15 Sep 10
Yea. I cant say that I wont. Especially if I'm really close to that person and he/she knows taht I would enjoy being in that party. You are so understanding if you dont get bothered. Thanks goodness there are people like you around
1 person likes this
@bingskee (5234)
• Philippines
15 Sep 10
oh, thank you. when i was younger, i tend to be more 'sensitive' but i think it boils down to our deepest desire to be appreciated and accepted. i have grown to be more comfortable with myself i guess that it won't bother me the least if people, even close friends, will tend to forget about when once in a while. i hope not all the time though ha ha
1 person likes this
• United Arab Emirates
15 Sep 10
I would not be feeling good, but i would definately think that there would be a reason behind it. But if it was my wife she will definately feel bad and she would break all contacts with that person......
1 person likes this
@bingskee (5234)
• Philippines
15 Sep 10
ha ha ha that is not nice. i think we have to give other people the benefit of the doubt always.
1 person likes this
• United Arab Emirates
15 Sep 10
I will feel bad. But still i would take it as it comes. It will not effect me much. But if the same thing would happen wid my wife she would definately take the person out of the contact list.
1 person likes this
@34momma (13882)
• United States
16 Sep 10
i don't know.... I was very close to a person and we remained friendly but not as close. she recently got married and i was not invited to the wedding. I was not at all offended. if i was invited i would have went, but i was not upset that i wasn't. I mean there are friends and then there are good friends. I only have about 4 or 5 really good friends. now if they had an event and didn't ask me to join them, then i would be upset. but you know everyone has a reason for what they do. just because i don't like it or agree with it doesn't mean it's not a valild reason for them...
@bingskee (5234)
• Philippines
16 Sep 10
exactly, 34momma. there is always a valid reason. and true, too, that there are friends and there are good friends but still, it would always be better to always give the benefit of the doubt.
@skysuccess (8858)
• Singapore
15 Sep 10
bingskee, I suppose this is one where you could say that the closeness that you had is merely just your impression and sadly far from mutual. I'd just encourage that you look on the brighter side and not take this to heart. I cannot explain whatever had happened at your end but you are not alone as I have had your disappointment as well. However, my case is one where it has to do with my work where it takes me away from much time at home and my country. So, I just could not make it for most of the gatherings and after much time we just seem to drift further. I hope that yours may be one where is an oversight at your classmate's end and that they will recall you in due time.
@bingskee (5234)
• Philippines
16 Sep 10
maybe. but i couldnt care less. he he actually, skysuccess, i am not the least affected. if it's a friend, i still could understand it. we all have different sets of friends.
@Lore2009 (7378)
• United States
15 Sep 10
I think it will depend on what the party is for and how close we are. But I don't really party to begin with and people who are close to me may know that so they may not invite me anyway, so most likely I wouldn't be offended.
@bingskee (5234)
• Philippines
16 Sep 10
that is a nice way of putting it..
@sender621 (14894)
• United States
15 Sep 10
This all depends on how close i am to the host of the party. if the party is given by a good friend, I will certainly be hurt if i am not invited. If the host is just an acuaintance, i won't be bothered as much about not being invited to the party.
@bingskee (5234)
• Philippines
16 Sep 10
hello, sender621. i understand.
@annavi23 (6522)
• Philippines
17 Sep 10
i would feel bad if the host is really my close friend. but i guess there are always reasons for not being invited also. like we may have been notified but we didn't receive the message directly from them. or there are things that had happened that caused not having invitations from them. i think it's not good enough to be there at the party if you are really not invited. like you said,the host might be having lack of budget or there are people who they invite that you didn't know.or they have planned other things to celebrate the occasion with you as well. there are many options to think and it is not right to be hurt just as that,if you know you are really friends with them,they'll do the effort to made you invite and join the party.
@bingskee (5234)
• Philippines
19 Sep 10
we should always give the benefit of the doubt, annavi..
• Philippines
15 Sep 10
Well, I won't exactly get hurt but I would feel a little bit sad if she's a close friend of mine. I would really be wondering why she didn't invite me, but honestly this feeling I get usually just stays for a while. I would always think that maybe the gathering is for her other group of friends who are not close to me and if I was there, I would just be feeling out of place...and maybe she will be having another gathering some other time with our own group of friends. Actually, I'm talking from my own experience because this happened to me already. I have a close friend who has "other group of friends" too and she would always have separate gatherings for "our group" and for her "other group". I think it's just right, so that nobody would feel out of place during the occasion. So now, I would just think of it this way so I won't get hurt or feel bad...and I agree with you too that there are also other reasons we would not want to know and it's their right to choose who to invite. This is not really a problem for me, I'm a very understanding person. :)
@bingskee (5234)
• Philippines
16 Sep 10
hello, pinkmelody! this is i think is the best response for the situation. people have to understand. our friends have other group of friends, so why will you be affected?